Problem merging with DVDFab Platinum

vbimport

Following the tutorial to merge two dvds, I copied them (the Video TS files) to two folders. I then browsed from the “Source” box to the first file. When I click on that file, however, the entire DVDFab interface disappears!! Tried it a number of times (each time restarting DVDFab), but each time the DVDFab program disappears. What in the heck am I doing wrong??

Thanks so much for any help.

I’ll try one and see if it works for me.

^^^

Thanks!!:bow:

Sorry, it worked fine for me. I am using DVDFab v5.2.0.8–update to that and try again. Post again if that does not work, along with some details of your system: RAM, OS, etc.

signals,

First of all, thanks for your time.

Upgraded from 5.1.2.2 to 5.2.0.8. Did not resolve problem.

Details: XP, sp 3. 4 GB RAM. 500 GB hard drive.

What I’m doing:

1. Open DVDFab
  2. Click on “Merge”
  3. Click on manilla folder to right of ‘Source’ dropdown box
  4. Navigate to Video-TS file of first dvd to be merged
  5. Click on that file
  6. DVD Fab disappears

Alternately:

1. Click on icon to right of manilla folder
  2. Browse to Video_TS file
  3. Double click on the file, but it will not open. Is Video_TS file not the correct file type?? Do I need an iso file???

Thanks again…

No rosario, opening the VIDEO_TS folder should not cause a crash. Sounds like you have a great system for working with DVDs and it should not be a problem. What happens if you click open the same VIDEO_TS folder in one of the other modes, say, Customize perhaps? Does this cause a crash also? Try this too: go to Common Settings->Preview and UNcheck both of the top two boxes that cause Preview to autostart and see if that helps. I am assuming you don’t have any driver-type decrypters or burners active on your system(Nero InCD, AnyDVD etc)–these can cause conflicts with DVDFab and unpredictable behavior.

signal,

“What happens if you click open the same VIDEO_TS folder in one of the other modes, say, Customize perhaps? Does this cause a crash also?”

Yes.

“Try this too: go to Common Settings->Preview and UNcheck both of the top two boxes that cause Preview to autostart and see if that helps.”

Did not help.

“I am assuming you don’t have any driver-type decrypters or burners active on your system(Nero InCD, AnyDVD etc)–these can cause conflicts with DVDFab and unpredictable behavior.”

I have Nero, DVD Decrypter, and Rip-It, but they are not running.

Again, don’t know its significance, but as I mentioned before, when I click on the icon next to the manilla folder the dialogue box which opens specifically requires a “DVD image file” (which it specifies as *ini, *iso, *img, *nrg).

Any more ideas? Thanks again for all your effort…

The icon on the right is used to open ISO image files created with DVDFab or another application and I don’t think it is related to this problem, which seems to involve the way DVDFab opens files. If you have WinDVD or PowerDVD, see if the folders you made to be merged will play on these software players. You might also try going to Common Settings->Read and 1)use the drop down to force DVDFab into the SPTI I/O mode and 2) UNcheck the box near the bottom that says “Enable Read Ahead Cache”. You can do these at thte same time but it might help to find out where the problem is if you would do them one at a time and then try to open a folder. Make sure the other applications you mentioned are DISABLED.

signal,

Made the Common Settings changes, but program still crashes.

Checked, and files play perfectly in PowerDVD.

Aaaaaargh!

Well, you have tried all the magic tricks, with the possible exception of turning off ‘Check for New Version Automatically’, which is in Common Settings->General. Don’t know what else to suggest. Sorry you are having trouble. Try DVDShrink and see if it will open and scan those files. It is free (don’t ever pay for a download of this) and has the merge-like re-author feature.

DVD Shrink - one of the greatest, and least fully exploited by its users, programs ever!!! Been using it for years, and until you just suggested it never thought of using it for this merge. I feel like an idiot!!

My problem is solved, thanks to your patience; but, I MUST say, that it is annoying that a program for which I was required to pay nothing (although I did make a donation, as I have for ImgBurn, and other valuable freebies) works where a program for which I paid $49 does not…

I’m sure this will only be temporary. Glad you have a workaround.

[QUOTE=signals;2174223]I’m sure this will only be temporary. Glad you have a workaround.[/QUOTE]

Why do you think it will only be temporary. If you had no problem doing the merge, it would seem that it’s not a program bug - more likely is something I’m doing wrong…

I wrote the guide for Merge and I can tell you, you are not doing anything wrong (at least not from what you describe). There was a bug that did not appear on all systems. Download and install v5.2.0.9. You will see that a fix is mentioned in the release notes. You can get it here: http://www.dvdfab.com/download/DVDFab5209Beta_avangate-689.exe Try that and let us know if that fixes things for you. Hope so.

signals,

Downloaded v5.2.0.9. Same problem. Also again tried ‘Customize’ and it crashed as well. Thanks for trying. You guys are certainly on top of problems, and it’s very much appreciated.

Sorry it is still not working for you. I will let it rattle around in my head and see if I get any more ideas. Turning off the Preview boxes in Common Settings fixed a crash problem that some others were having with this (5209) version, you might try that again.

^^^

“Turning off the Preview boxes in Common Settings fixed a crash problem that some others were having with this (5209) version, you might try that again.”

Actually, I had left the settings with all of the changes you had previously suggested - including turning off the Preview boxes. It didn’t solve the problem.

I’m curious, though, when the programs of “some others” crashed, did the program simply ‘disappear’ as it does with mine? I’ve never had a program ‘crash’ like that…