Problem playing back burned DVD's

vbimport

Hi,

I recently burnt a DVD movie using Nero. The movie plays fine for around the first 20 minuets and then it start going blurry and becomes choppy until the dvd players generates an error and the restarts the movie.

The DVD player is an RCA model 5240P and the DVD media typ is Memorex +R RW.

The movie I burnt was in an AVI format. I assume Nero premium did the necessary convertion and it works fine on my computer but on the RCA DVD it plays fine for 20 minutes and then crashes. I tried to burn it twice and got the same results.

Any ideas ?

First of all, which computer DVD burner did you use? Some DVD burners have been known to produce poor-quality burns with certain media – and most older DVD+R burners cannot bookmark the discs to DVD-ROM. Also, some standalone DVD players have serious trouble reading DVD+R discs which have been bookmarked as DVD+R rather than DVD-ROM.

Second, Memorex has never been renowned for distributing good-quality recordable digital media to begin with: They usually get their media from lousy-quality manufacturers and/or get “rejects” from top-quality or mid-level-quality makers.

It’s an LG DVD burner. The Burner says it support the Media type. What get’s me it that the DVD works fine on another computer but on my DVD player it fails.

I will try to burn with better quality DVD’s and see how that goes.

I thought it might have to do with how fast I burned. I think I used the default which is 16x. I was told that might be too fast.

Also I will try the dvd in a more recent DVD player and see if that’s where the problem lies.

I just thought I would pick someone’s brain with my problem while waiting :slight_smile:

Try to play it in your computer if does the same thing then blame it on Memorex media I have very bad experiences with Memorex discs.

The DVD works perfectly on my computer and on other computers.

So it’s either my DVD player that is probably the problem or I just need to burn at a slower speed. One thing I need to to do is to try it on a different but newer DVD player and see what happens

I’m having the exact same problem. My movies get to about the 30 minute mark and then go back to the beginning of the movie. I’m using Nero and Winavi for conversion. I’m using Dataware DVD+Rs. The strange thing is, a lot of the movies I’ve burned in the past have worked maybe once or twice, then they’d do what I said above. Is it the software? The DVD+Rs? My DVD player? I really can’t figure this one out.

The DVD+Rs?

most likely. use Verbatim.

[QUOTE=voltron902;2309108]I’m having the exact same problem. My movies get to about the 30 minute mark and then go back to the beginning of the movie. I’m using Nero and Winavi for conversion. I’m using Dataware DVD+Rs. The strange thing is, a lot of the movies I’ve burned in the past have worked maybe once or twice, then they’d do what I said above. Is it the software? The DVD+Rs? My DVD player? I really can’t figure this one out.[/QUOTE]
Perhaps the guys above aren’t stating this clearly enough :disagree:
Memorex Media is commonly crap media. They buy cheap crap from china (from whichever company is cheapest today) & stick a memorex sticker on it. :iagree:
The problems you are experiencing correspond with the same symptoms that many people experience, or have experienced over the last 5 years of DVD burning - you are not alone :disagree:

It’s a common misconception that discs will burn better at low speeds. This is incorrect, except in the case of Laptop drives (which are usually crap burners).
16x Media should rarely be burned at less than 8x speed, although in rare cases (with older drives) you might go back to 4x or 6x because you have a very old burner that can’t burn them at a decent speed.
Newer DVD writers should likely burn 16x rated DVD’s at 12x or 16x …

[QUOTE=Antarius;1654837]The DVD works perfectly on my computer and on other computers.

So it’s either my DVD player that is probably the problem or I just need to burn at a slower speed. One thing I need to to do is to try it on a different but newer DVD player and see what happens[/QUOTE]
PC optical drives are generally much better READERS than drives in standalone players, Car players, portable jukeboxes & etc.
A good quality disc will have a very low error rate. A bad quality disc will have a high error rate - however a single read error does NOT mean that the DVD will result in a unreadable error.
PC’s have the OS to defend against read errors, or take measures to counteract read errors, besides computer desktop drives being better readers, whereas standalones do not.
However, you can use programs to measure the errors on any particular disc, getting the information straight from the drive, and bypassing much of the OS.

Low quality discs will often had ZONES of bad quality material, and this results in an unreadable error in this area. :doh: Worse … the materials used for these discs can degrade quite quickly … Nasty, eh? It’s almost a crime against humanity :iagree:
Good quality discs have consistency across the entire disc -and although they may have read errors, they are limited, and will not prevent reconstruction of the data by the reader :iagree:

Buy good discs … you’ll be saving time, money, and the environment :iagree: