Printing more than 1 disc-Epson R280

vbimport

Has anyone figured a way to print more than one disc at at time on the Epson R280 or any other direct to disc printer?
I was thinking it might be possible to modify the CD tray to print say
2 mini discs or 2 hockey rink discs at a time. The printer itself seems to reject printing to the tray outside of the size of a full size CD.
Any thougts?

Why? Even if you somehow managed to get 2-at-a-time in the tray, you’d spend [B]more[/B] time butchering the tray, figuring out the print settings, & misprinting discs than just doing them 1-at-a-time.

I agree with Steve…I too have an R280, and personally see zero benefit in this. A full size disc prints in less than a minute with excellent quality. It’d be easier to just print a disc, rmeove it from the tray, pop in a blank (label) and hit print again…
just my 2 cents

Reason for asking is that printer is capable of printing letter size or even legal size. Sure Thing software has a template for printing multiple hockey rink CDs. Can layout any number of images to sheet. Printer itself seems to be deliberately crippled to print only one disc at a time.
2 or even 3 full sized discs would fit letter size. 2 would fit on tray size.
6 or 9 hockey rink size discs would fet letter size. 6 would fit on tray size.
If there is some way to overcome Epson’s deliberate(?) limitation, printer would be much more productive.
The printer with a continuous ink system makes cheap prints on CDs or DVDs. Simply looking for way to print faster.
I am going to try and modify a tray for this printer. Should not be too difficult. Tray would hold multiple discs. Will try 2 up hockey rink tray first.
Only difficulty I see would be getting the printer to print more than one disc at a time.
I have looked at other manufacturers CD/DVD printers and and turned off by their overpriced hardware and overpriced ink cartridges.

The printer is not “deliberately crippled”. It’s designed to work with the provided disc tray, and only with that. The tray has to be drawn into the printer and aligned so that printing is centered. In order to print 2 discs on one tray, it would have to draw the extra-long tray completely through the back of the printer and start with the bottom disc first. However, it’s the tray that’s used for alignment, not the disc. So it cannot be done unless you have a wide-format printer that could print 2 discs side-by-side.

Keep in mind that the paper is top fed, and the paper actually bends when it’s fed through the printer. So the printer would be a lot bigger to to be able to feed multiple disks as they can not be bent. And then if there were such a larger printer, I certainly wouldn’t want the headache of alligning multiple disks…

Even the auto-loading pro disc printing systems print one disc at a time. But for high volume that would be the way to go.

[QUOTE=CDan;2182151]Even the auto-loading pro disc printing systems print one disc at a time. But for high volume that would be the way to go.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I agree. They are pricey, and only worth the cost if you are going to print a ton of the same disks. If you’re only gonna print 2 or three of any given disk tho, probably not worth it on most budgets. Also, I have never seen a printer that can print multiple disks as the same time…Epson, HP, Canon…non of them make a model like this. So it’s not an Epson thing to cripple their printers.

[quote=josephwfrancis;2182061]Sure Thing software has a template for printing multiple hockey rink CDs. Can layout any number of images to sheet. Printer itself seems to be deliberately crippled to print only one disc at a time.[/quote]No, it can print several PAPER DISK LABELS on one sheet of specialty paper. That’s totally different from direct-to-disk printing.

If you want to print a bunch of labels in one pass & then cut them out, you’ll need a supply of self-adhesive paper & either a WishBlade (PITA) or CriCut ($). Then you’ll have to deal with getting them centered on the disks so they stay balanced.

But you’ll save time, money, & hassle by just printing one disk at a time.

A multiple disc printing tray has been done before.

A company called Verity Systems offered a 6 full sized disc printing solution but discontinued it a few years back. It was a wide format Epson printer with a steel tray (probably too expensive to mold the plastic for such a limited audience), and only did discs - the paper option was sacrificed. It was aimed at the professional production market and I believe was somewhere around $1,200, or around the same price of an entry level automated disc printer such as a recordex, bravo, or Microboards machine.

While being able to print 2 discs without reloading seems (and is) useless for some folks, it would be very desirable to others: The event videographer market, for example, would gobble up a double disc solution that was reasonably priced. That industry has to print handfuls discs for their income, but they rarely do a large enough run of discs to justify the expenditure of an automated solution. Hand feeding 20 discs is time consuming - having to only visit the printer 10 times would be a money saver for them.

With that in mind, we looked into developing a 2 disc tray for the R220 for resale, but eventually shelved the idea. Here are the barriers we came up against:

1. The mold for the plastic would have been extremely expensive. We most likely would have had to have had a tray laser cut from polycarbonate.
  2. The software development: The printer driver would have had to have been modified to understand that there are either 1 or two discs present and where they are. The feed cycle would also have to have been modified.
  3. shortcomings of the printer: We hear about feed malfunctions all the time from clients using the Epson, and a bigger tray would only make matters worse. The Epson rollers are designed primarily to handle flexible paper, not plastic trays. Longer trays = bigger problems.
  4. Finally, the newer epsons have short trays that don’t run out of the back of the printer so the window of opportunity is gone.

I think we think alike (would any of us tolerate a paper printer that only held one sheet?), but I think getting the Epson to do more than one disc would be an expensive challenge.

[QUOTE=DenverDisc;2196684]A company called Verity Systems offered a 6 full sized disc printing solution but discontinued it a few years back. It was a wide format Epson printer with a steel tray (probably too expensive to mold the plastic for such a limited audience), and only did discs - the paper option was sacrificed. It was aimed at the professional production market and I believe was somewhere around $1,200, or around the same price of an entry level automated disc printer such as a recordex, bravo, or Microboards machine[/QUOTE]

Yup, that was the Da Vinci Pro 6 - based on the Epson 1200 print engine, and the unit itself was actually manufactured by Copytrax, but Verity Systems marketed it in the UK and USA :wink:

Expensive to make and sell, plus the aluminium plate caddy holding the six discs was prone to getting bent - and was expensive due to it being laser cut.

For what the Epsons cost, you’re better off buying two and running them side by side :iagree:

[QUOTE=minicab;2227074]
For what the Epsons cost, you’re better off buying two and running them side by side :iagree:[/QUOTE]

For $1200, you could buy a lot more than 2. :iagree: