Problem on burning CDs - GCC 4521B

Hey guys, this is this problem: i have been using this drive HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC4521B for aprox. 1 year now… and it simply stopped detecting empty cds for burning.
At first i thought it was the media i was trying to use, but i switched it and nothing. Nero just keep sayin: Insert the emppy media for writing…

Could this be a dead drive? Would firmware update help? If so, which firmware shoul i install? Why do this happen?
Thank you anyways…

Some information i forgot: the driver reads cds perfectly, just doesn’t detect empty cds to burn…

Athlon XP 2600+
Asus A7N8X-E
80 Gb 7200rpm
512MB(2x256)
GeForce FX 5200

If you can, update Nero.

Probably disabling the IMAPI Burn Engine from Windows would help, also uninstalling Packet-Writing Software like InCD.

Finally, if you can you should activate AUTO-INSERT-NOTIFICATION. :wink:

I’m afraid that’s not the problem… have tried used 3 versions of nero, and all presented the same error

Disabling…

Does that come in windows?

Disabling…

Now, let’s see how things are after step 2 and 4

Looks the same for me, even after deactivating IMAPI… (AIN was already on)

InCD comes with Nero.
Tried cleaning the lens/drive?

Not yet…
how can i uninstall the incd?

Normally in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS. Not?!

Actually, i really think the problem is on the lens…
Nero is uptated…
turning off the IMAPI didn’t work…
the AIN was on…
I didn’t find any InCD in remove/add programs…

The only thing i haven’t done is cleaning the drive or testing it on another computer…

Important for systems with nVidia nForce chipset:
MtkWinFlash does not work in combination with nVidia’s original IDE drivers. Disable nVidia’s IDE drivers (temporarily) and enable generic Windows IDE drivers. Alternatively use Mtkflash, in true DOS.

I have two options: either i deactivade the IDE drivers, or i use the MKT tool to do the firmware update trough DOS. But then, all the files won’t fit one disk…

Then use 2 disks, I can see no problem for this!

Hi had the exact same problem and it is that piece of crap of Windows built in burning engine the culprit. Turn it off and reinstall the DVD drive. Just go in the hardware manager uninstall or delete it. Then restart it will be recognized from the system and installed. This at least worked for me.