Prob with Burnt Nerovision DVD's

vbimport

Hi people.
Please can anyone give some advice.

I have been trying to put old videos onto DVD. I am copying the video over to a stanalone DVD recorder then putting these files onto my PC to edit, title etc on Nerovision.

When I burn the finished project, the film judders very badly. But, if I fast forward it, even for just a split second it then plays perfectly.

I have contacted Nero and they told me that from the log file etc the project is not creating any errors.

I have tried the following solutions, some of which were also suggested by Nero -

I have tried 4 different types of media.
I have made sure that I have the latest updates for my burner, Philips SPD6005T.
In Nero’s settings I have tried with the ‘quality settings’ set at ‘Standard Play’
I have tried burning at the slowest speed. X4
I have tried the burnt DVD’s on 3 seperate standalone DVD players.

I now have no idea what else to try.
Have any of you guys got any ideas (sensible ones please)

Cheers.

Just as an after thought. If I were to save my project, as a NeroVision document, are there any other programs out there that will burn this file?

When you copy the video over to the dvds with your dvd recorder, do these videos show any of the problems at this point, or only after using NeroVision? My guess is after.

I’m assuming there is a good reason for processing through the standalone recorder first…are the original videos on a camcorder or tape that you cannot hook up directly to the computer?

I’ve never been impressed with NeroVision, in any shape or form. You might want to try a free trial of VideoRedo TV Suite or Womble Mpeg Video Wizard DVD for importing, editing and producing dvd-video.

The most recommended media around here is Verbatim. Have you tried those? Burn the 16x Verbatim at 8x or 12x speed. But it really doesn’t sound like a problem with burning or your media choice…this is due to Nero not coping well with the edits you’ve made in the video.

First, thanks for replying Kerry56

The files are perfectly ok before running through NeroVision.

My main reason for not hooking my video up straight to my PC was that some of the video tapes are very old and a bit ‘scratchy’. So the program kept cancelling when it came to any bad bits.

Had a quick look at the 2 progs you mention and then realised that I had forgot to mention that the files are saved onto the standalone in Vob file format. Which limits the programs which I can use. Including those which you have suggested.

This was really the reason I chose Nero. It recognises the Vob files to re format and all I was really doing was putting a few titles in to seperate different sequences.

Could you suggest anything else? Please.

Cheers.

I recommended those two programs specifically because they can import dvd video. DVD Video is actually mpeg2 encoded to very specific settings, then placed inside .vob container files. Both of these programs can import dvds directly. Some of the programs they make cannot, but VideoReDo TV Suite and Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD both can.

They are also suited for you since they are designed to edit mpeg2 video. Not many programs do this well. And they both have authoring capability so that you can output to a finished dvd.
Its been a while since trying either, so I don’t remember if they include a burning capability, but would be surprised if they do not. In any case you can burn with Nero. I have actually replaced Nero with ImgBurn for all my video burns, but that is another subject.

Don’t be put off by the emphasis at VideoRedo on tv captures with their program. It’s mpeg editing/authoring functions are what are important for your situation.

Give them a try. The trials cost nothing but download time.

If you want another option, you should look at Ulead Studio Plus. I’m not sure it can import dvd video directly, but there is an easy way around that. You can rename the .vob files with an .mpeg extension and it should recognize them. Another way (the way I use) is to get Vob2Mpg and run the dvd video through it. There is no loss of quality removing the mpeg video out of the vob files, and this is a very easy tool to use. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG You’ll need to rip the video to the hard drive first of course, before trying to change the extension or run it through Vob2Mpg. That is also simple to do, and can be done with any dvd ripping program…DVDDecrypter would work fine for this. You can find it at www.mrbass.org

By the way, I forgot to mention this, but on the dvds you have now, I think I would take the output from Nero (or rip the video off the dvd to the hard drive in file mode if you don’t already have it there), then run the video through the Quickstream Fix tool in VideoRedo TV Suite. It might not help, but is something to try to fix the existing problem. Then use VideoRedo to make a dvd as output.

Thanks Kerry56

I’m away most of this weekend but as soon as I get back I will certainly try the suggestions you have given.
It will probably take a week or so but I will defenately get back to you with my results.
Thanks very much for the help given so far.

Cheers.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2118833]When you copy the video over to the dvds with your dvd recorder, do these videos show any of the problems at this point, or only after using NeroVision? My guess is after.

I’m assuming there is a good reason for processing through the standalone recorder first…are the original videos on a camcorder or tape that you cannot hook up directly to the computer?

I’ve never been impressed with NeroVision, in any shape or form. You might want to try a free trial of VideoRedo TV Suite or Womble Mpeg Video Wizard DVD for importing, editing and producing dvd-video.

The most recommended media around here is Verbatim. Have you tried those? Burn the 16x Verbatim at 8x or 12x speed. [B]But it really doesn’t sound like a problem with burning or your media choice…this is due to Nero not coping well with the edits you’ve made in the video.[/B][/QUOTE]
Well I’ve had many problem files that many high end encoders choked on, yet Nero worked.

I would try 2 things in NV. Load one of your VOB’s edit it, then use the Export function to save it as an mpg on your HD. See how that plays.

Just as an after thought. If I were to save my project, as a NeroVision document, are there any other programs out there that will burn this file?

Of course. You should always save the output of any project, with any app, to your HD so that it can be checked before burning. In NV choose Write to Hard Disk Folder. It will then create a VIDEO_TS folder. Clicking on the VIDEO_TS.IFO will usually play the entire job. All this will tell you if in fact the problem is Nero or media related. You can burn the resultant files with ImgBurn in ‘Build’ mode.

@MysticEyes
Making cuts in a compressed format like mpeg2 requires a frame accurate cutting program. Both of the programs I’ve recommend offer this, and will only reencode around the cut points when necessary (when something other than an I frame is selected). Nero Vision has a very poor rep for this type of editing in compressed formats, and has been a source of problems for many people, including myself when I first started. I soon abandoned Nero for any type of video encoding. NV is the most likely culprit in this particular case going by the information provided.