Problem burning DVD Data disks

Hi there I am new to this forum and was just wondering if any1 would be kind enough to help me!

I Have a HP compaq nx6110 laptop with a HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4082N DVD/CD RW drive. I have resently be downloading some movies that I would like to save to a DVD as my hard drive is full. I will not need to play them on a dvd player just leave in data format. The problem is my DVD drive will not recoqunise any DVD put into the drive??

Copying to CD’s is no problem.

when a blank DVD is in the drive and I click on the D: icon, it pops up with a msg saying “please insert a disk into Drive D:”

when clicking on properties it says the device is working properly…

Would this be a hardware or software fault?

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The problem is that it’s not possible to read a blank disc, because the disc is empty. If you insert a blank media on the drive and then try to open the disc double clicking as you are trying to do, the only thing you obtain is an error.

To be sure that your drive is not able to recognize media, you need to use a burning software like nero (this is only an example; there are many burning softwares).

Even simpler, you can use cd-dvd speed (free; download it here). Run it, insert a blank media and select the “disc info” tab. If the drive is able to recognize the disc, you can see here some information on the disc.

Another question. Can you explain better what movies are you trying to burn?

Hi,

you’ll have to use a CD/DVD burning software.

Michael

Geno was faster :bigsmile:

Hi,
I am just copying standard avi movies!

I do use Nero 7, u are right the computer is recognizing the disk, but i got half way threw the burn process and it sed this!

8:33:13 PM #26 CDR -1093 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 167
No seek complete
D: HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4082N

8:33:13 PM #27 TRANSFER -24 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 167
Could not perform end of Disc-at-once

8:33:14 PM #28 Phase 38 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1730
Burn process failed at 8x (11,080 KB/s)

any ideas, this has happened several times! I use sony disk which im guessing are okish quality?

I never have problem writing to CD??

What discs are you using exactly? Can you post here brand and mediacode? Mediacode can be retrieved with cd-dvd speed.

At what speed are you trying to burn?

im using sony D11 disks. I have the cd dvd speed thing, but how would i use it to get the media code.

I write at 8x, which is the max i think!

Sony D11 is the mediacode :slight_smile:

Mediacode is shown in the “disc info” tab (see picture, the red square), whereas brand is written in the box of the disc.

I do not have a box with the disks, and the only thing on them is AccuCore, Sony, 4.7GB

Sony discs are not so bad media. Probably your drive doesn’t like them very much. Try to burn @4x to see if this solve.

ok ill give that a bash! thanks for ur help

You’re welcome :slight_smile: