Problem regarding reading dvd

vbimport

i have combo drive, i can read data from cd but not from dvd so please give me suggestion to solve this problem,
thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Can you provide more details? Do you have problems with burned discs or also with pressed media?

What drive is exactly? Did you try to update firmware?

Hi,

the inability to read one kind of media (DVD or CD) is often a sign for a defective drive. You may try to carefully clean the lens (no cleaner disc!), perhaps this helps. If not, then you need to go shopping for a new one.

Michael

Hi,

I have the same problem as this. I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 with a combo disc reader -
TSST corp DVD±RW TS-L633B
I have no problem reading CD’s or burning them but when it comes to DVD’s they simply wont work. Does anybody know of a cure to this problem or a trigger for that matter. Someone mensioned something above about cleaning. If this would rectify the problem please can someone give me instructions on how to do this. Oh also another thing i found confusing about this is. When i go onto device manager and click on the driver it comes up saying “This device is working properly.” does this mean its a hardware problem. Any help would be much appreciated.:smiley:

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

If device manager reports “This device is working properly” this means only that the drive is correctly recognized by the operative system but the drive can be also not working correctly in all its parts.

Because of the drive has two separate lasers, one for CD and another for DVD, it is possible that the DVD laser is damaged. If this happen, the drive is still able to work correctly with CD, but of course not with DVD.

If the DVD laser is damaged, however, the drive is not able to use at all any DVD (both pressed and burned discs), i.e. is not able to recognize DVD. If you have problems only with reading DVD but not with writing them, then the DVD laser is working properly.

To clean a drive there are two methods: using a cleaning kit (there are many available in stores) or opening the drive and cleaning lens by yourself.

Bear in mind that if the drive is still under warranty, opening it will void warranty :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2494736]
To clean a drive there are two methods: using a cleaning kit (there are many available in stores)[/quote]Big No, No, No!
There must be a reason why at least Pioneer and Philips strongly advise to [B]not [/B][B]use [/B]these cleaning discs with their ODD products.

or opening the drive and cleaning lens by yourself.
That’s the only option. :iagree:

Michael

[QUOTE=INeeedHelp;2494712]Hi,

I have the same problem as this. I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 with a combo disc reader -
TSST corp DVD±RW TS-L633B
[/QUOTE]

This is no combo but a DVD writer device.

Please try michael’s suggestion.

I would also suggest booting up in SAFE MODE and trying with DVD media.

Also, last but not least, its necessary to use a dvd burning program to make usage of BLANK dvd media!!!