Printind DVD labels with ip-4500

vbimport

i was printing labels like I usually do and they started coming out with bar smudge lunes on them as if rollers were touching the disc in the printing process. I tried clearing the problem up by running the necessary test such as head calibration, and others. If anyone has had this problem before can someone help me out

I’ve looked around the forums and only found a few that were related but none that have solved the problem.

I know that settings are important and calibrating your monitor as well. Does anyone have suggestions on how to calibrate the monitor or settings for the ip-4500?

Thanks

By the way, the photo goes to photoshop forst then to the dvd printing software that came with the printer. im not sure if this matters.

In a properly functioning Canon, there are no rollers than contact the disc surface during or after printing. I suppose it’s possible that a disc surface that cannot handle the ink density could produce such an effect, but I don’t know how. A very dirty head might do it also, but those marks would be horizontal, not vertical like roller marks would be. Running the “bottom plate cleaning” routine would clean the head surface.

I’ll try that and get back to you. Thank you.

I tried that and it still comes up with vertical smudge lines. At this point I’m really lost at what to do.

Another thing to add is that my pgi blk cartridge is low and my other blk cartridge hasn’t been used at all. I thought pgi was for documents?

Does anyone know how to calibrate the monitor?

[QUOTE=rocksnboarder;2083451]I tried that and it still comes up with vertical smudge lines. At this point I’m really lost at what to do.

Another thing to add is that my pgi blk cartridge is low and my other blk cartridge hasn’t been used at all. I thought pgi was for documents?

Does anyone know how to calibrate the monitor?[/QUOTE]

CLI-8-black is dye based ink, for photos. PGI-5 black is pigment based, for documents. If you have the driver set for disc printing, duplex or photo paper, it will use the CLI-8 black and a mix of colors depending on the color profile and specific image. PGI-5 will only be used on plain paper settings for the most part.

Your monitor calibration has nothing to do with streaks on your discs, but if you want more info just Google monitor calibration and color profiles.

[B]It would be immensely helpful if you would post an image of the streak problem you have.[/B]

Your printer prints the label from top to bottom, with the top exiting the printer first. The print head moves in left-right motions. Streaks running from top to bottom would be caused by something contacting the disc in the tray-handling mechanism. When you open the tray door before inserting the tray, it spreads the exit rollers so the disc does not contact anything. Only the tray comes in contact with the machinery.

I’ll put an image ASAP.

Are you referring to the faint vertical bands that are seen at the bottom of the disc?

They don’t really line up with any of the rollers in the printer. Assuming the disc was printed with the same orientation as the photo, I don’t know what might be causing this but I’d try some different media.

Also run a nozzle check test.

I’ll run the nozzle check and yes I am reffering to the faint lines. I won’t change the media cause they are TY watershields. I love the TY’s even if they give me that result. I guess i’ll try to work with my printer as much as i can.

There aren’t any surfaces in the printer that could cause that. IF the label was printed sideways, clogged nozzles could do it. The other possibilities are that the discs are that way before you print them, or that some other process is doing it after printing. Make sure you’re using high quality print settings vs normal quality settings, and please confirm that the label is being printed in the same orientation that is shown in the image.

There was another thread on here about the lines showing up on the glossy surface of a
TY disc after it was printed but it was an Epson printer instead of a Cannon printer. I also
had lines show up on some Optical Quantum water proof/water resistant discs that were
Mfg. by TY on my Epson R220 printer also.

Ah yes found the thread here it is
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f123/problem-glossy-cdr-243614/

Yup, Watershield discs are very soft right after printing, and easily scuffed. But there’s nothing in the IP4500 that would be able to make [I]vertical[/I] marks like that.

Genuine Canon inks ?
Has the printer been in service for some time and printing well ?
Does the same anomaly appear when printing the image on paper ?
Results of the nozzle check ?

Couple things to try…

You could try cleaning out the old driver and reinstalling a new one from Canon’s website, not the CD. Run the checks in Maintenance and then retry.

Try a different software routine, such as Acoustica exclusively. There is a free trial period available.

Don’t bother with this if the unit is under warranty…
The problem could be electronic with that sort of banding. The first thing to try here is to clean the contacts between the printhead and printhead carriage. Use a low-lint fabric such as a piece of a new coffee filter moistened with 90%+ Isopropyl alcohol (with no perfume).
Don’t flood, just moisten and proceed lightly and carefully.
Skin oils, etc. are a detriment to electrical contacts, never touch these directly.

Let the pieces DRY COMPLETELY before re-connecting and testing.

Reminder…
Do not take the cartridges out of the printhead for more than the few seconds it takes to change out a cartridge.
Leaving the carts out for extended periods will dry out the printhead.
Leave the carts in place for the above exercise.

Whether it’s a new printhead or a complete unit, I have seen Canon Support take full ownership of these issues if the printer is still under warranty.

They are genuine inks, I bought the printer a month ago so it might be under warranty still and I guess ill try that procedure and see what happens. Nothing changed when I ran every test in my printer tests or when I set the quality to high.

[QUOTE=rocksnboarder;2090701]They are genuine inks, I bought the printer a month ago so it might be under warranty still and I guess ill try that procedure and see what happens. Nothing changed when I ran every test in my printer tests or when I set the quality to high.[/QUOTE]
If it’s still under warranty I would be inclined to return it.

[QUOTE=rocksnboarder;2090701]They are genuine inks, I bought the printer a month ago so it might be under warranty still and I guess ill try that procedure and see what happens. Nothing changed when I ran every test in my printer tests or when I set the quality to high.[/QUOTE]

You still haven’t answered the question of whether these bands are vertical or horizontal. If they are vertical, there’s nothing wrong with the printer and you should look to the media or some other cause. If they are horizontal, then some issue with the print head or driver settings could be possible. Even then, the bands on your photo do not appear to be the result of any head issue that I’m familiar with. It’s also possible that the bands are present in the image itself. One way to diagnose the issue would be to try different media, like Verbatim Glossy, and see if it’s still there.