Problem concerning my Sony DRU-810A

Ive installed my new Sony DRU-810 and updated the firmware to 1.0d. Before doing this and after installing the firmware for some reason I believe it is not being recognized. When i go into my device manager I have the following listed:

Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device
Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device
SONY DVD RW DRU-810A

Now the problem that I arrive at is when I try and burn a DVD or CD my computer will not find a drive. Such as when I use Nero the only listeing shown is the “Virtual Device Recorder” which allows me to burn an image to my computer (not helpful). When I use DVD Decrypter no drive is found. However I can use DVD X-COPY and backup some of my DVD’s. To me it looks like something to do with the Generic DVD-ROM… or something, but I would really appreciate some help because my $60 i spent is useless right now.

Thanks

try unistalling all devices and both ide channels in the device manager and restarting

hey nuge:
do you have an add-on ide controller??? when the cd-rom is listed as a scsi device its usually on a pci ide controller. bottom line is, i would uninstall all onbaord and add-on ide devices and controllers and reload drivers for the add-on ide card and then see what happens.

The two ‘Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device’ are probably displayed because you have set up Daemon tools to support two virtual drives. My guess is that you forgot to select the target drive in your burning software or your burning software does not like the Daemon tools. The next guess is that you use a Nero OEM version bundled with e.g. a Liteon drive that simply does not support a Sony drive.

I had that listed in Device Manager recently after reinstalling XP, when it either neglected to install or installed the wrong IDE drivers. My advice is similar to PumaUK’s: uninstall the IDE drivers and restart, or just select update drivers and see what Windows finds.

I just bought the Sony DRU-810A to replace my Sony DRU-500AX. I wanted something that could handle 8x and 16x DVD’s as well as the dual layered ones, so I went with the DRU-810A.

When I uninstalled my DRU-500AX I made sure that I set the “Master/Slave” jumper on the DRU-810A exactly as it was set on the 500AX, figuring that if it worked that way on the 500, it stands to reason that it would be the correct setting on the 810.

When I get everything back together and turned on the PC, the 810 would open the drive tray on it’s own. If I closed it, it would just open it again a moment later. I tried putting a DVD in it figuring that maybe when I closed it the DVD would get recognized and start to play, but it would just open the tray back up again.

It was recognized in the Device Manager (even said it was working properly) and it was recognized in “My Computer” where it would show the drive and then even say that it was the “Sony DRU-810A”, but it would constantly open the tray as if it wanted it to remain open at all times, if I closed it…sure enough…it would open it again.

Then I tried many different combinations of “Master” and “Slave” settings and some would not allow the tray to open at all.

Finally, just to make sure that everything else was alright, I put the DRU-500AX back in (the one that I was trying to replace) and everything worked fine. That is starting to tell me that maybe the DRU-810A drive is defective.

Anyone have any ideas?

Just to let you know, the “Master/Slave” jumpers also have a setting called “Cable Detect” and the configuration that I am currently using…that works, by the way, is where the Sony DRU-500AX as well as the DVD-Rom drive are BOTH set to “Cable Detect” with the jumpers.

That configuration works with the Sony 500, but not the 810.

Don’t use Cable Select. Set the jumper on the Sony as Master and the one on the DVD-ROM as Slave. Then connect the Sony at the end of the IDE-cable and the DVD-ROM at the middle connector on the same cable. The blue connector goes onto your mainboard.

Finally, make sure you’re using 80-wire IDE-cable (uses finer strands, like the one for your hard disk). Your old Sony probably used a 40-wire cable, which is not recommended for newer UDMA4 drives.