Problem Copying From 5045 HDD !?!?

vbimport

I don’t know if anyone else had or has this problem or not. ( not sure if it’s really a problem, but more of an annoyance)

I got a burned DVD from someone of a movie. I used the liteon (not a standalone DVD player) and recorded to the HDD of the liteon with no problem. I can watch it from the HDD but when I try to copy the movie from the HDD to DVD I get a message that says:
“This operation is not valid for the current status”

I received a few movies actually from this person and only two of them show this message and I can’t copy them from HDD. I made copies of the others but two won’t copy. If they were copy protected I thought they wouldn’t record to the HDD, but since they are on it, I can’t copy them from it to DVD.

I copied them onto HDD before I upgraded FW and also I copied them again onto HDD after I upgraded FW (with hack) and still can’t copy 2 of them onto DVD, but the others do.

I have figured out what it is. The movies were more than 2 hrs, so thats why they wouldn’t copy back to DVD

kurb - I have a 5005 and not familiar with the 5045 - Couldn’t you copy it to a DVD in the 3 or 4 hour? Or does it only “copy” to dvd as is?

jm1647, it copies the dvd as it is. You can’t set the recording mode.
Click on copy and it copies it.

I just have to use my standalone DVD player and record it to the 5045 in 3 hr. I was hoping to get it exactly, the menus etc.
I have the 5005 and 5045.

Oh well, it’s not to much of a big deal, it’s just I wanted to use the copies and save the originals, that were made for me.

Why not use dvd decrypter and/or dvd shrink to back up the original and retain the menus on your PC?

Kurb:

Not all that familiar with the 5045. Does it have a way to “span” the movie to more than one DVD? If you also have the 5005 can’t you “play” the movie from the hard drive but “record” it into the 5005? At least this way you could set the recording mode on the 5005 to 3 or 4 hours.

I would do that but I don’t have a DVD burner on my pc. Only CD player/burner and DVD player

Theres no way to put it on 2 DVD’s. What I can do is record the original from my standalone player and copy it that way

@kurb - ok no dvd burner on PC. How about hooking the 5045 HD up to the pc, then use Menu Shrink to retain the menus and shrink em, and then dvd shrink and or vobblanker to edit out the extras so it’ll fit on a DVD5. Open up the 5045 and disconnect the HD and hook it up to the PC IDE cable and power plug, or ya can remove the HD and hook it up. Ya might have to change the master/slave jumper or set it to cable select but that should do it. I have hooked up my 5005 ddw-451s drive to my PC and used PC based utilities on it (Ltnfw and omnipatcher to name a couple)

@kurb - ok no dvd burner on PC. How about hooking the 5045 burner up to your pc, copy the files to your pc, then use Menu Shrink to retain the menus and shrink em, and then dvd shrink and or vobblanker to edit out the extras so it’ll fit on a DVD5. DVD decrypter will rip/burn the dvd and it’s a free download. Open up the 5045 and disconnect the burner and hook it up to the PC IDE cable and power plug. I did it this way cause I couldn’t figure out how to get the faceplate off the ddw-451s. Ya might have to change the master/slave jumper or set it to cable select but that should do it. I have hooked up my 5005 ddw-451s drive to my PC and used PC based utilities on it (Ltnfw and omnipatcher to name a couple)

Edit - dang it, I was gonna edit the post below but it didn’t show up so I posted this one, Now it’s showing :confused:

That might be the easiest and fastest way to get the results you desire since you now know about the 2 hour limitation stated in your second post.

Just curious though, how does the 5045 handle getting a 3 or 4 hour TV show from the hard drive to the DVD? Isn’t this essentially the same issue you have? The only difference I see is the “source” of the video data being recorded on the hard drive. What am I missing here?

jm1647, I only have a laptop so I’m not sure how to go about doing that.
Wish I had a desktop pc with tower.

unwired, when you record from tv you set the recording quality, same as 5005 etc., to 3hr or whatever, but with this there’s also the HDD. Then when you copy to DVD from HDD it will be copied in 3 hr mode (quality), because thats what it was originally recorded in. So it will fit on DVD

If you copy a DVD direct to HDD there is nothing you can do except click on copy and it copies as I stated above. Same applies to copying from HDD to DVD.

kurb,
You said the movies were more than two hours, but which mode were they recorded into your HDD? Are they on HQ or SP mode?
H2B

Heart2Brazil,
I don’t know what quality they were recorded, since someone else copied them on thier pc. But they would have been copied at the best quality for the length of the movie, because the quality is perfect, choice, as good or even better than a commercial DVD

kurb - check out this usb to ide adapter $35 US
http://www.dansdata.com/rdriver.htm
http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0190

jm1647,
thanks for the links.

I’m going to look into that. Looks very interesting

here’s is another for $18 for just 5.25 inch drives or 2.5 and 3.5 drives- http://www.byterunner.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=byterunner&new_frontpage=usbtoide

theres a bunch - do a google for usb to ide

kurb,

I think that’s why you could not copy them to disk. Considering that each movie is at least on SP mode and since each disk holds only 1 hr on HQ or 2 hrs on SP mode the 5045 does not allow you to transfer the movies even to a totally blank disk.

This is something that bothers me on the 5045. The first time I used this recorder I saved on my HDD a 1hr30m movie on HQ mode planning to copy it to disk later on SP. I coudn’t do it and had to record it again when it was aired on another day. I would like to have control on the quality of the recording on all times.

However, even with this small complain I am still very happy with this machine.

Good luck with the hookups the boys are teaching us,

H2B

kurb (and other Liteon Owners):

I also have the 5005 and 5045 models with a Plextor USB on the computer. FYI==my 5045 harddrive function has totally failed (wont write, read or otherwise allow access) after two months of continuous use.===>Back to Costco.

I will need to buy another 5045 somewhere as Costco does not carry them just now. I have not found a “stable” blank media for the 5005. Quite often it will record a disk (TY and TDK for two brands) as long as I keep it in the machine. Take it out or try to timer record and the disk becomes unreadable. Solution::: slap the dvd into the 5045 and it also fails to read the disk BUT if I power cycle the 5045 it will then read and record more material and finalize those disks quite reliably==so, I need both machines in order to have a working “system.”

What media have you found that works with the 5005? I also have gone thru about 5 different rewriteable DVD and cannot find a single brand that will work more than 3 rewrites. I would love a stable DVD/RW that would work in both machines. What do you use?

Are you aware of any freestanding software for the computer that will read a non finalized disk from the Liteon’s? That functionality would save alot of wear and tear on the Liteons.

Thanks for any info you and others can share.///bobbo.