Problem making a personal backup in dvdshrink

Hello, I have been having an issue with my lite-on SHW-160P6S10C drive purchased at wal-mart. While trying to backup friends season 9 any disc, I get the error
‘DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.
Failed to read file “g:”
Copy Protection Error - The read failed because the sector is encrypted.’
immediately. I am using the newest version of Slysoft AnyDVD (6.0.8.2) and DVD Shrink 3.2 on Windows XP. I never had a problem with my prior drive which was a HP Lightscribe DVD640i. Also, the disc rips just fine on my laptop with the same version of anydvd and dvdshrink, however it is running Windows vista. I will try wiping my drive and installing Vista on my desktop to see if that fixes the problem, since I want to switch to that for my primary OS, but cannot do it for awhile. See screenshot for error. I have searched google and these forums and cannot find an answer. I greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks…

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

DVD shrink is not the very best ripper available. I suggest to rip first on HDD and then use shrink to edit your backups.

You can use dvd decrypter in association with anydvd to rip

Geno, many thanks for the reply. Thanks for the suggestion. I Have always used dvdshrink because it has never provided a problem for me, no matter what the movie or TV series I was trying to backup. However you are right, DVD Decrypter is probably a better ripper, then I can just use DVD Shrink to shrink the already unprotected movie from the harddisk folder. I have tried it, and it works well with friends season 9. Thanks for the help. :slight_smile:

Another good reason to rip the files first is that it’s probably less stress on your dvd drive.

I believe DVDShrink just takes what it needs right off the drive and the disc is spun up for a longer period of time.

If you rip the files first the drive is only spun for that short period of time and then DVDShrink can do it’s work a little bit faster.

I would recommend trying RipIt4Me overtop of DVD Decrypter/DVD Shrink. It handles all the new protections that DVD Decrypter doesn’t, since DVD Decrypter is no longer being updated.

Basically, if you have DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter already installed, all you should have to do is download the RipIt4Me installer from this page:

http://www.ripit4me.org/download.html

Here is a direct link to the EXE:

http://www.ripit4me.org/RipIt4Me%20Installer.exe

Once you download and install RipIt4Me, it should create a desktop icon. Just start the program from that icon, follow the Wizard, make sure to run the FixVTS with all options checked when prompted, and you should be good to go.

I prefer to first rip a movie to the hard drive with copy protection removed, then process that VIDEO_TS folder with tools like DVD Shrink or DVD MovieFactory as a separate process. It’s easier for me if I break it into parts like that - rip, then process.

Good luck.

Agent and Bearded, thanks for the replies. Bearded, Ripit4Me sounds like it serves exactly the same function as AnyDVD. If this is correct, what is the difference between using ripit4me with dvddecrypter and dvdshrink, or using anydvd with dvddecrypter and dvdshrink? Which is generally regarded as the best, ripit4me or anydvd? I think I am kind of confused as the function of ripit4me, is it the ripper like dvdshrink and dvddecrypter, or is it the copy protection remover like anydvd?

After reading further, it appears that ripit4me rips the files to disk like dvddecrypter then runs fixvts on the ripped files to fix bad pointers and structural copy protections just as Slysoft anyDVD, is this correct? Then all I have to do is shrink the files to go on a DVD-5 if i want to. It sounds like there is no need for anydvd or dvddecrypter.

jayjay22,
Maybe you could use the AnyDVD’s “Rip Video-DVD to Harddisk” option. And then use Shrink?

0301orih, thanks for the suggestion. It is an idea, and I have seen that option. Have not used it yet since I have not read much about it, so I am unsure how well it works. I’ll have to check up on it. Thanks again for all the help everyone.

AnyDVD runs in the background. RipIt4Me does not.

Also, as with the big 3 - AnyDVD, DVDFab Decrypter and RipIt4Me/DVD Decrypter, one may be more up to date with certain copy protection schemes than the others at any given time. So one time AnyDVD might work, another time DVDFab Decrypter, or maybe RipIt4Me/DVD Decrypter.

So I generally suggest folks try all 3 in rotation until they find one that works.

DVDFab Decrypter and the separate RipIt4Me/DVD Decrypter setup are only in memory when they are RIPPING the protected DVD to your hard drive. AnyDVD is in memory all the time, which means it’s still running when you move on to process the DVD files in DVD Shrink or DVD MovieFactory or whatever other app.

RipIt4Me is really a Front End for DVD Decrypter - one that adds copy protection handling for newer formats. It still uses the DVD Decrypter engine. FixVTS is on the back-end of the rip and is indeed designed to clean up non-compliant stuff, some of which may be thrown in by the DVD companies in their new copy protection schemes to help confuse various ripper apps.

Normally, if AnyDVD is not working, I recommend that the operator Unload that from memory and try either DVDFab Decrypter or the RipIt4Me/DVD Decrypter apps and see if they can rip the DVD and remove the protection.

Bearded kirklander, thanks so much for the help. I guess I will keep using anyDVD with DVD decrypter and DVD shrink for now since that has never failed me as far as producing good quality backups. I will however keep it in the back of my mind that I have a few other very good options in case a movie ever gives me trouble.

I do have one more question kind of related. When friends season 9 started to give me an issue with anydvd and dvdshrink, I downloaded and started using dvdfab platinum. Every DVD that I have done with dvdfab platinum (the friends season 9 4 discs and the friends season 10 first 2 discs) has come out ok, except for every 10 or so minutes the picture and audio skip just a bit. It kind of breaks up into large squares and jumps forward like 1 or 2 seconds. Not sure what is up, possibly it is just the program or maybe my configuration. I am currectly in the process of redoing these discs with the tried and true method of dvd decrypter/dvdshring with anydvd. The discs are coming out perfect now. Just wanted to ask because I kind of like dvdfab platinum and would use it if not for the problems with the output. Thanks again…

jayjay22,

AnyDVD ripper (That’s what we call it in the other forum) works really well actually. Just make sure to check “Remove unreferenced and blank cells” when you use AnyDVD as a ripper. Since you already own it, why don’t you use it? :wink:

Hey, if AnyDVD gives you the results you need, more power to ya.

If it doesn’t, trying another app may be worth the effort. But that’s up to you.