Problem: computer seeing IDE dvd burner as SCSI, won\'t read? (LG GSA-H10A)

vbimport

Hi,
Hopefully someone can figure out whats wrong.

I have one cd/dvd burner, LG (gsa-h10a i think). However, first off, under the cd/dvd drives tab-thing in Device Manager, it shows 3 drives:

BA0222K QMN219A SCSI CdRom Device
GI1554D SMO099Q SCSI CdRom Device
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10A ATA Device

I have no idea what the first two are, i don’t even have a SCSI device. The third i’m guessing is my LG. They all 3 have the little yellow exclamation error triangle thingy.

The main problem is, although it appears that the computer is detecting the drive (although with an error), It won’t read anything, and I can’t see the drive, explore it or anything. When i pop a disc in, it spins up slowly and the light blinks for 3 seconds, and then just leaves it with a casual slow spin idk wtf its doing.

The drive (and the entire computer) is only a year old, w/ Vista, mobo, 8800GTX, and equivalent hardware worthy of pwning n00bs. The drive was working fine until a few weeks ago.

I’ve also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drive, and nothing seems to work.

If anyone has any ideas as to how I can get it working again, or if its toast and I should just get another drive, your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

This would be my plan of action.

Check all cords and plug ins
Plug any optical drives into IDE0, and any HDD’s into IDE1 port.
Make sure you have an 80pin IDE, and not a 40 :slight_smile:
Go into the BIOS and disable any RAID options
download and re-install chipset drivers for your motherboard

:wink:

Hi and Welcome![quote=jgtr80;2091015]Hopefully someone can figure out whats wrong.

I have one cd/dvd burner, LG (gsa-h10a i think). However, first off, under the cd/dvd drives tab-thing in Device Manager, it shows 3 drives:

BA0222K QMN219A SCSI CdRom Device
GI1554D SMO099Q SCSI CdRom Device[/quote]These are virtual drives installed by software like Alcohol, Daemon Tools or similar.

I have no idea what the first two are, i don’t even have a SCSI device. The third i’m guessing is my LG. They all 3 have the little yellow exclamation error triangle thingy.

(…)
If anyone has any ideas as to how I can get it working again, or if its toast and I should just get another drive, your help would be much appreciated!
Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
For Vista, try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Michael

ahh k thats good to know; i do have Daemon tools and Alchohol.

Also, I tried that link to the microsoft site and followed it. Deleted the upper and lower filters in the reg and it fixed the problem!

Thanks all!
:bigsmile: