Printing on DVD cost per disc vs with a label

vbimport

For those that print from Epson direct to CD/DVD what is cost per disc vs. printing on a label. thanks.

I’m not even thinking about cost (or cost difference) because paper disc labels are the worse thing that ever happened to cd/dvd labeling. :stuck_out_tongue:

Epson Stylus Foto R3** series are good choice when it comes to disc printing btw.

talk to me PInto. why?
my test show that lables are not so bad if applied well.

still I bought an Epson because of warning I heard.

I got through 40 CDs and the inks were close to empty (replacement cost $80)

hence, now the need for this post

Look at it this way: If the paper label destroys your DVD, makes it unreadable, how much does that cost you?

Canon printers that have disc capability are fairly cheap to operate if you get one with separate tanks and use compatible tanks or refill them yourself. Any printer will cost you a lot to operate if you use expensive carts and print with full res settings. But given similar print settings, a paper label will cost as much to print as a printable disc.

what model epson do you have? you can find high quality compatible inks as low as $1 a cartridge for some models (R200/220/300/320/340)

some of the newer models are harder to find, but are still cheaper than OEM carts

Moving this to a more appropriate forum.

I bought a refurbished Epson R300, and like you was out of ink after about 40 DVD’s. Went to Sams and bought replacement Epson ink for about $56 (best of my recollection). The Epson replacement ink is holding up and I’ve printed over 100 DVD’s using it. So my guess is that the original ink supplied with the printer has less ink. Also recommend you do a search on Epson printers in the forum. Lot’s of threads on low cost replacement ink from other sources.

As others have commented IMO stay away from labels. I’ve used them before with acceptable Scans after the label has been applied. I think the issue with labels is that even if you have applied it correctly, as they age, they shrink and crack resulting in a warped disk and lots of problems.

CD’s are much less sensitive to this than DVD’s, and I’ve read in past threads that better quality labels are much less prone to shrinkage.

IMO use your Epson printer instead, and find a source for low cost inks and printable CD’s / DVD’s. Microcenter usually has good sales on printable DVD’s and CD’s. Just ordered some low cost ink from the following site, haven’t used it but heard good things on previous threads.

http://www.abacus24-7.com/home.aspx?affiliateid=10217

How often does this happen, labels destrying the media. isn’t that extremely rare? ie if they are applied really well

also, the printer takes full minute to made cd, only 7 seconds for label, isn’t this indication taking a lot more ink?

My epson 260 has separte tanks, and ran out very quickly. My Canon 1600 bubblejst is just two tanks and last long time. I think seperate tanks is much more expensive.

I just got the 260, normally I don’t mess with 3rd party inks, but I would in this case. Can I get them?

It happens so often it’s not even funny.

This is just one of many threads about paper labels on DVDs being bad:

Sticky paper labels on DVD+/-R discs: beware!

There have been many other instances of problems on these forums being due to paper labels.

My epson 260 has separte tanks, and ran out very quickly. My Canon 1600 bubblejst is just two tanks and last long time. I think seperate tanks is much more expensive.

You could also draw the conclusion that Epson printers are very expensive to operate.

thanks Drage, did not know the problem was so bad. No one at Neato will let you know for sure. So that’s it then print from the Epson at about $1-2 per cd.

As I said in my earlier post, printing on a disk from the Epson printer was not even half the $1 per CD you stated. I think the original ink carts. supplied on an Epson printer are not fully filled.

I purchased a new set of inks from Sams at $56 for all inks, and after 100 DVD’s I still have a lot of ink left.

In addition, if you query the forum you can see that there are a lot of substitute inks out ther for less than 1/2 that cost. I purchased some, but have yet to use up my original Sam’s Epson ink.

For CD’s / DVD’s I think you can afford to go with the cheaper ink. The only thing I haven’t tested out is if this new ink has a greater tendency to smear when wet. The Epson ink is great. So for now, at Sam’s wholesale price, if I would guess, I would get at least 150 CD / DVD’s for $56 which would cost out at 38 cents per disk for the ink. If the $25 for ink I got at Abacus is good, then my net cost for ink would be 17 cents per disk. If you buy a greater amount of ink, then you net cost would obviously be less.

Do some forum searchs, I’ve seen some people get ink at very low prices. If you can wait for these deals, and are willing to store ink, your net cost per CD / DVD will be a lot less.

IMO even at 38 cents per disk for ink it is well worth it. I think paper labels are ok for CD’s because they are a lot less sensitive to warping, but using paper labels on DVD is only good if they are throw aways.

Ok guys here is my 2 cents on this! I have Epsons, the new HP and I also have several Primera Pro Printers.
My Epsons all run on CIS systems and I can say that I get close to 800+ total on the tanks filled at a cost of $28US for the inks which are 720ml. I have after market cartridges as well for them and can get on average depending on coverage close to 150 from a set. The HP is still in the testing phase and have yet to get a clear view on output total but so far have done 60+ and still reads half full.
Now for the Primera printers I get my cartridges refilled by a company for about $20US each and from them output close to 300 to 500 depending on coverage.

I use Taiyo Yuden that cost me around 28 cents US each and a few others that run around 30 to 35 cents US ea. Both full face and regular, White and the wonderful Silver.
So cost for each DVD printed which varies greatly on coverage of ink on each DVD can change from time to time but just by a small amount.
I figure costs per DVD on average for me is well below a Dollar US.
And as for the people still using labels again like I always say, “Just Don’t”.

And yes most manufactures send all there printers out with promo ink cartridges that are most often half of the normal cartridge. Just like the laser printers do with there toners with new printers.

Luvs Jenni
:slight_smile:

OT: I’ve always been curious about silver printables. What benefits do they bring? I’d always assumed that white was best for images. What would silver be best for?

And yes most manufactures send all there printers out with promo ink cartridges that are most often half of the normal cartridge. Just like the laser printers do with there toners with new printers.

Canon, AFAIK, always has and still ships all printers will real (full) ink tanks.

thanks Bob!
well I called Epson, and those are full tanks supplied, but they insinuate, that the second round would last longer.
Excellent news. I have to look Sams, B&H has my whole set color $65 and BW $15 total of $80, usually no one beats them, I have Epson 260 though. very happy to hear this though, but wonder how long can the inks last in printer if I’m just printing Sporadically – can last in printer year, two years?

The blank media ( and the printer) is no issue for price, expense, it’s the inks that are the killer by costs in this.

CD are ok for labels? I mean 90% of what I need is for CDs. I have used so far Neato labels. why cd better? or less problems?

Doll: others, please tell me for Epson 260 where I can get 3rd party inks or inks at better rate than BH photo. please send links thanks! appreciate it!

CD are ok for labels? I mean 90% of what I need is for CDs. I have used so far Neato labels. why cd better? or less problems?

CD’s do not have some of the issues with paper labels that DVD’s do, but the potential damage is more severe if it does occur. CDR’s are made with the reflective dye on the back side, protected only by a thin layer of lacquer. That layer is what you apply the label to. So if the label peels off it can take the reflective layer with it. This is more common with cheaper CDR’s, but any CDR has that potential. I have some CDR’s that are many years old with paper labels on them that are fine, so far. But I wouldn’t use paper labels now.

thanks CD, I"m sold I’m keeping the printer. Now, can I get the ink cost low? where, url? 3 party? and should I go 3rd party. I tried 3rd party for a laser printer and that was a disaster

Kevs
Here is a good deal and I have bought these and they have worked very well
http://www.supermediastore.com/epson-r200-r300-r220-r320-inkjet-cartridge-3pk.html
Also a CIS system for these Epsons also are wonderful and run from 50US to 80US for the setup online, and inks for them often come with them and refills which amount to close to changing cartridges around 20 times are about 28US.
Luvs Jenni :wink:

unfortunately those inks won’t work in an R260, here is the link for R260:

http://www.supermediastore.com/epson-r260-r380-rx580-ink-combo-t078120-t078220-t078320-t078420-t078520-t078620-comp.html

I’ve ordered ink from supermediastore.com before and it was G&G, which is regarded as the highest quality compatible cartridges available :slight_smile:

Since printers don’t have white or silver ink, you can’t get any white color on a silver printable just as you can’t get any silver color on a white printable.

So if you wan’t discs with a label that includes a silver background or silver areas, the silver printable is the only way you can achieve that, and anything that is “white” on your screen becomes “silver” on the DVD because no ink is printed in that area.

Perhaps this post will be helpful in answering your question. In this post you can see an example of the difference between white and silver inket printable.

There’s also this related thread:

color printing differences