Problem burning with Memorex DVD+R DL discs

Hello.
I am trying to create a backup copy of “Korn: Live on the Other Side”.
I went out and bought some Memorex DVD+R DL discs so I don’t have to compress the file at all.
It reads the disc fine, but when it gets to the writing, it says “writing” for about a second and then the following error message pops up:

A write error has occured, probably caused by bad media.
Please replace the media and try again.

Under details it has the following:

WriteDVD 10 11 W2

I am using CloneDVD 2899
I am using AnyDVD 6031
My DVD burner drive is an NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG
I bought a 3-pack of discs and tried all three. No luck with any of them.
I have used Memorex DVD+R discs quite often in the past with no problems at all.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
Thank you in advance.

I will speak for alot of users here first check your firmware make sure you have the latest and get better quality media.

To be quite honest and I will probably sound dumb for saying this, but I don’t know anything about firmware…
Also, I take it most of you use Verbatim DL discs with no problem?

It’s hard for me to explain I’ll let someone else explain this better so they can say all that needs said at a level you can understand. All I know is it helps with compatibility on media it’ll burn to. You might read through this it may help you understand while waiting on a thorough response on this. Plus reading is good so you may learn something too.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Ok, I will check this out.
Thank you.

Should I try Verbatim DL discs?
I just want to make sure I don’t waste any more money on sub-par media.

I’m not yelling just extremly emphasizing “[B]YES[/B]”…LOL

While down there look through the media thread too it’ll be very helpful for you as well.

Thanks a lot…
I appreciate the tips.

Dr. Who is exactly right…you will find a ton of info on the threads he suggested.

Also, memorex media is crap, no offense to you intended. They’re easy to get a hold of and frequently on sale. Memorex has multiple manufacturers (bid to the cheapest, I would guess) and absloutely no consistency/reliability. You can check the MID (media code) with Nero CD-DVD Speed, free and very useful.

The only DL media you’ll see recommended here on cdf, is verbatim +R DL.

Just to add, an easy working definition off the net…

"Firmware is a software program or set of instructions programmed on a hardware device. It provides the necessary instructions for how the device communicates with the other computer hardware. But how can software be programmed onto hardware? Good question. Firmware is typically stored in the flash ROM of a hardware device. While ROM is “read-only memory,” flash ROM can be erased and rewritten because it is actually a type of flash memory.

Firmware can be thought of as “semi-permanent” since it remains the same unless it is updated by a firmware updater. You may need to update the firmware of certain devices, such as hard drives and video cards in order for them to work with a new operating system. CD and DVD drive manufacturers often make firmware updates available that allow the drives to read faster media. Sometimes manufacturers release firmware updates that simply make their devices work more efficiently.

You can usually find firmware updates by going to the “Support” or “Downloads” area of a manufacturer’s website. Keeping your firmware up-to-date is often not necessary, but it is still a good idea. Just make sure that once you start a firmware updater, you let the update finish, because most devices will not function if their firmware is not recognized."

edit: sorry Dr. Who, I’m typing as you’re posting and my typing sucks… :iagree:

Sounds good.
I will continue checking around the forums and it looks like I need to do some shopping. :slight_smile:
I will check neweggdotcom since I read they are having a rebate right now on Verbatim DL discs.
Thanks again.

No biggy Glad to see someone assist I know about firmware but it is hard to break it down to plain english for the average joe to understand. Which I like to do when explaining.

Nero CD-DVD Speed will also display your drive’s current firmware, plus a whole lot of other info. See attached image below.

Here the official NEC site
and cdf’s
The Big NEC F.A.Q.