Problem at end of disc of both DVD and audio CD

I have my BTC 1004 dvd burner for 1,5 weeks now, and I only got 1 good dvd so far, the rest all had errors at the end of the disc (last chapters) and even audio cd’s have errors near the end of the disc…please help!! I have used different software and media, clonedvd, nero6, Imgtool, TDK,Sony, Mmore etc…please help I am getting crazy about this!!

this is what my discs look like after burning in Kprobe…

It is the same for me and a friend of mine … even if not so bad as yours … i think firmware developers should pay more attention to the problem in the last area of the disk … even if it is not easy, cause you spend a lot of time beetween different test … but all error measurement show that error increases a lot at the end of disk … sometimes non so many to make the disk unusefull … sometimes yes. All the bad disk I and my firneds have got … all for errors in the last 5% of the disk!!!

Here we go again. Same old story. Same answer.

Why wont you guys listen :frowning: Dont use Princo! Try some quality media if you want quality results. This has been said before (many, many, many times before) but apparently some users refuse to listen? Or did you forget to do a search on Princo?

If you want to solve your problem once and for all forget Princo!

If you want to use Princo go buy another burner (the quality of the Princo media will still be low but you might get better results due to better write strategies in other burners).

Sorry to sound old and grumpy stefan_vdp but why dont you use the resources available in this forum instead of posting problems that have been answered so many times before.

No matter what the official BTC compatibility list say Princo is not very well supported on the 1004IM. The quality is LOW, VERY LOW and there are many different discs available with same MID=PRINCO but of very different qualities. Some better than others, but still: buy decent media. If you want the cheap stuff browse this forum for information. It’s there if you just care to look for it.

Ok, I’m better now. Calmed down a bit.

Cheers,
Peter

I have the same problem with quality media Verbatim (TYG01 and MCC 00RG200). The beginning of the disc ist perfect, but the end is unreadable. See the scan of a disc:

I’m not using Princo, I use Verbatim 4x, and RITEK -R 4x … and others not cheap … sometimes they work fine … expecially RITEK … but from time to time a few bytes in one of the last sectors are bad … not a real problem on a DVD reader … but a unkind problem on a p.c. ( bad CRC) … besides ALL pi / po figures, for all media showed a peek of errors in the last part of the DVD … i think a solution to this problem …and voila … no mere big problems on this BI1004|||

and here is the scan of the Verbatim - MCC 00RG200. Same problem at the end of disc. Both discs are on the supported list …

pdu, I did read the posts about Princo, if these would have solved my problem I would not post again ofcours…I have the same problem with Sony, TDK, Mmore and other (expensive) media I tried (not MID=Princo). Sometimes I get a DVD that is good but most of the time the last part of the disc contains too many errors and is unreadable. It seems just to happen at random…I also tried it with Nero, CloneDVD etc. With some media that is said to be supported by the BTC 1004 the amount of errors is indeed less than with some unsupported media, but still the last part of the disc contains too many errors. The burner should be reliable…

do you guys test on a DVD-ROM or lite-on burner?

some of my ritek G03 -R also looks like these doing K’s probe from a DVD-ROM (I have no Lite-On burner), although the +RW does much better, in addition on the -R transfer tests, the speed drops from 6x to 2x at around 3GB point and looks like it’s struggling from that point, while the +RW goes to 8x at the end on a smooth rising curve, comparing these charts, I am starting to think the BTC is better for the +RW than -R

I read you are supposed to test from a DVD writer rather than DVD-ROM for accurate results also the writer will lock the drive at the recommended 4x test speed while the DVD-ROM can not lock, at 8x at the end the higher the speed the more errors there are

my question is I see the speed goes from 3x at first to 8x at the end, why does the DVD-ROM do that? thanks

I have attached screenshots of my results with MID=BeAll.G00001. The brand is Samsung DVD-R 2X. I do not experience this problem towards the end of the disc. At least not with this media.

Have you tried a transferrate test on the media with these problems? Does the transferrate also drop towards the end? There is not always a connection between higher C1/C2 errors towards the end and the transferrate test.

Try performing a Scandisc/surfacescan with Nero CD-DVD Speed. Are any sectors actually unreadable?

…continued…
And here is the transferrate test.

I can only recommend this media. It’s cheap and it produces the best burn quality I have seen with the 1004IM.

my question is I see the speed goes from 3x at first to 8x at the end, why does the DVD-ROM do that?

This is just the nature of any optical drive. Data is written to the media from the inside out. The further the laser moves away from the center of the media the more data can be transferred, hence the speed increase in the transfer rate.

Originally posted by pdu
This is just the nature of any optical drive. Data is written to the media from the inside out. The further the laser moves away from the center of the media the more data can be transferred, hence the speed increase in the transfer rate.

so what does rdgrimes mean by locking the drive at a certain speed:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78353&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

I seem to think he was saying the transfer speed that should be fixed for the test like a cd player that would slow its rotational speed reading the outside tracks, and not the disk spinning speed that would result in the transfer rate going from 3x to 8x

also, is your Samsung test run on the BTC 1004? the title says so but I thought k’sprobe only works on lite-on drives, am I wrong? thanks

Originally posted by cdf
is the test run on the BTC 1004? the title says so but I thought k’sprobe only works on lite-on drives, am I wrong? thanks

K’s Probe works fine on the 1004IM (uses MediaTek chipsets just like the LiteOn LDW-401/411 drives).

Cheers,
Peter

Here’s a test of my first ever Audio CD burned with the BTC 1004IM drive. The media manufacturer is Plasmon Data systems Ltd. and the recording layer is PhthaloCyanine Material according to Alcohol 120% (that sounds kind of toxic doesn’t it?). Though the media is rated at 40X I decided to burn at 24X

Any Dutch here? where can I buy cheap MID=BeAll.G00001, Samsung DVD-R 2X?? thx pdu, I amg going to try this media first now.

Originally posted by pdu
[B]K’s Probe works fine on the 1004IM (uses MediaTek chipsets just like the LiteOn LDW-401/411 drives).

Cheers,
Peter [/B]

thank you for the hint I used 1004 to run some tests last night and yeah! it locked the drive right at 4x which I was never able to do on the lite-on DVD-ROM that skews the results

alas, this disc was readable a few days ago after burning and now PowerDVD says media is dirty, and transfer speed tests would stop halfway, I am confused why it worked a few days before and now it won’t anymore, does the burn “settle” after a while?