Printing DVD Labels

I’ve bought a load of DVD labels from a shop, but I have no idea how to line up the images on my PC so as to make them actually print in to the circular sticker where the DVD is. Is there some program I can use or an industry standard where the stickers are? The sheets are A4 and have 2 DVD stickers on them each, with a bunch of what appear to be very thin labels above (VHS?) and one big one, on each side.

Is there a way to find out where exactly I print, without wasting a bunch trying to get the measurements? And which programs will be accurate enough? Apologies if this should go in the newbie forum but this forum seemed more appropriate.

Waaaaaaaaaaay back when I used to think it was safe to use the sticky labels on my CD’s
I used a program called “SureThing CD Labeler” on my CD’s. I wouldn’t even think of using a
sticky label on DVD’s, CD’s now days after I learned the HARD WAY :a of what can happen
to your data on the disc. I had quite a few discs go bad from using the sticky labels that
couldn’t be read anymore after a few months to a year later.:sad: I was able to salvage
maybe 10 out of 100 discs after soaking the discs and peeling off the labels so that is a 90%
loss of data. :doh: My best advice that I can give you is to throw away, sell, give, burn, those
sticky labels before you have to go through a lot of grief when your DVD’s won’t play anymore
and you loose all of your data or movies or whatever you put on them and get yourself some
inkjet printable DVD’s/CD’s and a cheap DVD/CD compatible printer like a Epson, HP, or depending
on what country you live in a Cannon printer. :wink:

this is lima520. my first post. i also have had trouble using those sticky cd labels. so far i’ve done about 50. but all of these were longhand. i have heard horrible reports on the sticky labels. you can buy the maker and labers at staples, but it’s going to cost. good luck.

[QUOTE=lima520;1961315]this is lima520. my first post. i also have had trouble using those sticky cd labels. so far i’ve done about 50. but all of these were longhand. i have heard horrible reports on the sticky labels. you can buy the maker and labers at staples, but it’s going to cost. good luck.[/QUOTE]. i only wish there was some post(s) on how to do this without buying expensive equipment. but, as with computers, this is a never ending problem.::

[QUOTE=Wyvern;1961274]I’ve bought a load of DVD labels from a shop, but I have no idea how to line up the images on my PC so as to make them actually print in to the circular sticker where the DVD is. Is there some program I can use or an industry standard where the stickers are? The sheets are A4 and have 2 DVD stickers on them each, with a bunch of what appear to be very thin labels above (VHS?) and one big one, on each side.

Is there a way to find out where exactly I print, without wasting a bunch trying to get the measurements? And which programs will be accurate enough? Apologies if this should go in the newbie forum but this forum seemed more appropriate.

Very few people around here will recommend using sticky labels on DVDs. Read this thread before proceeding.

You need software that supports printing to label templates. The sheets you have will be identified with a brand and template number, and hopefully will be listed in the software’s layout, or at least something close to them. There will also be some adjustment for centering the labels. Surething is about the best option for software, but you may already have Nero or something else with some label-printing capability.

That said, I’ll also recommend that you not do this. If you really want nice-looking labels, invest in an inkjet printer that supports direct disc printing, and some good quality printable media. In the long run, if you print a lot of discs, it may even be cheaper than the sticky labels.

Check this scan of my bro’s backup with a sticker label:

Unrippable! My bro insists sticker labels don’t hurt. His are off center on most of them.He’ll find out in a year or 2.

i only wish there was some post(s) on how to do this without buying expensive equipment. but, as with computers, this is a never ending problem.::

I have no actual clue as how much paper sticker labels cost. I have seen some glossy’s going for 50 cents each,then the price you have on the dvd media. I purchased Ty watershields-glossy-for 65 cents each.By far,the best looking covers I’ve seen,even better than the originals.
Then you got the cost of the ink,which can be very costly on a lot of printers… If you can get a hold of an older epson Stylus Photo:R200/R-220/R-300 and R-340- You can print on inkjet printable media.The bonus is the very cheap ink for these models of epsons. My last batch cost under $80 for 8 sets. 9 months ago,they were under $60 for the 8 sets. They also have continuous ink systems for the people who do some major printing. The money saved in ink will cover the price of the printer in no time. I’ve seen B&M stores like staple’s clear out those models for as little as $50

They are also very high quality photo printers and very durable.

Check out the prices for those epson printers at Ebay. The NIB R-200/R-220 are fetching $140 + S&H. That’s over 3x more than I paid for my dad’s R-200 at a Staple’s clearance. Used ones will cost half that,and the junk ones that don’t work will fetch $40