Problem playing blu ray movies

vbimport

I want to play blu ray movies on my desktop (6 yr old Dell Dimension 9200) & found out according to BD advisor I couldn’t. I upgraded monitor to hdcp capable ASUS VE276, & put in blu ray burner ATAPI iHBS112. Connected using DVI connector. Do not have hdmi port on my tower.
Ran BD advisor & report says everything is good. I’m using Power DVD 11.
Tried several blu ray movies & they don’t play properly. At times throughout a movie, it will like slow down slightly & audio is distorted. Does this sporadically.
Any ideas??
Thanx
G
<center>:(</center> <center></center>

[QUOTE=gmony21;2618953]I want to play blu ray movies on my desktop (6 yr old Dell Dimension 9200) & found out according to BD advisor I couldn’t. I upgraded monitor to hdcp capable ASUS VE276, & put in blu ray burner ATAPI iHBS112. Connected using DVI connector. Do not have hdmi port on my tower.
Ran BD advisor & report says everything is good. I’m using Power DVD 11.
Tried several blu ray movies & they don’t play properly. At times throughout a movie, it will like slow down slightly & audio is distorted. Does this sporadically.
Any ideas??
Thanx
G
<center>:(</center> <center></center>[/QUOTE]

What processor and video does your 9200 have? Looking at the potential specs for your machine, you may be borderline for having enough power to play Blu-ray. You might want to download the trial of Arcsoft Totalmedia theater to see if it plays nicer with your hardware.

You may not have a fast enough processor or have a video card that is capable of taking some of the load off the processor (decoding acceleration).

In general you’ll need at least a dual core processor and a video card that has HD acceleration.

Let us know the exact cpu you have and your video card make and model.

Ok-Graphics card is GeForce 9500 GT-& I updated driver.
Processor type
Intel® Pentium® 4
Intel® Pentium® D
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo

Level 2 (L2) Cache

at least 2 MB on Intel Pentium D, Pentium 4, and Core processors

Ok, the video card specifications shows it has HD capability, but you haven’t told us the exact cpu you have.

Pentium 4, Pentium D and Core 2 Duo are three different lines of cpus made by Intel that could possibly be used in your Dell computer.

In your computer, go to Device Manager–>Processors and tell us what you see there.

Please go into your control panel>device manager and look under display adapter and processor to see what you actually have installed?

@Kerry- I see you can type faster than me :bigsmile:

OK-it says "Intel ® Core ™ 2 cpu 6400@2.13 GHz

Ps-it says that twice in processors.

Your hardware is within acceptable specifications for blu ray playback. Which leads us to software issues.

I gave up on PowerDVD some time ago and use Arcsoft Total MediaTheater for blu ray. You might want to follow Dean’s earlier advice and download their free trial and see if playback improves:
http://www.arcsoft.com/totalmedia-theatre/

There are some free players that can handle the main movies in blu ray, but you lose the menus, and it is much more difficult to access extras. But if you want to try one, the best is Media Player Classic HomeCinema:

There may be a setting in PowerDVD to enable hardware acceleration from your video card. Check to see that it is actually enabled.

Edit: By the way, don’t know if you’d be interested in buying that Arcsoft player, but its regular price is $99 and you can use this coupon code NYARC30 to get a 30% discount. Need to test it extensively first.

Thanx for your help