Problem: LH-20A1L stops reading during installations

vbimport

Hi,

Last night I put together a new system and I have a problem with my Lite On LH-20A1L drive.

When installing programs, the drive stops periodically during the installation for several minutes (5-10) and then starts up again. During this time I cannot access the disc via My Computer and attempting to do so causes Explorer to crash.

This has occurred during every installation so far, Office 2007, World of Warcraft, and Unreal Tournament 2007 (which I could NOT install on account of this happening too frequently, after a half-hour it was at 8% complete.) I do not know if this occurred during the initial installation of Windows Vista as I was not in the room at the time, but I suspect it may have since the install took over an hour to complete. This occurs with both CD and DVD media.

Windows recognizes the drive and I have the latest Firmware installed. This is my first experience using SATA drives.

Here are some specs on my system:

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

BioStar TF560 A2 Motherboard
nForce 560
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+
4.00GB DDR2 RAM
eVGA GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB
WD 250GB SATA HDD
Lite On LH-20A1L SATA CD/DVD writer
Antec TruePower Trio 650W PSU

Anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this? I don’t know if the problem is with my drive, my motherboard, Windows, or whatever, but its very frustrating.

Thanks

You and I are in the same boat. The wife picked up Sims3 today and I wanted to install it just to check it out.
And lo and behold, It won’t get very far. Vista32 just hangs there. The activity light is pegged and it doesn’t seem to read anything. If I attempt to cancel the installer, it crashes and takes down EXPLORER.EXE with it. :frowning:

I’ve had some DVD issues before, all to do with reading discs. I’ve never had a problem burning anything, but I don’t burn a lot of discs.

I came here to do some research into my problem and happened upon to threads, one of which is the one I’m posting in.
The other is this: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/lite-lh-20a1l-woes-247508/

Similar issues, same chipset as you and I (I think his mention of nForce 570 is a typo). My board is an ASUS M2N-VM DVI with nForce 560 chipset.
Latest BIOS.
Latest drivers.
Updated the firmware on the LH-20A1L
Tinkered with some BIOS settings…
Nothing works. Only until I did some reading here, and got the answer from [B]bevills1[/B] in the thread linked above:

[QUOTE=bevills1;2083918]Unfortunately many chipsets don’t work properly with optical drives. The Silicon Image 3112/3512/3114 chipset does work properly for optical drives, and you could get an adapter card with Silicon Image 3112/3512/3114 chipset or exchange this LiteOn for PATA model if you have IDE onboard.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bevills1;2084005]Oops, I left out SATA in first sentence of reply. I meant to say “Unfortunately many chipsets don’t work properly with [B]SATA[/B] optical drives” which is why PATA would be best choice for non Silicon image chipsets.[/QUOTE]

So now I’m in a pickle…
Do I go get another motherboard or go get an IDE burner…

Decisions, decisions.

Either way…
A BIG FAT THANK YOU to the optical geeks here at CDFreaks!!!

At least I know what my problem is. Now I’m going to install Sims3 on my laptop.
At least it will give me something to do during downtime at work! :cool:

UPDATE:

I purchased a new LG drive with a PATA interface.
It’s humming along nicely.

Now I have a spare SATA DVDRW for when I build another system. Or maybe I’ll use it for work.

No matter…