Printers for printable dvd - which ones include tray

I’ve been doing the light scribe thing … but the 30 minute burn time is getting old… I want to buy a printer to print DVD labels on printable dvd’s and I’ve been reading lots of posts comparing them and extolling their virtues.

I have also read several talking about having to buy a separate CD tray and go thru 5 steps to make it work.

Does this apply to all of them ? Are there printer models that don’t require this? Which ones?

I already have a high end all in one so all I really need this printer for is DVD printing. I’d like to stay away from HP and Brother.

Any recommendations or bargain price links would be most grateful.

Also as an afterthought I have seen some posts mentioning templates … I have Movie Collector, a database for movies I use to export to My Little Movie Jukebox on the Popcorn Hour … It has some printable templates … anyone have experience using those with direct print on DVD?

Thanks for your time …

[QUOTE=toddlorensinclair;2196079]I’ve been doing the light scribe thing … but the 30 minute burn time is getting old… I want to buy a printer to print DVD labels on printable dvd’s and I’ve been reading lots of posts comparing them and extolling their virtues.

I have also read several talking about having to buy a separate CD tray and go thru 5 steps to make it work.

Does this apply to all of them ? Are there printer models that don’t require this? Which ones?

I already have a high end all in one so all I really need this printer for is DVD printing. I’d like to stay away from HP and Brother.

Any recommendations or bargain price links would be most grateful.

Also as an afterthought I have seen some posts mentioning templates … I have Movie Collector, a database for movies I use to export to My Little Movie Jukebox on the Popcorn Hour … It has some printable templates … anyone have experience using those with direct print on DVD?

Thanks for your time …[/QUOTE]
What’s your location? If NOT in the USA then you can probably buy any disc printer and the tray will be included. Some people like Canons and some like Epsons so you’ll get help on prices when we know your location.

You can use a template/image off the net or you can scan your disc and print it that way. Just make sure it fits on the template like it should.

How come no one mentions the HPs that can print to dvds/cds?

I just found out there are some models that offer that feature…

[QUOTE=cdetep;2196215]How come no one mentions the HPs that can print to dvds/cds?

I just found out there are some models that offer that feature…[/QUOTE]The thread starter said no HP’s or Brothers.

[QUOTE=Bob;2196220]The thread starter said no HP’s or Brothers.[/QUOTE]
True. But, I was skimming over the related topics and people asked for recommendations or comments about the printers that print to disc but HP is never mentioned as an option.

I was just curious . I do realize that HP is only recently manufacturing that feature into a couple of their printers.

I don’t mean to hijack the thread from the OP so I apologize if it is somewhat off topic.

I think the answer he is looking for is the Canon R200 series mostly Photo Stylus R280 and Canon IP4200, IP4300, IP4500 and IP4600 but for most of those, you need to order the tray off ebay (for e.g.). The tray is included in the Epsons. I did find a Canon IP4600 that includes the tray, however.

I wanted opinions and comparisons between the IP4600 and HPs that have a CD tray and disc printing. Can I ask here or should I start a new thread?

[QUOTE=Bob;2196084]What’s your location? If NOT in the USA then you can probably buy any disc printer and the tray will be included. Some people like Canons and some like Epsons so you’ll get help on prices when we know your location.

You can use a template/image off the net or you can scan your disc and print it that way. Just make sure it fits on the template like it should.[/QUOTE]

I am on east coast in US.

[QUOTE=Bob;2196084]What’s your location? If NOT in the USA then you can probably buy any disc printer and the tray will be included. Some people like Canons and some like Epsons so you’ll get help on prices when we know your location.

You can use a template/image off the net or you can scan your disc and print it that way. Just make sure it fits on the template like it should.[/QUOTE]

I knew I could use a scan … I hoping for a specific preferred place on the web for templates … yes I can search but surely someone here knows the “best” place?

[QUOTE=cdetep;2196227]True. But, I was skimming over the related topics and people asked for recommendations or comments about the printers that print to disc but HP is never mentioned as an option.

I was just curious . I do realize that HP is only recently manufacturing that feature into a couple of their printers.

I don’t mean to hijack the thread from the OP so I apologize if it is somewhat off topic.

I think the answer he is looking for is the Canon R200 series mostly Photo Stylus R280 and Canon IP4200, IP4300, IP4500 and IP4600 but for most of those, you need to order the tray off ebay (for e.g.). The tray is included in the Epsons. I did find a Canon IP4600 that includes the tray, however.

I wanted opinions and comparisons between the IP4600 and HPs that have a CD tray and disc printing. Can I ask here or should I start a new thread?[/QUOTE]

I left out Brother and HP because I’ve had some bad experiences with both … I did in my searches come across several HP printers that print DVD’s but several didn’t have Vista drivers …

HP Photosmart D5460 Inkjet Printer works with vista … about $70 at http://www.bhphotovideo.com

The HP PHOTOSMART D5160 PRINTER can be had for $55 refurb at http://www.tristatecamera.com

A sample of what that print template looks like is:

[QUOTE=toddlorensinclair;2196244]I left out Brother and HP because I’ve had some bad experiences with both … I did in my searches come across several HP printers that print DVD’s but several didn’t have Vista drivers …

HP Photosmart D5460 Inkjet Printer works with vista … about $70 at http://www.bhphotovideo.com

The HP PHOTOSMART D5160 PRINTER can be had for $55 refurb at http://www.tristatecamera.com[/QUOTE]

What was your experiences with HP?

They are my number one choice unless there is a problem with them. I hold them #1 because I dual boot with Windows and Linux. HP has the best printing support in Linux so far.

However, it is likely that whatever CD printing software is out there, it is only going to be Windows (or Mac, but also unlikely). Or I should say more accurately, that the printer’s CD-printing features will be Windows only but I’m only guessing.

The printer I will get will be used 99% for CD/DVD printing so I am not favourable to any brand in this case. I’ll probably have to be in Windows or use Windows for the CD printing part. I was just curious why you’re down on HP.

I think a lot of it has to do with the Windows software the printer manufacturer has but also the design of the printer?

I looked at some inkjet printers in a Staples today. They had most of the ones we’re talking about:

Canon IP4600
Epson Stylus Photo R280
HP Photosmart D5460
HP Photosmart C5580

I thought that was good to finally have choices even though the prices aren’t the best. The Canon even had the tray included which was a surprise.

I use the Epson R260 and just purchased a R280
I also use the software that comes with it to print to disc with

To get covers I go to Cdcovers :
http://www.cdcovers.cc/

I lknow it says CD but they have the biggest collection of DVD artwork that I have seen.

Hope this helps