Problem reading cd-rw discs

vbimport

Hoping you guys can help me out with this. I have a Dell dimension L500c (500 MHz processor, 128 MB RAM). Today I installed a CD-RW/DVD-R drive. I bought this drive some time ago and somewhere along the line lost the installation instructions, so I did the install without any.

Here’s the problem. When I insert a DVD, it plays just fine. But when I insert a CD-RW of photos, the CD isn’t recognized. Instead, I get a message saying that the drive is “not accessible. Incorrect function”.

As far as I know, I’ve installed everything properly. There are three cables plugged into the drive: the analog audio cable; the IDE interface cable; and the power supply cable. All seem to be inserted correctly. Any ideas?

Sounds right to me. Did you try updating the drives firmware and/or ide drivers? If you can try the disc in another PC to see if it is damaged.

What program did you use to create the cd-rw?
I know that if you use a program that makes the disk appendable like Ahead Incd then other drives can not read the disk do to the way it is formatted.

Probably a cheap CD-RW. Always burn using CD ROM ISO format. Use multi-session if you want to add more material to the CD at a later time.