Problem: 811S only burning 16x Verbatim DVD+R at 2.4x

I have the Liteon 811S burner. I am having a problem burning Verbatim 16X DVD+R discs at 8X on my 811S. My burner can burn other brand discs at 8X just fine, I am ONLY having the problem with these Verbatim discs. These
discs are known as high quality discs from Mitsubishi so I am not sure why I cannot burn them higher than 2.4X with the 811S. I have cheap DVD+R discs from CMC which burn fine at 8X on the 811S. Is there a known problem with the Verbatim discs and the 811S? I have the latest HSOR firmware. My drives are configured to use DMA mode. Here is the info on the Verbatim DVD+R disc:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-004-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
Media Type ID : [004]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]
[Method 2 Might Not Always Detect All Speeds]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I tried multiple discs from the spindle and I get 2.4X for all of them, I don’t think the discs are all bad. Other than this problem with Verbatims, this burner has worked fine for me. Any ideas on what the problem is? Thanks for any help!

Hi, and welcome to the LiteOn forum,

This media type is new and is unsupported on this old drive. Use 8x +R media. Not 16x.

You might be able to get good results by doing this:
1/ Download MediaCodeSpeedEdit (see tools collection sticky) and load your firmware in MCSE.
2/ Rename one of the unused +R media codes to “MCC”, “004”, “00” (MID, TID, rev). Save the frmware.
3/ Download OmniPatcher (see tools collection sticky) and load your firmware in OP.
4/ Double-click on the MCC004 media code and switch the write strategy to MCC003.
5/ Save, flash, burn, and post your results…

Really funny that this abbreviation is used.
:iagree:

Well, old post, but saved my butt (actually, it saved 811’s butt, I was going to replace it because of that same problem).
Tnx for your help (again). :slight_smile: