Problem Flashing DVR-109 v1.57 Firmware?

vbimport

Hello Folks,

I hope you can help a couple of Forum Members that are having a problem with flashing two Pioneer DVR-109s. The two DVR-109s are connected in on the Secondary IDE channel as Master D:/ Drive and Slave E:/ Drive.

I am not the actual Forum Member who is having the problem but was helping out a Fellow Forum Member rapallo to flash his two Pioneer DVR-109s to the newer version 1.57 firmware. I am in the USA the Forum Member rapallo is in New Zealand. I am making this posting on the behalf of Forum Member rapallo because he is computer Newbe and I have more experience with computers.

All the necessary files that were required for flashing the DVR-109s to the version 1.57 firmware were place in one folder. The same files were used for flashing both DVR-109s.

We were successful using DVRupdate to flash the Pioneer DVR-109 E:/ drive to v1.57 and the Pioneer Quite Utility v106 recognizes the Pioneer DVR-109 and we were able to set the DVR-109 E:/ drive to the Quite Mode.

We then attempted to flash the Pioneer DVR-109 D:/ drive using DVRupdate and it appeared that the Pioneer DVR-109 D:/ drive was flashed to the v1.57 firmware as both DVDInfo and Nero Info Tool recognized the Pioneer DVR-109 D:/ drive as having firmware v1.57.

The problem is that although both DVDInfo and Nero Info Tool recognized the recognizes DVR-109 D:/ drive as having firmware v1.57 but the Pioneer Quite Utility v106 fails to recognize the DVR-109 D:/ drive and will not allow setting the DVR-109 D:/ drive to the Performance Mode.

When the DVR-109 D:/ drive is flashed to v1.40 firmware the Quite Utility v106 recognizes the DVR-109 D:/ drive and allows setting the drive to the Performance Mode.

A couple of attempts were made to flash the DVR-109 D:/ drive to the v1.57 but when flashed to v1.57 the Pioneer Quite Utility v106 fails to recognize the DVR-109 D:/ drive and will not allow setting the DVR-109 D:/ drive to the Performance Mode.

We are hoping that one of the knowledgeable Pioneer DVD Burner Forum Members can help us out and figure out why when the DVR-109 D:/ drive is flashed to v1.57 the Pioneer Quite Utility v106 fails to recognize the DVR-109 D:/ drive.

I acknowledge the above posting is rather windy but I wanted to describe exactly what has transpired during our flashing attempts.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Normally you’ve to flash the XL firmware to an 109 drive to be able to use the Quietdrive Util.
There are maybe some exceptions, but that worked only for few people and could be by some kind of coincidence… :?:

Might be a master slave thing??? If you used the a09xl FW you have done all you can. Maybe the new quiet drive software can not work with two drives? I don’t use it at all because it slows the drive down IMHO.
He needs to check his read rate on both drives on a DVD. If they both read fast then he needs to be happy, happy, happy.

Yeah! Bondage all the way :bigsmile:

Seriously I think chief is right, he seem to be using the 109 firmware not the XL, so no wonder why the quietdrive app doesn’t recognise it!

Hello Folks,

I thank Forum Members for responding to my posting requesting assistance with my flashing problems.

When I started flashing the two Pioneer DVR-109s I visited the Speed Labs DVR-109 Conversion Tutorial page (http://www.speedlabs.org/index.php/topic,83.0.html) and downloaded all necessary required flashing files that they had listed there for flashing the two DVR-109s to the version 1.57 firmware. All the files were placed in one Folder. The same flashing files were used to flash both the DVR-109 D:/ drive and DVR-109 E:/ drive.

The DVR-109 E:/ drive flashed correctly and the Pioneer Quite Utility v106 recognizes the Pioneer DVR-109 E:/. Using exactly the same flashing files and procedure that were successful with the DVR-109 E:/ drive the DVR-109 D:/ drive was flashed but the Pioneer Quite Utility v106 fails to recognize the DVR-109 D:/ drive.

The IDE ribbon cable was disconnect from the DVR-109 E:/ drive and the DVR-109 D:/ drive was again flashed but the Pioneer Quite Utility v106 still fails to recognize the DVR-109 D:/ drive.

Why when using exactly the same flashing files and procedures the DVR-109 E:/ drive is recognized by the Pioneer Quite Utility v106 but fails to recognize the DVR-109 D:/ drive?

I have just have just noticed that the Speed Labs DVR-109 Conversion Tutorial page (http://www.speedlabs.org/index.php/topic,83.0.html) has recently changed the Firmware package for flashing the DVR-109 from DRV109_FW157EU to DVRA09_FW157EU.

I really don’t understand why overnight that they change the flashing firmware files. I suspect that originally they provide the incorrect firmware file and have corrected the error.

Perchance can a Forum Member comment on the information I have provided in this posting.

My intension is to attempt to use the updated firmware file provide at the Speed Labs DVR-109 Conversion Tutorial page (http://www.speedlabs.org/index.php/topic,83.0.html) and see if this corrects my flashing problems. Am I making a error in my attempt to use the newer DVRA09_FW157EU firmware files?

Best Regards,
bjkg

If it said 109 not A09, then it looks like they messed up - A09 is the retail (quietdrive support) , 109 is the bundle version.

Propvably an error that crept in when updating the description for 1.57

Hello Folks,

I wanted to inform you folks that we figured out what the problem was.

When using the DVRupdate flasher you have to enter the Kernel file and Normal file in the correct sequence. The Firmware Pack does not identify which is the Kernel file and which file is the Normal file. I finally opened the files with a HEX editor and was able to find out which file was the Kernel and which was the Normal file. Once we entered the Kernel and Normal files in the correct sequence we were able the flash booth of DVR-109s with out any problems and the Pioneer Quite Utility v106 recognizes booth of the DVR-109 drives.

Both Forum Member rapallo and I thank you for the assistance you provided us.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Both DVR-109’s and DVR-A09’s are identified as “PIONEER DVR-109”. DVRFlash in verbose mode will show the difference in the Firmware types of “GENERAL” or “PIO-ADV” respectively.

BTW: DVRFlash doesn’t care what order the firmware and kernel files are used as long as both are supplied when needed.

Normally it’s preset with the file open dialogue so you can only choose either the kernel or normal firmware in the correct section…