Problem converting vps files to mpeg

Re: problem converting vps files to mpeg

I have a dvd with a tv programme of my daughter singing on it. I want to upload various clips onto her youtube site.

When I explore the dvd there are two folders: AUDIO_TS (which is empty) and VIDEO_TS which has various files in it. The file which plays the recorded video when I clidk on it on it is called VTS_01_1 AND IS 1,048,574KB in size.

I can play this file on windows media player

Now what I want to do is convert this file to MPEG and split it into various clips which I can upload onto Youtube. I downloaded a free trial of AVS, but when I click to convert the file to MPEG I get the message saying " Can not create file. Probably your output file has a read-only attribute, or it is occupied with another application, or you used an invalid name for your file, etc" . I have seen posts on the internet saying that a VOB file can just be changed to mpeg by changing the end of the file extension. The Problem that I have is that whilst these are shown as VOB (greyed out below the file name) Files, the file name is VTS_01_1 so I can’t just change it to mpg as when I clidk on rename, the vob bit doesnt come up.

I am not very technical I am afraid, and if it sounds like i am it is because I have spend 5 hours on this one issue trying to sort it out via internet searches.

Thanks so much if anyone can give me basic instructins on what to do. Charlotte.

You can open the dvd directly in DVDShrink and cut out the sections you want with it. DVDShrink is free to download and use. http://www.cdfreaks.com/software/Copy-DVD-Movie-Software/DVDshrink/DVDShrink.html

Put the dvd in the drive, open DVDShrink and let it open and analyze the disk. Now hit ReAuthor. On the right side of the window, you’ll see Menus and Main Movie. Under Main movie, you’ll see a list of titles in this dvd. Yours should only have one, so left click on the title and drag it to the left side of the window.

Now you are ready to look for the sections of the dvd you want. Click on the Start/End Frame tool. I have included a picture showing where this is in DVDShrink. You can set the beginning and end frames and Shrink will output a small dvd video for you. Once you have the clip selected, hit OK, Hit Backup and make sure you are outputting as files to a Hard Disk Folder, then hit ok again.

Now, on to renaming the .vob file. Since Shrink outputs as dvd-video you are still in the same place as before on renaming, so we have to change a setting in Windows. Go to Control Panel–>Folder Options–>View. Now unclick the box that says Hide Extensions for Known Filetypes. Click Apply, then OK. Once you do this, you should be able to rename the .vob file in your little clip to .mpeg.

Thankyou. It WAS all going brilliantly. I did just as you said and using dvd shrink clipped the bit I wanted, saved to the hard drive and the quality was amazing. BUT when I then went to control panel and unchecked the box, as you said, it enabled me to change the file name. I renamed the last bit of the file to mpeg AND THAT is where it went wrong. There is no sound on the clip now. Of course I have the orignial copy, so no permanent damage, but, I still can’t load it onto youtube as it’s not in the right format.

Feel alot closer though and that took me 5 mins doing what you said. I have been on the computer on my own for 6HOURS today and got nowhere. If Anywone else can let me know where to go from having done all the above and got to a VOB file I want to convert to mpeg, please let me know. Thanks.

Ok, try this. Clip the section you want. Have DVDShrink output as a file, just as you did before. Only this time, instead of renaming the .vob file I want you to try this tool: Vob2mpg.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG

Load the .vob file from your clip into it and let it change the name of the file for you.

You might also want to test the clip before changing the name…just to make sure the process from Shrink is working correctly. Play it in whatever program you normally watch dvds with your computer. If you don’t have such a program, VLC is free to download and use. www.videolan.org

I tested the file that dvd shrink created, playing it back in windows media player and the video and sound qualilty was excellent.

I thenk downloaded the file you said, which said it required .net framework to work, so I downloaded microsoft.net framework 3.5, which took ages.

I then went to the badger VOB 2MPG programme, which opened fine. I then had to browse for the folder containing the VOB sets, so I navigated to where on the hard drive it had been saved. I then get a folder with a file name and two sub folders below (which is the way the file has always presented itself), but when I try to click on the VIDEO_TS folder which has the target vob file inside, nothing happens. I know its there, as when not using this programme, I can get into it and play it.

I have also tried simply converting the vob file using AVS trial version (with watermark) but that still doesn’t work either (same message as in my first posting. Anyone out there??

Sorry. I should also say that I tried copying the target VOB file on its own to the desktop, but when I do that, it’s not playable, so it must need other stuff which is in the subfolder.

I’m not sure what is going on. Just to confirm my steps, I’ve gone through the whole process of making a clip and opening the Video_TS folder with Vob2Mpg and it worked fine. The resulting .mpg file worked.

Renaming the VTS_01_1.vob to VTS_01_1.mpg should also have worked.

Well. I’ve just seen you’re message and thought you might have gone to bed by now.
I finally managed to convert a 3 minute clip I had made via your amazing dvd shrink on a trial version of AVS converter. It took 1 HOUR and 20 minutes to convert, as AVS took over my whole cpu (I saw the process doing it in task manager.)

As it is a trial version, it is useless as it has the watermark. But it shows that it can be done, but I am not about to buy this piece of software as my whole computer ground to a halt.

I think the problem I am having with VOB2MPG is that it can’t “see” the file. With AVG, you navigate to the folder yourself, right click and then click on convert

With VOB2mpg you have to use its internal browser to navigate, and when I do this it only gets as far as the Video_TS folder and then you can’t click on it to go into the VOB file. I can right click on it and explore and see the files in there, but can’t get to them with VOB2mpg.

Thanks to you, I can now make a great quality clip with the dvd shrink. And I have now shown it can be done using AVS, but with the time and cpu thats not a solution as I have hundreds of these things to do.

Can you or anyone else think of a reason why VOB2mpg won’t let me navigate to the VOB file?

Thanks so much, Charlotte.

I know what you said about the renaming it to mpeg. what can i say, it converted fine but with no sound.

You don’t need to go to the .vob file with Vob2Mpg. Just load the Video_TS folder.

Hi Kerry

Thanks so much for your help. I understand that you have already spent too much of your time, so maybe someone else will be able to help me resolve this. I have done as you suggested and taken the whole file to VOB2MPEG but I still get no sound (picutre but no sound), just the same as when I changed the .vob to .mpg manually.

As you say, you have managed it no problem with your computer. I just still don’t get it as AVI (despite it taking 1 hour for a 3 min clip with a watermark) managed it with sound.

Altho I should say that AVI did that without taking the whole Video_TS folder, , just the VOB file. But seeing as I can’t get to the VOB file with VoB2Mpeg I can’t do this. Is there another reliable converter which is free for me to try. Maybe this would resolve the issue.

All right, I don’t understand what is going wrong here, but I have one more arrow in the quiver to fire at this problem before trying to convert to avi.

Download TMPGenc (free version) http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/download.html Once installed, click on File–>Mpeg tools–>Simple De-Multiplex. Browse to your Video_TS folder of your clip you’ve made, click on the File type list and change from Mpeg streams to All files. Now all the files in the Video_TS folder will appear. Use the .vob file clip as input. Click Run to start the process.

This will separate the video and audio streams from one another. You should get a .m2v file and an audio file. Test both separately in VLC media player. Each should play (the .m2v file will not have sound, the audio file will not have video)

Now, open TMPGenc again, go to Mpeg tools and click on Simple Multiplex. Use these two files you’ve made as input and it will create a complete mpeg file for you.

This is a convoluted, and completely unnatural process for doing this and shouldn’t be necessary. But it might work.

If you just want to try to convert the clip to avi, look at AutoGK. It will make an avi using xvid codec for you. http://www.autogk.me.uk/

@Kerry56;I don’t mean to step in on your good help but do you think Super might do this conversion ?
If you don’t think it will just put the nix on it.
If charlotte1 does try Super the DL is a bit hard to get to on the site.
I guess I need to DL the TMPGenc trial version sometime & play with it.

Super can convert the .vob in her clip to avi all right Cholla. AutoGK is also free and pretty simple to use, so it would be my first choice for this process.

But nothing I know of explains why the .vob file plays correctly, but once you rename it to mpeg the audio quits. Audio standards for .vob files are fairly stringent, and if it works there it can only be in certain formats at 48khz frequency.

I think the reason someone who is new at doing this sometimes fails to be able to do something someone that has been doing this for a while has sucess with is :
We have several softwares & probably some various codecs in our OS.Since sometimes this causes conflicts I beleive it can also go the other way & interact & help.Especially if the conflicts have been worked out.
I think the 48khz frequency might be the problem.Maybe she needs to check the renamed .vob with this:
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

I had a thread going about this, with great support from Kerry and latterly Cholla.

For some reason the thread can’t be accessed via this site now and has “database error” when you click on it, so all the posts so far can’t be read.

In short I am now at the following point in my quest to edit a DVD VOB file and load it into youtube in decent quality.

I have reached the point where I shrunk the DVD VOB files using DVD shrink and then cut clips from it, and then changed the file name to mpeg.

On my computer the quality looked fine. However, once I loaded the files onto YouTube the quality was terrible. I wondered if this is because I used dvd shrink in the first place and if this had deteriorated the quality, and YouTube had further compressed it as it uploaded (I am not tekki so this is a wild guess).

So, I thought, well what I’ll do is NOT use the DVDshrink programme, maintain the file quality turn the file from VOB to mpeg and then import it into windows movie maker, edit it there into clips and upload the clips from there. In the past I have uploaded vids from my small Sony camera having edited them in movie maker and the quality on youtube was fantastic.

It is important for me to get the quality of this video right, as these TV clips will probably be getting tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of views, comments and ratings over the next 12 months, and you can’t replace a video once its uploaded onto YouTube without losing all the views comments and ratings. She is hoping to get a record contract and therefore her showcase needs to be good. So whilst I am desperate to upload it, it has to be right before I do.

When I tried to import the file directly into movie maker I got

C:\Documents and Settings\grace the superstar\Desktop\New Folder\VTS_01_1.mpeg could not be imported. An interface has too many methods to fire events from

So that isn’t working. I’ve also discovered that you can load .vob files shrunk by DVD shrink onto YouTube without changing the file name. , but the quality remains rubbish once uploaded.

So that’s where I’m at. Much further on thanks to help received so far, but due to poor video quality, still unable to upload the vid. The Klite seemed to be the missing element in terms playing the mpeg with picture sound. So it must have been the codec. (I am using vocabulary I didn’t have until yesterday)All I know is it works

So if anyone else can think of a way for me to not lose the quality as with DVD shrink and import the .vob file (or .mpg as I can change the end) to windows movie maker so that I can cut it into clips and load it up in high quality to YouTube, please let me know.

Windows movie maker is in any case my preferred option as there are proper editing tools available, whereas in DVD shrink you can just make clips. In any case, as I have said, DVD shrink ends up very pixelated once uploaded to Youtube.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Charlotte.

Ok. this link wasn’t working so I had to post the reply I did separately, but now its working I’ll post it again so everything is in once place: Having had great help from Cholla and Kerry,

In short I am now at the following point in my quest to edit a DVD VOB file and load it into youtube in decent quality.

I shrunk the DVD VOB files using DVD shrink and then cut clips from it, and then changed the file name to mpeg. All issues I had with sound were resolved after I installed K-lite Codec pack

On my computer the quality looked fine. However, once I loaded the files onto YouTube the quality was terrible. I wondered if this is because I used dvd shrink in the first place and if this had deteriorated the quality, and YouTube had further compressed it as it uploaded (I am not tekki so this is a wild guess).

So, I thought, well what I’ll do is NOT use the DVDshrink programme, maintain the file quality turn the file from VOB to mpeg and then import it into windows movie maker, edit it there into clips and upload the clips from there. In the past I have uploaded vids from my small Sony camera having edited them in movie maker and the quality on youtube was fantastic.

It is important for me to get the quality of this video right, as these TV clips will probably be getting tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of views, comments and ratings over the next 12 months, and you can’t replace a video once its uploaded onto YouTube without losing all the views comments and ratings. She is hoping to get a record contract and therefore her showcase needs to be good. So whilst I am desperate to upload it, it has to be right before I do.

When I tried to import the file directly into movie maker I got

C:\Documents and Settings\grace the superstar\Desktop\New Folder\VTS_01_1.mpeg could not be imported. An interface has too many methods to fire events from

So that isn’t working. I’ve also discovered that you can load .vob files shrunk by DVD shrink onto YouTube without changing the file name. , but the quality remains rubbish once uploaded.

So that’s where I’m at. Much further on thanks to help received so far, but due to poor video quality, still unable to upload the vid. The Klite seemed to be the missing element in terms playing the mpeg with picture sound. So it must have been the codec. (I am using vocabulary I didn’t have until yesterday)All I know is it works

So if anyone else can think of a way for me to not lose the quality as with DVD shrink and import the .vob file (or .mpg as I can change the end) to windows movie maker so that I can cut it into clips and load it up in high quality to YouTube, please let me know.

Windows movie maker is in any case my preferred option as there are proper editing tools available, whereas in DVD shrink you can just make clips. In any case, as I have said, DVD shrink ends up very pixelated once uploaded to Youtube.

Thanks in advance for any help.

charlotte1 ;I’ve never uploaded anything to YouTube so I can’t say how to do that.
A .vob like you put in DVDShrink shouldn’t have been compressed since it was only 1GB.Unless you set it to compress.Just the clipping would not have compressed the file.
1.So lets start with did you compress the original .vob ?
2.What is the size of the .vob after shrink ?
3.What is the maximium size file allowed on YouTube ?
The .flv files I have DLed from YouTube are all under 10MB.
I think the problem is probably in the compression YouTube did combined with the file clip size…
What you probably need to do is find out the maximum YouTube allowed size & their prefered file format.Then see if you can already have the file matched as close as possible to those specs to start with.
So do some research with YouTube & we will try to get you a file converted to what you need.

H there. I have copied the reccommended settings and specification from youtubes help page on uploading videos below:

[B]Getting Started: Video length and size[/B]
“There are two ways to upload your video: by using our Single File Uploader or the YouTube Uploader (for multiple files). With either of these methods, your videos can be up to 1GB in size and 10 minutes long.
Please note, the longer and/or higher quality your video is, the more compression will be required to fit it into 1GB. You can compress your video using movie editors, like Windows MovieMaker or Apple iMovie.
YouTube accepts a wide range of video file formats. This list is all the video files YouTube will accept. Some video formats work best and are most compatible with certain computers, software or devices.
• Windows Media Video(.avi)
• .3GP (cell phones)
• .AVI (windows)
• .MOV (mac)
• .MP4 (ipod/psp)
• .MPEG
• .FLV (adobe flash)
• .SWF (shockwave flash)
• .MKV (h.264)
If you do not think your current video file format is recognized by YouTube, you may get the best results from converting your file to MPEG4 video with MP3 audio. If your format is recognized, but you are experiencing other issues with format errors, feel free to contact us, and we will try our best to fix it.
To convert most any video format to one of the aforementioned accepted formats it is reccommended you use FFMPEG. FFMPEG is a command-line tool, so newer users may like to use the free tool, SUPER, which can be found at http://www.erightsoft.org/. If you do not produce acceptable results with these tools, you may also try the commercial software, Magic Video Converter [ http://www.magic-video-software.com/magic_video_converter/index.html ].
Windows Movie Maker, by default saves projects as .MSWMM files. These file are project files, which means it only tells Windows Movie Maker the layout of your video and does not contain the final video itself, and because of this, YouTube does not accept .MSWMM files. To upload your Windows Movie Maker video to YouTube, select the “Save to My Computer” option to save the file and upload the generated file.
Keep in mind that each time you convert or “transcode” a video from one type of compression to another, there will be some loss in quality, sort of like making a photo copy of a photo copy. Avoid transcoding a highly compressed video into a format that is accepted. You’ll get poor results. You’ll get better results by going back to your original video editing software where you edited the video, and re-export in a format like MPEG4 with MP3 audio, or if that is unavailable, exporting it as a RAW (uncompressed) video format then encoding it in an external program such as those listed above.
[I]YouTube Video Formats

One great thing about sites like YouTube is their ability to accept many different file formats, making it much easier for home users to participate. You can try uploading almost any format — there’s a good chance that it will work. YouTube simply converts it to the FLV format.

However, it does help to understand a few basics and create videos in a format which will work best for your content.

MPEG (MPG)
YouTube recommends MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) with MP3 audio. This option probably provides the best compromise between quality and file size. Other versions of MPEG are also acceptable.

AVI
This is the default format used by many editing programs. It provides excellent picture quality but file sizes are large. This can be a good option for short videos.

MOV, WMV & Others
These are perfectly acceptable, but may not provide the same quality or small file sizes as MPEG4.
Compression

In most cases you will need to compress your video before you upload it (this may be done automatically by your webcam or editing software). The best approach is to compress files the least amount possible. YouTube will re-compress the file when it is converted to FLV, so you don’t need to worry about the file size. If you have a fast connection and plenty of bandwidth, it makes sense to create video files with the least compression while still keeping to the 100MB size limit.
Video Size (Resolution, Pixel Dimensions)

YouTube recommends a resolution of 320x240. Note that this is smaller than the standard YouTube video screen — videos this size are automatically expanded to fill the screen. A quick test indicates that the screen used for the main YouTube player is 450x338 pixels (do not take this as an official specification though).

On the whole, 320x240 is a fairly good compromise which suits the different player sizes well enough. Remember that the video will not always be seen on the large version of the player, and some versions of the player are actually smaller than 320x240.

[B][U]So now its me talking again[/U][/B]
I did nothing to the original VOB in terms of compression. There are two VOBs on the DVD, which make up the full half hour tv programme. Their file sizes are: 1048344kb and 935050kb

I looked at the shrunk videos afterwards and you are right, they are exactly the same size. And also look fine when I play them on the computer.

The other problem that I haven’t even mentioned yet is that although the dvd plays a 30 minute programme and it is only one “title” when I put it onto DVD shrink, when I open the backup dvd shrink has done, in the Video_TS file, there are a number of files, and the video is split between two of them (as mentioned in the top paragraphso I guess for it to be put as a 30 minute video into an editing suite that I can edit away, the whole of the Video TS file needs to be loaded (unless I clip it with the unsplit song whilst in DVD Shrink).

So, from what I can summarise from above, the best format to upload to youtube is MPEG 4, with MP3 audio with the video being no longer than 10 minutes and no bigger than 100 MB size limit. The official recommended resolution is 320x240 screen. A quick test indicates that the screen used for the main YouTube player is 450x338 pixels so I don’t know if this is better for full screen viewings, but probably safest as 320 x 240 screen???

The videos I have previously uploaded (in seconds) either came direct from my camera in mpg, or via my camera, edited in movie maker, and then uploaded via movie maker as a wmv file. I don’t know what mpg they were (2 or 4) as it isn’t shown on the upload, but the quality is fine. Infact, on most of them, there is even the option to watch them in High Quality on Youtube. Here is her channel page if you want to have a look, although these are all home movies, whereas what I want to start uploading is tv shows which will get her far more exposure. http://www.youtube.com/user/gracerose2

I have seen the youtube clips of some of the kids who won last year and had the same tv coverage she is going to get, and some of them have 500,000 views. I would love to just get the 30 minute full vid into movie maker and make all my own clips. I could then edit, cutting out bits of the show she isn’t in. But will have to settle for straight clips if that’s all that can be done.

Look forward to hearing from you. Can’t believe anyone would help me so much as you guys.