Printer prob

I have been trying to install an Epson Workforce 320 I picked up at a flea market, installation went fine, but computer will not recognize the printer the printer, error, Usb device not recognized.
Tried another computer , same thing. Any way to check it out further or is the printer no good?

The quick startup instructions from Epson say to install the drivers and software before connecting the printer to the computer.

If you don’t have a cd with the printer with compatible drivers and software for your operating system, you need to download them from here: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=157804&infoType=Overview

To me, it sounds like either a bad cable or a faulty board on the printer. I’ve seen this message before when my Dad’s Garmin (satnav) decided to brick itself, as it would display this message when plugged into a USB port without looking for a driver. It’s different from the USB driver failure message where it first brings up a ‘Found new hardware’ message.

I have seen a similar issue a neighbour’s multifunctional printer (I think also an Epson.) The owner said it worked fine up until after a night with a nearby thunderstorm. That printer continued to work fine as a standalone photocopier, but its USB board likely got hit by a surge from the thunderstorm.

First I would suggest checking if the unit itself is working, i.e. try photocopying something. If it can’t do that, then the printer itself is likely dead. If it copies fine, then I suggest trying a different USB cable. Try different USB ports also, such as a USB3 port or with a hub. For example, my USB Wi-Fi adapter will only work on my PC’s USB3 port (on a USB3 PCIe card) even though it’s a USB2 device, however, the USB2 ports work fine with other devices.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2732625]I have been trying to install an Epson Workforce 320 I picked up at a flea market, installation went fine, but computer will not recognize the printer the printer, error, Usb device not recognized.
Tried another computer , same thing. Any way to check it out further or is the printer no good?[/QUOTE]

I have an Epson 320, IF? you are using win 7, forget it, it will not work, Epson did not update drivers to 7 for that printer

Marty

Marty, take a look at the link I put in my first post. It has drivers for Windows XP through Windows 8.1.

Thanks Kerry Just did it, will try it out in the AM, it is nite nite time

Marty

[QUOTE=thor21344;2732632]I have an Epson 320, IF? you are using win 7, forget it, it will not work, Epson did not update drivers to 7 for that printer

Marty[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I am using Win 8.1

Guess I need to look more closely to my printers, I have the “Epson Stylus Photo 320”. It never occurred to me that the same number 320 would be used on two different printers