Problem copying home movie DVD to Hard drive

I have made a finalised Dvd-RW disc fof old home moviews from VHS tape using a dvd recorder.

BUt when I try to copy the DVD to my PC’s C drive , with dvdfabplatinum , , I see the list of titles OK and can select full disc, or cusomise etc. but then get an immediate task error failure when I star the copy process.

I see this in the dvdfab log file:

error Log file can’t be saved on disk. Please select a different location - Current “”

is this what’s causing the error ?

what Am I doing wrong ? . The exact same program settings will copy commerical DVDs OK & my PC can read the DVD disc OK - I tried a DVD ripper on the same disc and was able to get .AVI file copies, but i want to clone my home made DVD - which is completely non-copy protected. I made it with a Panasonic DVD recorder/ VHS recorder using Panasonic media.

First, you can just copy the files with windows using drag and drop as they are not encrypted or anything special. I am not sure what your trouble is with DVDfab as I don’t use it, but Panasonic recorders use their own format depending on the type of disc you use. Possibly this is what is causing the trouble.

Welcome to the forum.

so you’re suggesting drag & drop from DVD-RW to PC then use a different burn program to create the clone. ? yes I could do that but I@m curious as to whether dvdfab should be able to do it for me, and curious about theat error message I found in the log. When I look at logs of earlier successful copies & burns I don’t see that “cannot create log file” error message. It may be something real simple like needing to set a tiltel field whcn we finalise the disc in the dvd recorder. will try again with another disc & make careful note of the DVDfab error codes.

OK - the disc has a video-ts folder with the usual files in it but no audio-ts folder.
dvdfab reports analysing started - finished sucessfully, copy process started, then
the on screen error in dvdfab is task 1 failed error 400(39 4 0 1 27 21).

the only log created is a crash burn log with no clues:
02/07/2007 19:27:36 info Current Drive selected : 0:3:0 - HL-DT-ST DVD±RW GSA-H31N B106 [E] (Ide)
02/07/2007 19:27:36 info Using Patin-Couffin driver Version 1.37, Internal revision 37 - Async. Access mode
02/07/2007 19:27:36 info User default language : 2057 (0x0809h) - English (United Kingdom)
02/07/2007 19:27:36 info System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
02/07/2007 19:27:36 info DLL Version 2.1.2.321
02/07/2007 19:27:36 info DLL C:\Program Files\DVDFab Platinum 3\vso_hwe.dll
02/07/2007 19:27:36 info Version 3, 1, 1, 2
02/07/2007 19:27:36 info ExeName : "C:\Program Files\DVDFab Platinum 3\DVDFabPlatinum.exe"
02/07/2007 19:27:36 info OS : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
02/07/2007 19:27:36 info ******************** Report session started ********************

I just got 2 DVDs in the mail from a friend and Fab user in Wales that he said were recorded off TV on his Panasonic and copied with DVDFab Platinum. They play fine on the PC but I have not tried to copy or read them with DVDFab. I’ll try that first chance and let you know how it turns out. Theone I got are not RWs but +Rs. I think there were some changes made recently in DVDFab to improve copying of RWs so make sure you have the latest version.

/EDIT/ I see from the log that you have an old version. Update and try it again.

Update: the discs I got from Wales copy perfectly. Windows reports them as DVD_VRs and each title shows up twice in DVDFab, so use Customize to make copies and select only one of each title. Try the update to v. 3.1.4.0.

thanks - IMy PC can play the Panasonic DVD-RW that we created with powerDVD, but here’s no root menu. I can return to title menu ( the DVD has only 1 title which is in 23 chapters ) but If I select root menu in POwerDVD I’m back at the splash screen & have to select the DVD again.

I 'm guessing that it’s the lack of a root menu that’s crashing DVDfab. I looked up the DVDfab error code on the sticky thread and error 400 is transcoder error ( which does not tell me much! )

we do have some DVD+R & DVD-R blanks but decided to start testing with RWs while we are learning the ropes, so as not to waste discs. we want to experiment with various quality & file size options bacasue we are going from VHS to DVD , then to PC & eventually to web

I don’t think the panasonic recorder can write to +R format discs though - I’ll have to recheck the manual.

THe panasonic can play all format types though: I’ve played both DVD+R single & double layer DVD copies on it, that I made with DVDfab on my PC & they played fine

encouraging - but you are seeing the +R copies that he burned for you with DVD fab platinum so we don’t know what format was used for the 1st generation TV recording. maybe he recorded to DVD-R on his panasonic wheras we are recording to DVD-RW, or maybe it’s because we are using the DUB feature to record from VHS rather than recording from on-air.
The TV recordings may be more standardised with proper titles wheras our old VHS tapes are a jumbled mess!

I’m using platinum 3.1.12 I think .That should be up to date enough fro home movies.- recent changes have mostly been for cracking commerical potections according to the release notes history

Not sure. I have used DVDFab to copy discs with no menus at all. My playback tests were with WinDVD v5. The transcoder error would happen during the copy process; problems with disc or menu structure would normally be caught before that, during the analysis phase. Have you updated DVDFab?

/EDIT/ Look for the release notes on file parsing. /I think he uses RWs. That’s what he uses to send local TV shows to his son here in the states.

OK
The DVDfab crash is immediatley at the start of the copy process. It has created the Hard drive folder that it is planning to write to but that’s all.

Is the lack of an audio-ts folder on the DVD an issue ? evey commercial disc I’ve chccked has one of those but this home movie DVD does not ?

Hmmm - checked the 3.1.4.0 release notes more carefully & spotted this:
Fix: Error 400(39…) when copying DVD in certain cases. well that’s my error so I’d better try a program update. will report back.

the update to 3.1.4.0 fixes the problem!

Great news and glad it works.:slight_smile: Thought that would take care of it.