Problem flashing firmware with tsdnwin for Samsung SH-S223L (SB02)

vbimport

I just installed my new Samsung SH-S223L (SB02) in my HTPC (Windows 7, 32-bit). I used the most excellent Patch Utility to create a custom firmware bin. When I load the custom bin into tsdnwin it says “Same Version Opened!!” Then I have to ctrl-alt-del to kill tsdnwin … and that’s as far as I can get.

I must be missing something simple, but I know just enough to be dangerous. I did spend a good deal of time scouring MyCE and Google but haven’t found anything helpful.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to get this drive flashed?

Use the -NOCHECK option.

Thank you, chef!!! Worked like a champ!

For any other semi-noobs (like me), put the tsdnwin.exe file in C:, got to Start>>Run, then type:

C: sdnwin.exe -nocheck

Though I then learned that my drive didn’t like the “no region” RPC1 setting, so I had to create another patched firmware without that option. Now all seems to be grand.

This is odd :confused:
Normally, TDSNWIN should not crash after the “same version” message. But it is good to know that the -nocheck parameter is a functional workaround in this case also :slight_smile:

Michael

My SH-S223L is stuck in BOOT. I have my drive hooked up via a SATA-PATA adapter. Could that be the problem? Is the ROM/BIN available anywhere? I used the only thing I could find on Samsung’s site, which was SH-S223L-SB02.exe, which I don’t imagine I can use to increase the DL read speed.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=ricdur2;2515066]My SH-S223L is stuck in BOOT. I have my drive hooked up via a SATA-PATA adapter. Could that be the problem?[/quote]Yes, using such an adapter can very often cause such issues.

Is the ROM/BIN available anywhere? I used the only thing I could find on Samsung’s site, which was SH-S223L-SB02.exe, which I don’t imagine I can use to increase the DL read speed.
You may please have a look into the FAQ (see my signature). :slight_smile:

Michael

Hmm, the only SATA connection I have available is on my Promise RAID controller. To gain visibility to a single SATA drive from Windows, I have to create a striped array with one (1) HDD (something I don’t need to bother with when using Linux). Can I expect problems flashing my SH-S223L if it’s attached to the Promise controller?

If I can expect problems, would I be better off getting a PCI SATA controller, or another drive altogether? I know the correct answer is a new rig, but that’s not in the picture for me right now.

Regards,
-richard

Hi,[QUOTE=ricdur2;2515434]Hmm, the only SATA connection I have available is on my Promise RAID controller. To gain visibility to a single SATA drive from Windows, I have to create a striped array with one (1) HDD (something I don’t need to bother with when using Linux). Can I expect problems flashing my SH-S223L if it’s attached to the Promise controller?[/quote]If this controller is RAID only, then I’d expect problems also. Promise Non-RAID controllers do fine (my own SH-S203B is connected to a PDC20579 (SataII-150).

If I can expect problems, would I be better off getting a PCI SATA controller,
That’s what I would suggest. Most recommended are controller cards with Silicon Image chipset, preferably the non-Raid version (called SataLink) or at least flashable to non-Raid controller Bios.
See here: http://club.myce.com/f7/silicon-image-based-sata-ide-controllers-flashable-not-252721/

Michael