Problem burning TYG02 on LiteOn SOHW-832S

vbimport

Bought these TYs from Blankmedia.ca http://www.blankmedia.ca/proddetail3.asp?id=421
Burned with Nero DVD-Video at 4X. These are my results. I’m not happy at all with these, I would like my PIEs below 40. :disagree: I’m going to fiddle around with my burner firmware, and try some others speeds as well. I’ll post back shortly.
~Jason

Try burning them at 8x instead of 4x.

Here’s one I justed burned with Nero at 8X :Z My burner usually burns DVDs better at 8X. I didn’t even bother letting it finish scanning. Either these discs suck, or my Lite-On really doesn’t like 'em right now.
~Jason

The 832S doesn’t burn TYG02 all that great. You may actually want to try Verbatim 8x DVD-R (MCC 02RG20); I’ve had better results with those and the 832S in the past. Barring that, you may want to pick up a new 18x or 20x burner since they’re about the same price as a 100 disc spindle of TY DVD-R :slight_smile:

Um… apparently not. O_o I’ve used Verbatim MCC before, the media code is MCC002, edit and I burned it with my Lite-On, and I produced the scan results you see below two years after the actual burn.The reason I bought TY is because everyone praises them, and because I just recently found out all my RitekG05 are degrading as we speak. There has to be a way for me to get similar results out of these TYs I just bought. I’m really getting tired of chucking media I just bought. I think I’m going to do some firmware changes and see what happens. Just out of curiosity, where could I purchase MCC002 say if I wanted to get some now?
~Jason

No idea about finding MCC002 as that’s 4x DVD+R and those are long gone from retail stores. MCC003 might be a better fit, 8x DVD+R, but even those are hard to find in B&M stores, though they’re still easily obtained online.

Ok. I wanted to see first what my 2x scan was like, and now that I did, clearly I can move on to do the firmware changes. This scan disturbs me… :rolleyes:

• This thread created by moving posts from another thread * *

Ok, same TYG02 now burned with my Emprex/BTC burner with Nero at 8X. What’s up with these discs? Quality change? :frowning:
~Jason

BTCs are not good burners anyway.
Your LiteOn may be a more accurate scanner than the “DVDRW IDE 16X A187”.

Here’s the same exact disc, but scanned with my Lite-On. :eek:
Well… I guess I’ll keep messing around with my Lite-On’s firmware. Although I’m really beginning to wonder about these discs.
~Jason

Well… It seems to be getting better, the first quarter has bad PIEs, but it drops down. This scan is of a PS2 game that I used Alcohol 120% at 8X to burn. I don’t know what else to do differently but not buy this media anymore, unless I figure out a way to correct this somehow. Maybe I’ll buy a different burner, but I really don’t think that’s going to change much. Does anyone think the reason I’m having problems with this media is because I’m using TY Value line (100-pk $25CAN) “TYG02”, and not normal TY like “YUDEN000T02”?? Would there be a big difference? :confused:
~Jason

TYG02 is Taiyo Yuden’s 8x DVD[B]-[/B]R.
YUDEN000 T02 is Taiyo Yuden’s 8x DVD[B]+[/B]R.
Older LiteOn burners preferred DVD+R over DVD-R, so you may have more luck with YUDEN000 T02.

Ah ok. Thanks kg_evilboy. Would you be able to recommend a really good DVD burner that I should consider buying? I don’t mind if the burner you have in mind would require a firmware change, I just want to buy one that will give me really low errors. :slight_smile:
Thanks again,
~Jason

^LG H42N, Pioneer 111.Both are excellent drives.

If you want burn quality: LG Hx2x, Pioneer 11[B]2[/B] (111 if you can find it at a good price).
If you want to do quality tests: LiteOn, Plextor, Samsung (?).

Ok. Thanks for the help guys. I came to the conclusion that this drive simply doesn’t like TYG02s. So I decided to go with another Lite-On, based on a few scans people posted from it. It doesn’t have the best results, but I think its promising. I picked it up today, the Lite-On LH-20A1S 20X burner. First burn, and it gave me score 93, Max PIF 3 and Max PIE 38. Which is acceptable, but I think with some firmware tinkering, it’ll be even better. I’ll post some scans later in the LH-20A1S thread. Thanks again for the advice, :slight_smile:
~Jason

A PI cliff in the first 8-10% or so of a TYG02 burn with an 832S is typical and nothing to worry about. Ther burnt disc will play just fine. :slight_smile:

True, but the burns aren’t consistent. Sometimes I’ll burn at 8x and it scans and Ill get some real bad PIFs like 20 or sometimes more and I’ve created a coaster. Most of the time I’ll know if its a bad burn because if my drive doesn’t spin up properly in the start up 10 secs spin of the quality test, its because there’s some bad errors. Sometimes a bad disc will show up to 80 PIFs but if i rescan the disc, and it spins up better (in the 10 sec start up spin) then it’ll report more like 10-20 PIFs on the exact same disc and speed. Either way, it is a 2nd Gen burner, and it’s been really good to me, but now it’s got a partner, the LH-20A1S :slight_smile: My new YUDEN000 T02 (which I ordered from blankmedia.ca yesterday) arrived today, and I didn’t pay for faster shipping O_o, they’re quick. Anyways, I’m going to see how my 832S likes the them. But as for the TYG02, they’re unwelcome in my 832S. The only firmware I didn’t try on my this burner (Originally an 802S) is the 812s firmware, which outdated and thus don’t think it’ll matter. All is good now, since my new Litey likes 'em.
~Jason

My 832S doesn’t like TY 8x media either. I too have the same problems as you do. I bought YUDEN000 T02 DVD+R 8x media in the hopes that it would give me a very high quality burn, but in fact, the burns are mediocre at best. I am just about ready to retire my 832S as a new burner will only set me back about $40, and since I still have plenty of the TY media, I figure that is a better way to spend the money. I am attaching a scan of a T02 disc I just created (at 8x) using Nero CD-DVD Speed and then run a quality test on.

By the way, how did the new media do on your new LiteOn you just bought?

SuperG