Problem backing up a DVD with Anydvd + Clone dvd

I have tried to make a copy of my “HITCH” dvd and everytime i do the following message comes up about 30 seconds into the copy:

Processing error:
D:/VIDEO_TS/VTS_08_1.VOB: read error
Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
If reading the media has failed, please clean the surface and try again.

then under “details” its says:
File 1 D:/VIDEO_TS/VTS_08_1.VOB 23 TCSectorReader

Can anyone tell me what the problem is? this dvd is an ex-rental and has a fair few scratched on it.

thanks,
Trent

p.s. the Hitch dvd plays fine in my dvd player and on my computer.

1st clean the disc as described here
then use dvddecrypter or iso buster to copy disc to your hd then use clone dvd.

Aha, extra Sony Protection. Make sure you have installed the latest version of Any DVD. It should cope with that.

i’m confused? why is there “extra” sony protection?

my copy of hitch worked fine with whatever version of anydvd was out when the movie came out.

wouldn’t the appearance of a cyclic redundancy error and the mention that the disc is pretty scratched up point mostly to a damaged disc?

ok, i downloaded a new version of anydvd and it copied fine, thanks for the help.

i have another problem. i am trying to make a copy of “bad Santa” but when it comes to selecting the file in Clonedvd the following comes up where the video preview should appear:

D:/VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_2.VOB: invalid file size
(OSUtill0 [W string])

can anyone lend any help as to what this means as it wont let me make a copy.

thanks

as it wont let me make a copy

p.s. i can continue through the clonedvd program but am worried it will make a bad copy.

Most rental dvd’s have additional copy protection.

Start up anydvd, pop in the dvd and copy paste the entire contents on your harddisk. If that’s successful, you can shrink/clonedvd the content and write it.

Not sure of the problem copied fine with 1ClickDVDCopy

i work at a rental store, and i have no knowledge about enhanced protection on rental discs. there’s nothing different about rental dvds and retail dvds (at least not in my store) in fact, before our distribution center decided to give us a hand, we used to have to make barcodes and labels for the normal retail copies to convert them to rental. The movies come to us from the studio just like you’d buy them in a store except they ship them before they undergo shrinkwrapping.

many independent rental stores actually opt to buy some discs after the release date in bulk from local retailers so they can gauge the demand at their store without having to overstock up front and lose money.

if there are documented articles about this, i’d be interested in seeing them. I’m googling at the moment and not really finding anything that confirms that rentals have more protection than retail copies.

Yes you are correct in your store and in your country there might not be any difference in rental and retail DVD. But CD Freaks have members from 120 different countries and each country has its own Distribution of DVD’s and I wouldn’t be surprised if the DVD’s in some countries are made in a different plant and could have some type of extra or different protection on the DVD

i wasn’t trying to sound like a know it all or say he was wrong. I’m genuinely interested to read about something like that regardless of what country its from since I’ve never heard of it outside of this forum, and this isn’t the first time I’ve seen someone comment about a difficult disc and someone else say “oh, it must be extra copy protection.”

i tried googling, but to no avail. do you know where I can find more info on the topic?