Problem converting Mpeg2 (.mpg not .vob) to other formats

Hello

I have some DVDs backed up to mpeg2 files that were converted from the original VOBs using VOB2MPG. These files playback correctly and I have been able to convert using Handbrake and MediaCoder.

When trying to convert one of these files using DVDFab File to Mobile, the conversion stops about 5-7% into the conversion. I am able to playback the resulting file but of course, its incomplete.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thank you

[QUOTE=secretsubscriber;2415605]Hello

I have some DVDs backed up to mpeg2 files that were converted from the original VOBs using VOB2MPG. These files playback correctly and I have been able to convert using Handbrake and MediaCoder.

When trying to convert one of these files using DVDFab File to Mobile, the conversion stops about 5-7% into the conversion. I am able to playback the resulting file but of course, its incomplete.

Thank you[/QUOTE]

Yup…there is navigation data (and some other stuff) both in the IFO files and also part of the VOB files that the mobile section needs to properly set up the conversions, synch the audio, etc. etc.

MPEG2 files all by themselves are missing certain things needed for the conversion.

If you can locate a quickie authoring program (DVD Shrink might even work in this case), author the files to your HD, then try a conversion on the re-authored files.

OC

:slight_smile:

Or use a different program such as AVI DeMux or AutoGK to convert.

[QUOTE=secretsubscriber;2415605]Hello

Thank you[/QUOTE]

Also…I know this is a silly question, but why did you convert the VOB files in the first place?

OC

Not a silly question at all.
I have quite a few DVD collections of my fave shows, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Aqua Team… and others.
I wanted to Create a collection full quality episode rips, with all the original audio streams, that i could use to transcode to various devices. I wanted the files to be somewhat independant of the whole DVD so i could rename the episode accordingly.
So i started by archiving with DVD Decryptor’s IFO mode. But its a tedious task. You have to rip every episode one at a time.
DVDFab’s VOB passthrough only allows for one audio track. Though if I could get all the audio streams in there it’d be the perfect solution because i also get the subtitle streams.
I found VOB2MPG and got what I wanted. Combined with DVDFab’s vob passthrough to extract the subtitles, I was able to get a file with all the audio streams plus the external subtitle files.

Did that make any sense?

I was hoping to use DVDFab File to Mobile because of the ease of use in create batch conversion jobs.

Though, now that i’ve used DVDFab for a bit, I’ll probably just convert straight from DVD from now on. Its so easy. Less storage.

Thanks for all the help.
I created a batch script that uses Handbrake to convert these files.

[QUOTE=secretsubscriber;2415803]Not a silly question at all.
I have quite a few DVD collections of my fave shows, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Aqua Team… and others.
I wanted to Create a collection full quality episode rips, with all the original audio streams, that i could use to transcode to various devices. I wanted the files to be somewhat independant of the whole DVD so i could rename the episode accordingly.
So i started by archiving with DVD Decryptor’s IFO mode. But its a tedious task. You have to rip every episode one at a time.
DVDFab’s VOB passthrough only allows for one audio track. Though if I could get all the audio streams in there it’d be the perfect solution because i also get the subtitle streams.
I found VOB2MPG and got what I wanted. Combined with DVDFab’s vob passthrough to extract the subtitles, I was able to get a file with all the audio streams plus the external subtitle files.

Did that make any sense?

I was hoping to use DVDFab File to Mobile because of the ease of use in create batch conversion jobs.

Though, now that i’ve used DVDFab for a bit, I’ll probably just convert straight from DVD from now on. Its so easy. Less storage.

Thanks for all the help.
I created a batch script that uses Handbrake to convert these files.[/QUOTE]

OK…always good to hear that you were able to work out your own way of getting what you wanted.

Enjoy your collection!

OC