Printer recommendation?

vbimport

I am looking for a all in one printer that will print directly on cd/dvd and scan 35mm slides. I know that the Epson rx 700 will do these things, BUT it appears to no longer be in production. Any suggestions of a high quality photo all in one that will do both? Thanks!

I’ll transfer this to the ‘CD & DVD Printing & Labelling’ section, where you’ll probably get better help…

It’s pretty necessary for you to state where you are at.

sorry, I am located in the USA. zipcode 24251

You have 2 choices at present in the USA, unless you want to mod a Canon printer for disc printing (not a big deal). Those are Epson and HP. Personally, I would get a Canon IP4300 and mod it for disc printing. Neither of the others will come with particularly useful disc printing software, but the Canon does.

hi CDan, how does the cannon ip4300 scan the 35mm slides?? i have an ip3000 and I am looking to upgrade… I have all intentions of staying with cannon… thanks for the info…
cheers

What does the modification to print on CDs involve? What extras to do need and what is the procedure to set everything up?

Suggest you google for instructions. Basically you need to buy the correct disc tray for your printer model, you’ll find them at Ebay. Then there’s a little firmware hack for the printer itself and you just download and install the printing software. Perhaps you’d also find more information in this forum.

hi CDan, how does the cannon ip4300 scan the 35mm slides?? i have an ip3000 and I am looking to upgrade… I have all intentions of staying with cannon… thanks for the info…

The IP4300 is a printer, not a scanner. IF you want a multifunction, I’d suggest the MP600 or 830, but I have no knowledge of their slide scanning abilities.

I did a quick search and found THIS page for modding a IP4300.

Is there a specific reason that the 4300 does not print CDs by default in the US but does in Europe? Here it comes with the extra tray and software for that out of the box.

I think I read that it’s an issue with patents held by Epson

It’s about $$$$, and Canon’s unwillingness to pay Epson for the license in the USA. Scuttle is that this is about to change with the new Canon models, but nobody really knows. HP seems to have taken the plunge, I don’t see how Canon can refuse to do the same.

ok i understand, but i guess they could just include the extra cost for the patent in the final product price. Anyways thanx for the info guys :slight_smile:

As far as I know there´s nothing that combines all the functions you are looking for…and if there was it could be pricey anyway.

I´d really suggest two units…
[U]A good scanner[/U], and there are a enough available that can do slides. I use the Canon 4200F and I´m completely satisfied with it.
[U]A good printer[/U]. I´m in Europe and that means my Canon iP5000 can do the job(and pretty well). Many would suggest going with the Epson if you are in the US. Epsons general printing quality is supposed to be back up to the level of the Canons too.

So there´s really no problem…get the gear and get to work!