Problem Finalizing?

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-112D / DVR-1810. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi, I’m using DVDfab v4 with the above burner and suddenly seem to be having problems finalizing DL media, Memorex DVD+R DL, the same media I’ve been using for ages!

DVDfab rips and burns just as it did before, but when it comes to finalizing the disc it jumps around all over the place, telling me it’s 80% done, then dropping back to 60-ish%, then back up to 70-ish%, and then crawling up to 100% and finished.

The software even says the burn is completed successfully but the disc stays in the drive with the drive indicator light on, and can’t be ejected for a couple of minutes AFTER the software is shut down!

I can then play it back in the burner, but I have a 2nd drive, a reader only, that doesn’t register the disc, which seems to indicate that this is a problem with the finalizing… anyone have any ideas? :frowning:

Thanks!
Paul

[quote=Paul_F22;2188341][qanda][B]anyone have any ideas? [/B]:frowning:

Thanks!
Paul[/quote]
Yes I have an idea! Upgrade to the most recent release and try again. The version you are using is very much outdated.

Oops, I forgot to mention, I don’t have any problem with Single Layer media, also Memorex, just the DL! :confused:

[QUOTE=Paul_F22;2188341][qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-112D / DVR-1810. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi, I’m using DVDfab v4 with the above burner and suddenly seem to be having problems finalizing DL media, Memorex DVD+R DL, the same media I’ve been using for ages!

DVDfab rips and burns just as it did before, but when it comes to finalizing the disc it jumps around all over the place, telling me it’s 80% done, then dropping back to 60-ish%, then back up to 70-ish%, and then crawling up to 100% and finished.

The software even says the burn is completed successfully but the disc stays in the drive with the drive indicator light on, and can’t be ejected for a couple of minutes AFTER the software is shut down!

I can then play it back in the burner, but I have a 2nd drive, a reader only, that doesn’t register the disc, which seems to indicate that this is a problem with the finalizing… anyone have any ideas? :frowning:

Thanks!
Paul[/QUOTE]

If you read this forum, and look at the problems that others are having, and check out the provided answers, it’ll become apparent that, in drives otherwise performing normally, when people start experiencing write, finalization, and other such problems, the media used usually is the culprit.

Yes, you’ve been using Memorex for ‘ages’ (in geological terms, a VERY long time, in terms of your age, maybe not quite so long).

At best, Memorex is a problematic brand. Memorex don’t make the media themselves, it’s farmed out - my info indicates to a company called CMC Magnetics in Taiwan. Single layer discs seem to be less of a problem than dual layer discs. Thus, your quick introduction to :Z: media when you started using D/L discs.

Please check out www.digitalFAQ.com/media. Lab tests done for that site very closely parallel raw experience offered as help here.

The only media you should really be using for D/L burns is Verbatim.

I guess I’m saying, that despite your success with Memorex so far, your luck has run out (at least with dual layer), and it’s not a finalization problem, it’s a media one.

O’C

:slight_smile:

Thanks O’Canada, the tip about the media looks to have solved the problem, and also thanks for the link to digitalFAQ, there’s some GREAT information there!

I purchased some Verbatim DL media locally and it seems to have worked, although the Finalizing stage went as before, jumping around and the disc not ejecting for a couple of minutes after DVDFab shut down.

The disc then shows up in Windows Media Player as “Unknown DVD” but CAN be played.

Which brings me to a new problem; I installed a new burner, a Pioneer DVR-116D, replacing an old reader, something I’ve been meaning to do for a while, so I now have 2 burners in my PC.

Neither drive will now AutoPlay, even though the option is selected for each drive in the Preferences, asking me prompt the system when I insert a disc.

I really am at a loss as to what’s going on here… any thoughts on this one?!

Thanks!
Paul

[QUOTE=Paul_F22;2189614]I really am at a loss as to what’s going on here… any thoughts on this one?!

Thanks!
Paul[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear that you’re making headway.
O’Canada’s advice is spot on…:iagree:

A couple of things.
VSO’s track record (default burn engine) has been less than stellar lately.
If you continue to experience glitches despite changing to Verb +R DL, you may want to consider changing burn engines to Img.
It’s not quite as seamless for DL burns, it will prompt you for layer break selection, but the problems and glitches will probably be a thing of the past.

Should you choose Img, please make the following change:
[B]tools > settings > build > don’t prompt image details[/B]
This will make SL burns a 1-click process.

You can probably salvage your [I]failed finalization [/I]discs with the following steps. It looks complicated, but will only take seconds.

[B]DVDFab Finalize a disc [/B]

Right click on the [B]Fab Icon [/B]>
Left click [B]Properties[/B] >
Left click[B] Find Target [/B]>
Left click[B] PcSetup.exe [/B]>
Left click on the [B]+[/B] in front of [B]Patin-Couffin driver [/B]>
Now left click once to select your burner >
Right click on the selected burner >
Navigate to the bottom of the dropdown to [B]Finalize the media [/B]

Re: autoplay, the easiest method to enable/disable it is to use:

Tweak UI
from Microsoft PowerToys

While I don’t want to start a war about autoplay,
I prefer to [B]not [/B]have it enabled as I want to control access of some of the crap on commercial dvds, etc., to my pc.
JMO…:wink:

Thanks Maineman, the info on Finalizing/Unfreezing seems to have worked, as 4 of my precious coasters can now be seen and played by Windows Media Player.

The Autoplay is still out though, even after installing the Tweak UI. I understand what you mean about wanting control, which is why I had it set to JUST give me the options I’d set, and not to automatically play content etc.

What’s driving me mad though it that it just stopped functioning, one second it was working, the next it wasn’t!

Crap like this is usually a sign of other problems, so I’ll try to do a repair from either my Windows disc or my back-up drive, and it that doesn’t work I’ll just bite the bullet, nuke the drive and start again… damn, another evening I can’t get back! :sad:

Thanks once again!
Paul

try using these first you may need to do a restart to enable

file name 0 [zero] is off

file name 1 [one] is on

deleted, I was wrong :frowning:

There is a program on the MS downloads called AutoFix which will fix your problem with the auto play,

It is called AutoPlay Repair Wizzard

Ya got a linky link :bigsmile:

:iagree::iagree::iagree: http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=auto+fix Scrool down to Auto Play Repair Wizzard, Just for you my good friend :flower::flower::flower:

wasn’t for me :slight_smile: for the one in need :bigsmile:

Hey Guys… thanks for the follow-up, but I found and tried that Microsoft fix yesterday. According to those nice peeps at MS, ALL my hardware, the 2 burners and an external back-up drive, a WD My Book, are “defective,” because… erm, well, because their app couldn’t fix the problem! :eek: I guess it makes sense if you’re Microsoft!!! :frowning:

But funnily enough, the suggestion about having 2 burners in the system seems to be right; I turned OFF Autoplay on one of the units and the other one is now FINE… Autoplays a treat! :smiley:

Need to check the My Book, will do that later tonight, but really appreciate all the help.

Thanks again
Paul

Problems solved! Look like everything’s fine, for now at least. I did a clean un-install of DVDFab 4 following the instructions in the link above - thanks for posting! :cool: - installed DVDFab 5, and am now able to burn my original Memorex, as well as the new Verbatim, DL media without a hitch.

As for the Autoplay issue, that’s been taken care of, at least to my satisfaction, although it’s not 100% fixed. The two Pioneer burners will now Autoplay, and I have Autoplay on the external My Book turned off. If I activate Autoplay for the My Book, the next time I turn it on my machine hard-locks; apart from bringing up the Task Manager, the only thing I can do is hit the reset button to restart! :confused:

None of the tools posted above, or the regedit instructions on Microsoft, helped, but I’m not going to mess with it anymore as life’s too short. I’m guessing that at some point in the future I’ll need to do a complete re-install of the OS and then I’ll know if it’s a Window issue.

Thanks for all the help guys!!! :flower:
Paul

:clap::clap::clap: Hey Paul glad that you are up and running now my friend :D:D:D

Hey glad the guide worked for you :smiley:
always good to do a little house cleaning now and then :bigsmile: