Problem Converting SVCD to DVD-R

Hey guy’s,

Well this is my first post on this type of forum and i’m hoping you can help to resolve this age old problem many have experienced in the past.

I’m trying to convert my SVCD’s to DVD-r but am having problems following the procedure i have tried below. Basically the end result is that although the picture and sound come out the image is shifted about a quarter to the right of the screen.

From what i’ve seen on other posts by Chickenman it looks like i have to re-encode the SVCD mpegs to proper DVD files.

Question : HOW DO I DO THIS?

The procedure i tried initially is as follows :

STEP 1
stripping the streams (splitting the audio from the video) for this u will need TMPGenc.

start her up. Click.
File/MPEG TOOLS.
simple de-multiplex is the tab u want.
click input browse.
show it the first mpeg…mpeg 1?
it will output the streams into the same folder.
repeat this for all your mpegs…once all are done you can delete the original mpeg if u want…make sure u delete the right one!!!
Close TMPGenc.

STEP 2
changing (S)VCD to DVD.
for this step u will need IFOedit.

open her up…click DVD author.
load the first mpeg streams in…video in the video box…audio into the audio box (the audio stream may not be visible when u click the audio browse button, just select show “all files” in the second drop down box on the file browse box “Files of type:”)
show IFOedit the same folder the respective mpegs in to keep things together and neat.
u just need these 2 streams loaded…don’t worry about the other boxes. (Unless u want chapters…see ammendment)
click ok and dvd authoring will start…when finished close ifo edit and reopen and repeat this step for all your mpegs.
when you have done all your mpegs close IFOedit and move onto next step.

STEP 3
Joining the VOBs together.
For this step you will need VOBedit.
right so what we have now essentially is 2 or 3 films each containing only 1 VOB probably only 800mb each (normal VOBs are usually about 1gb)
we need to join them to create 1 film out of those 2-3 VOBS.
First we need to rename the VOBS because they are all named…probably…VTS_01_1
we need to rename the respective VOBS to VTS_01_001, VTS_01_002, VTS_01_003 etc…
Then place them all in the same folder. Create a new one if u want. When u have renamed all the VOBs and placed them in the one folder…create a new folder called VIDEO_TS somewhere for later…then… open VOBedit…
click open and show it the first VOB…VTS_01_001
then click Edit-Join clips…
a file dialog box will pop up asking where u want to ouput the joined VOBs…show it the VIDEO_TS folder u created earlier.
then another box should pop up aking u to choose a VOB id for the first VOB just choose 1 and Ok it.
now joing will comence…when its finished close VOBedit and move onto next step…

STEP 4
creating new IFO files for the VOBs.
Start IfoEdit, and press the button ‘Create IFOs’:
Show it the first VOB file…
Now you will be prompted for a destination directory for the output IFO files. just show it the same folder (VIDEO_TS)
OK it and let it do its business…
when its finished close IFOedit and re-open it…show it your newly created IFOs in the VIDEO_TS directory…highlight the VIDEO_TS IFOfile…press “Get VTS Sectors” Button and keep OKing until its processed all it needs to…(maybe some…maybe none)
Close IFO edit.

STEP 6
Burn the DVDR.

If anyone know’s how to reencode the SVCD’s to true DVD compliance or a guide detailing how and which software to use, i would be utterly grateful.

Peace … Dawg

Hello dawgster!
You should try tmpgenc dvd author, it is an easy to use program, which allows you in only 4 steps to make a dvd compliant file, you can burn that image on your dvd-writer:-)
Look for it on google, and you will easily find it!
Good luck
Hibbedk:-)

Originally posted by dawgster
[B]Hey guy’s,

Well this is my first post on this type of forum and i’m hoping you can help to resolve this age old problem many have experienced in the past.

I’m trying to convert my SVCD’s to DVD-r but am having problems following the procedure i have tried below. Basically the end result is that although the picture and sound come out the image is shifted about a quarter to the right of the screen.

From what i’ve seen on other posts by Chickenman it looks like i have to re-encode the SVCD mpegs to proper DVD files.

The procedure i tried initially is as follows :

STEP 1
stripping the streams (splitting the audio from the video) for this u will need TMPGenc.

start her up. Click.
File/MPEG TOOLS.
simple de-multiplex is the tab u want.
click input browse.
show it the first mpeg…mpeg 1?
it will output the streams into the same folder.
repeat this for all your mpegs…once all are done you can delete the original mpeg if u want…make sure u delete the right one!!!
Close TMPGenc.

STEP 2
changing (S)VCD to DVD.
for this step u will need IFOedit.

open her up…click DVD author.
load the first mpeg streams in…video in the video box…audio into the audio box (the audio stream may not be visible when u click the audio browse button, just select show “all files” in the second drop down box on the file browse box “Files of type:”)
show IFOedit the same folder the respective mpegs in to keep things together and neat.
u just need these 2 streams loaded…don’t worry about the other boxes. (Unless u want chapters…see ammendment)
click ok and dvd authoring will start…when finished close ifo edit and reopen and repeat this step for all your mpegs.
when you have done all your mpegs close IFOedit and move onto next step.

STEP 3
Joining the VOBs together.
For this step you will need VOBedit.
right so what we have now essentially is 2 or 3 films each containing only 1 VOB probably only 800mb each (normal VOBs are usually about 1gb)
we need to join them to create 1 film out of those 2-3 VOBS.
First we need to rename the VOBS because they are all named…probably…VTS_01_1
we need to rename the respective VOBS to VTS_01_001, VTS_01_002, VTS_01_003 etc…
Then place them all in the same folder. Create a new one if u want. When u have renamed all the VOBs and placed them in the one folder…create a new folder called VIDEO_TS somewhere for later…then… open VOBedit…
click open and show it the first VOB…VTS_01_001
then click Edit-Join clips…
a file dialog box will pop up asking where u want to ouput the joined VOBs…show it the VIDEO_TS folder u created earlier.
then another box should pop up aking u to choose a VOB id for the first VOB just choose 1 and Ok it.
now joing will comence…when its finished close VOBedit and move onto next step…

STEP 4
creating new IFO files for the VOBs.
Start IfoEdit, and press the button ‘Create IFOs’:
Show it the first VOB file…
Now you will be prompted for a destination directory for the output IFO files. just show it the same folder (VIDEO_TS)
OK it and let it do its business…
when its finished close IFOedit and re-open it…show it your newly created IFOs in the VIDEO_TS directory…highlight the VIDEO_TS IFOfile…press “Get VTS Sectors” Button and keep OKing until its processed all it needs to…(maybe some…maybe none)
Close IFO edit.

STEP 6
Burn the DVDR.

If anyone know’s how to reencode the SVCD’s to true DVD compliance or a guide detailing how and which software to use, i would be utterly grateful.

Peace … Dawg [/B]

Just get this software (free trial):
http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/index.html

Then read this guide:
http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/tutorial/svcd.html

Tip:
If you are advanced user and you like quality and speed (for SVCDs). You should read this DVD -> SVCD guide:

i am talking about the BUP files the dvd navigation files if you place them all in the same folder to try and make one Movie you end up with 3 of the same files 3 BUP files 3 DVD navigation files if they overwrite eachother does it matter? i know you have to rename the VOB files to 1,2,3 etc… but since you used ifoedit it will create the same files, you need to have seperate folders for each svcd you do with ifoedit, but my question is what about the other files what do you do with them do you rename those too or just overwrite them when you put them all into one folder??

Thanks
TAURIAN

Originally posted by dawgster
[B]Hey guy’s,

Peace … Dawg [/B]

Welcome to the forum. Your problem is common with re-authored SVCD’s on a dvdr so your not alone.

Two faily simple ways to re-encode then to true DVD Compliant files :

1. Rip the MPG files off the CDR with VCDGear, IsoBuster, VCDEasy, or whatever to get true RIFF free MPG files ( dont just copy them across to your HD)
    Load the 3 files in correct order into DVD2AVI, set Audio to Track 1 & Demux. Then hit Save Project. This created a *.d2v and and audio stream file… Use VFAPIConv-EN.exe that comes with DVD2SVCD to convert the *.d2v file to an AVI (takes a min or so) then follow the AVI to DVDR Tutorial. You will need to manually convert the audio to 48khz sampling and to AC3. BeSweet, etc can do this for you.

2. I use a sneaky way to do the conversion. Extract the MPG’s off the cdr’s as above, but then rename each file to VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB and VTS_01_3.VOB and copy any VTS_01_0.IFO from a DVD. Put all in a folder and then follow the DVD to DVDR Tutorial. Ignore the movie file length and set to 4:3 aspect ratio. Again you will need to manually convert the audio though as above.

Hope that helps.