Problem to watch European DVD on Stand alone DVD player

vbimport

Our friends brought 3 DVD from Hungary and we are having problem watching them on a stand alone DVD player, yet it plays perfectly in our computer. I tried using your software,DVDFAB-Platinum (movie only)and Free DVD to remove the Uops protection, burn the DVD no problem, but did not solve our problem, we can’t still watch it in our DVD player. What am I doing wrong, what other protection these DVD would have. Please help!!

[QUOTE=tesilla1983;2114468]Our friends brought 3 DVD from Hungary and we are having problem watching them on a stand alone DVD player, yet it plays perfectly in our computer. I tried using your software,DVDFAB-Platinum (movie only)and Free DVD to remove the Uops protection, burn the DVD no problem, but did not solve our problem, we can’t still watch it in our DVD player. What am I doing wrong, what other protection these DVD would have. Please help!![/QUOTE]

Greetings tesilla1983 and welcome to the DVDFab forum, in common settings>> “Protection” did you select the correct RCE to be removed for Hungary/Europe…I think it is 5

the movie is probably in PAL format for europe & your USA TV, or your DVD player, or both cannot handle PAL. Look on the original DVD packaging for format information.

PAL is not an issue when viewing on PC but PAL vs NTSC format IS an issue with some consumer electronics. There have been lots of threads on converting PAL to NTSC, but in short, DVDFAB cannot do that. DVDFAB can remove all protections, but cannot do this format conversion for you.

^ Exactly.
Most people opt for a dvd player that is NTSC <—> PAL capable.
My understanding is that many players in Europe will play both, but not so in the U.S.
DVD players that will handle both are becoming more prevalent here though.

@ tesilla1983,
If you by chance still have the main movie rip you got from Fab, open it in DVDShrink and un-check “split VOB files into 1gb size”, you’ll have on large VOB that you can then open in FAVC or DVDFlick choosing [B]NTSC[/B] output…You’ll lose some quality since you’re re-encoding the video… (but minimal, IMO)…
You could also use VobMerge to create one VOB from Fabs main movie vobs (see VIDEO_TS folder)…I’m not sure if using vob passthrough in Fab will output to one VOB, perhaps someone can confirm this…

there are other methods,however it requires de-muxing the video and audio>re-encoding>applying pulldown>authoring…You may not want to get into this for now…

By far the easiest would be to just purchase a new player that supports both PAL and NTSC…:wink:

[QUOTE=tesilla1983;2114468]Our friends brought 3 DVD from Hungary and we are having problem watching them on a stand alone DVD player, yet it plays perfectly in our computer. I tried using your software,DVDFAB-Platinum (movie only)and Free DVD to remove the Uops protection, burn the DVD no problem, but did not solve our problem, we can’t still watch it in our DVD player. What am I doing wrong, what other protection these DVD would have. Please help!![/QUOTE]

As everybody mentioned. Your problem is PAL format. To convert DVD with menus and all is not a small feet.
If you are in Canada, there is a PHILIPS player for about $40 ( at Best Buy)which will play your DVD on NTSC television. If the DVD is region coded (region 2 for Europe), than it is very simple to modify this player for a “0” region (region free).

[quote=t0nee1;2114596]@ tesilla1983,
If you by chance still have the main movie rip you got from Fab, open it in DVDShrink and un-check “split VOB files into 1gb size”, you’ll have on large VOB that you can then open in FAVC or DVDFlick choosing [B]NTSC[/B] output…You’ll lose some quality since you’re re-encoding the video… (but minimal, IMO)…
You could also use VobMerge to create one VOB from Fabs main movie vobs (see VIDEO_TS folder)…I’m not sure if using vob passthrough in Fab will output to one VOB, perhaps someone can confirm this…

there are other methods,however it requires de-muxing the video and audio>re-encoding>applying pulldown>authoring…You may not want to get into this for now…

By far the easiest would be to just purchase a new player that supports both PAL and NTSC…;)[/quote]VOB Passthrough will indeed output a single VOB file. NTFS required for many movies (FAT32 file size limit). I agree with everyone else, just get one of the inexpensive standalones.

[QUOTE=cybmole;2114570]the movie is probably in PAL format for europe & your USA TV, or your DVD player, or both cannot handle PAL. Look on the original DVD packaging for format information.

PAL is not an issue when viewing on PC but PAL vs NTSC format IS an issue with some consumer electronics. There have been lots of threads on converting PAL to NTSC, but in short, DVDFAB cannot do that. DVDFAB can remove all protections, but cannot do this format conversion for you.[/QUOTE]
I see what the problem now and thanks to all who gave me the straight answer and the solution. These DVDS are in PAL format and Region Coded 2 and like you all say, our TV and DVD player do not support PAL format. The best thing is either watch these movies in the computer or buy a new stand alone and new TV. Thanks guys!!

[quote=tesilla1983;2114921]I see what the problem now and thanks to all who gave me the straight answer and the solution. These DVDS are in PAL format and Region Coded 2 and like you all say, our TV and DVD player do not support PAL format. The best thing is either watch these movies in the computer or buy a new stand alone and new TV. Thanks guys!![/quote]You don’t need a new TV, just the standalone the converts PAL->NTSC. Good luck with it.

I found the manual on our DVD player and it showed that when a DVD is in a PAL format and played in a NTSC tv the picture has problem vertically and this is what is happening. Our stand alone player can read the DVD, but playing the movie with this problem, if the player cannot read the file then we get the message no disc (happen on cd or dvd recorded in different format other than pal. That means to say that our player can both play PAL and NTSC format, also it can play 6 regions. Our TV according to the manual should be a multi-system, which I don’t know if there is any in the market. Is there any software that can convert PAL file to NTSC? I will appreciate your opinions about it.

[QUOTE=signals;2114935]You don’t need a new TV, just the standalone the converts PAL->NTSC.[/QUOTE]
I think you are a bit confused. As signals said, you don’t need a new tv.
It doesn’t matter if you use a standalone player capable of converting NTSC <—> PAL or use software to convert PAL to NTCS. Once converted to NTSC (via hardware or software), your tv is receiving NTSC.

Yes, as your dvd manual said, you can use your current dvd player and buy a nice, new, multi-system tv.
I just saw a 46" Toshiba for $2200.
Myself, I’d opt for the $59 player

As t0nee1 said, there are any number of threads on cdf speaking to this.
Please use the search function to see your options.
Google is also your friend.
You can start with:
http://www.videohelp.com/convert

Here is one method, posted courtesy of Kerry56:

[I]1. Download Vob2Mpg http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG
Run the dvd you have now through this program and it will convert the vob files to one mpeg2 file. It is non-destructive and will not reencode the video.

1. Download FAVC, and the two helper programs if you need them called Avisynth and Windows Net 2.0. There are direct links to Avisynth and Net 2.0 at the FAVC home page: http://favcfavc.googlepages.com/

2. Download AvsP 2.02 http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AvsP
    This is a script writing program for Avisynth.

3. At this point in time you should have Avisynth, Net 2.0 and FAVC installed on your computer.

4. Open AvsP and drag and drop the mpeg2 file you made with Vob2Mpg into the main window. You should get a line of text that looks something like this: DirectShowSource(“C:\Name of your movie.mpg”) Save this script. It will be a very small .avs file.

5. Now start up FAVC. On the first page, hit the little magnifying glass icon to look for your input files. You are going to use the small .avs file as your input. Next, choose the DVD format you want, which in this case is PAL. You should use the HC encoder. There are other options you can use in this program, like the size of the output, output as ISO rather than files, etc. If you have questions on settings in FAVC post back here. You can also make a small menu if you like.

6. Start FAVC and let it run. Output should be a PAL dvd which you can burn to disk however you want. FAVC will allow automatic burning with ImgBurn if you selected that option on the first page[/I]

[QUOTE=tesilla1983;2115461]I found the manual on our DVD player and it showed that when a DVD is in a PAL format and played in a NTSC tv the picture has problem vertically and this is what is happening. Our stand alone player can read the DVD, but playing the movie with this problem, if the player cannot read the file then we get the message no disc (happen on cd or dvd recorded in different format other than pal. That means to say that our player can both play PAL and NTSC format, also it can play 6 regions. Our TV according to the manual should be a multi-system, which I don’t know if there is any in the market. Is there any software that can convert PAL file to NTSC? I will appreciate your opinions about it.[/QUOTE]

Your DVD manual is telling you that the player is multi region, but it will output either NTSC or PAL signal depend on what you put in. What you need is a player which will convert PAL to NTSC as it is being played.
You do not need new TV, just check what inputs your TV has and buy converting DVD player with those outputs.
Most of these converting progs will convert movie only, if you want to duplicate DVD than you will end up re authoring menus and chapter menus, lots of work.
You also may end up with sound out of sync and other little quirks of conversion.
I used to do this myself, but at the end went and bought new DVD player. No more problems.
Just put DVD in and everything is there in original.

You guys know more than me, I am not a very technical person and definitely don’t want to spend so much time or money just to watch few DVDS from Europe. I will buy a new DVD player and trusting in your knowledge that this is the best solution and inexpensive. Thanks for the honest opinions and sharing your knowledge.

take your back up copy that is in PAL format with you when you go buy your dvd player. Let them know you want to play it to make sure that the dvd player is capable of playing them. I do this all the time when I purchase new dvd player