Problem ripping movie

A movie who’s name shall remain nameless is really giving me a hard time. It plays on my set top box ok and in my PCs also. But when I try to rip it, it hangs at the same spot every time. It will go along great then I’ll hear the drive slow down and around 50-something percent of the way through, the ugly VTS_01_4.VOB files rears its ugly head and DVD HD Decrypter will display a notice saying that it encountered a read problem and suggests enabling the built-in feature that’s supposed to handle protection schemes. Even if I enable that feature the result is the same.

I’ve used a different drive, I’ve used DVD Decrypter and I’ve used AnyDVD. They all have problems with the same file at the same point in the process. They display a CRC error. If it’s a copy protection thing, why would it be introduced halfway into the main movie? I ran the disc through my Doctor RX repair 3 times but that did nothing. The disc showed signs of use but there were no deep gouges or anything. It must be some serious defect that the various decrypter apps can’t handle.

Sounds like a damaged or faulty disc to me.

Try a ‘Scan Disc’ test with Nero ‘CD-DVD Speed’.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I agree with Wombler.

Most likely a bum press. Bum discs get out of the factory from time to time.

You could also try ImgBurn, with anydvd running in the background. It’s gotten through some damaged discs when all other programs failed me.

If that fails,take it to a major dvd rental store that has a commercial disc buffer.

If it’s encryption related,anydvd should take care that.It always has for me.

Same spot everytime sounds like disk to me…

c’mon… fess up.
what’s the name of this commercial copywrite protected, FBI warned and owned by a major studio movie?

[QUOTE=rago88;2032587]Same spot everytime sounds like disk to me…

c’mon… fess up.
what’s the name of this commercial copywrite protected, FBI warned and owned by a major studio movie?[/QUOTE]

That’s must be some real microscopic flaw because it plays on every player. Maybe playing is more forgiving than decrypting.

How do you run ImgBurn with AnyDVD in the background. I know AnyDVD already sits in the background waiting for a disc but where does ImgBurn fit in? Can you elaborate?

I never said it was a major studio. I’d tell you, but then…well you get the idea.

[QUOTE=jamesd3rd;2032601]
How do you run ImgBurn with AnyDVD in the background. I know AnyDVD already sits in the background waiting for a disc but where does ImgBurn fit in? Can you elaborate?

I never said it was a major studio. I’d tell you, but then…well you get the idea.[/QUOTE]

Well you have anydvd running in the background then you start imgburn once anydvd has opened the disc. You use imgburn to burn the dvd to disc. As for your movie I believe anydvd is supposed to work for those fliks so do you have clonedvd2 also. Anydvd and clonedvd2 will probably work for that movie

[QUOTE=jamesd3rd;2032601]I never said it was a major studio. I’d tell you, but then…well you get the idea.[/QUOTE]Must be pron :smiley: Don’t be embarrassed. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Regards

You could try IsoPuzzle. Make sure AnyDVD is running in the background.

Could you try doing a scan with Nero CD-DVD Speed (with AnyDVD enabled in the background) and tell us if it encounters any red squares?

Is it a pressed disc or a backup disc?

Info on ImgBurn is here:

I’ve used it for DL backups and Re-ripping older backups,so I had no compression to worry about.It’s pretty close to dvd decrypter’s ISO mode in case you used it. BTW: Dvd decrypter is another aggressive ripper that may work.

Gotta change a couple settings: Tools/settings:

CSS tab: Rip with Brute force
I/O: Tick the box that says Ignore all read errors.
OK

Your dvd-rw drive can’t rip through bad sectors. It need’s every bit of data. Dvd players can get through those bad sectors. You may have hit that certain bad sector,but no telling how many more bad sectors after that.There could be many bad spots.

[quote=blutach;2032703]Must be pron :smiley: Don’t be embarrassed. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Regards[/quote]

I like pron & shrimp & crab & lobster.

I hear there’s a lotion can kill crabs. :iagree: And don’t be embarrassed about ‘shrimp’…Afterall, size isn’t everything…:disagree:

Slip another pron on the barbie :slight_smile:

Regards

[QUOTE=blutach;2033217]Slip another pron on the barbie :slight_smile:

Regards[/QUOTE]

Gives a whole new meaning to burning discs! :bigsmile:

I’ll pass on the inevitable question of whether ‘DVD pron’ or ‘DVD Shrimp’ is better. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Now that really did make me ROTF Wombler. :smiley:

Regards