Problem burning an audio cd, remains blank

Okay, I’m a total newbie to computer stuff so I’m going to try to explain this as clearly as possible, thanks in advanced for the help!

I’ve been having this problem for some time now: I try to burn an audio CD (have tried using many programs, including iTunes and Windows Media Player and I do not wish to install a new program b/c I want to use iTunes/WMP)
But when I try to burn an audio CD, it doesn’t work… it goes through all of the steps and looks like it is burning, it reads the blank cd, transfers songs onto cd, and finalizes. Then the computer says it’s done but then a few minutes later the cd is recognized as a blank cd again and there is nothing on it when I check it via My Computer. (I also can’t burn images or anything onto a cd)

I used to be able to burn cds on my laptop but starting last Dec. it just stopped. I have checked and it says that I have the latest hardware installed and that the drive is enabled. I have also tried lowering the burn speed of the cd burner and in iTunes/WMP, it’s at 8x. Is this possibly a problem with the actual cd burner drive thing? I have tried cleaning it but nothing works. By the way, it can read cds, but it can’t burn them. Can someone please give me some advice? I’m so desperate! I’ll do anything to avoid spending 4 hours on the phone with a dell support person from India.

System Info:
Laptop = Dell Inspiron E1505
Windows XP Professional, SP3
And on the side of my laptop where the CD/DVD drive is, it says… Compact disc ReWritable Ultra Speed, RW DVD+ReWritable, and DVD R/RW
Windows Media Player 11
iTunes 8
Using TDK cd-r’s, 700 MB

try using ‘Burrrn’ (http://www.burrrn.net/download/burrrn_package.exe) to burn your AUDIO CD’s :wink:

if that dont work… either your burner is dead OR there could be some sorta of software conflicts on your PC causing it to act up like that.

p.s. since your using Itunes i assume your songs got that DRM crap in them? , if they do, there probably aint much else you can do besides use that crappy itunes software i would assume.

[QUOTE=NBR;2194761]try using ‘Burrrn’ (http://www.burrrn.net/download/burrrn_package.exe) to burn your AUDIO CD’s :wink:

if that dont work… either your burner is dead OR there could be some sorta of software conflicts on your PC causing it to act up like that.

p.s. since your using Itunes i assume your songs got that DRM crap in them? , if they do, there probably aint much else you can do besides use that crappy itunes software i would assume.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, I’ll try to use that but…
You said “either your burner is dead OR there could be some sort of software conflicts on my PC causing it to act up,” What do I do if it is dead? Replace it? confused And how can I be 100% sure it’s dead, because I don’t want to replace it if it can be repaired.
How do I know if some software if conflicting with the burner?

Also, only some of my songs are directly from iTunes, most of library are my cds that I just uploaded to iTunes so I don’t think the DRM thing is an issue

You are sure that [B]test mode[/B] was not activated?

No, I’m pretty sure test mode is not activated, but thanks for the suggestion.

NBR - I tried using Burrrn but it didn’t work, so what do I do now since the problem is with my burner? Replace? (how?) Repair? (how?)

Also NBR you were right about the DRM thing on iTunes, I can’t burn songs I bought on iTunes using other programs. =[ What are good alternatives that are DRM-free? Napster?

Okay I just talked to a Dell Associate via chat on the website… and they told me that I had to buy a new one. So when I buy the new one and install it, will I [I]finally[/I] be able to burn cds again? (I don’t want to spend $109 for nothing!)

NBR - you were right about the DRM thing on iTunes, I can’t burn songs I bought on iTunes using other programs. =[ What are good online music stores that are DRM-free?

Does anyone know if getting a new burner for $109 will for sure fix my problem? I asked a dell person but of course they were going to say yes you had to buy a new one…

Make sure you have uninstalled the drive in devicemanager, then delete the upper & lower filters & restart.