Printable CD-R Questions, Please Help Me Out

I just got some questions about printable cd-r’s, various questions on this subject.

1. Which is better, white or silver? What are the differences between white and silver printable cd-r media(besides color of course)? And also, what’s the difference between thermal printable cd-r media, and regular (white/silver)printable cd-r media?

2. Should I burn the cd-r 1st and then print, or should I print and then burn? What’s are the recomended steps?

Help from experienced burners are very much appreciated, thank you for your time, take it easy! :wink:

Difference btween white and silver is cosmetic only.
Inkjet printable is for inkjet printers, thermal printable is for thermal printers. Doesn’t matter if you burn first or last, but I wouldn’t waste ink untill I knew the disc was good. :wink:

I got a couple of off the topic questions, I heard slim cases were bad for cd’s, compared to regular jewel cases, true? I also heard that cd’s are known to crack easier in the middle, because of the way slim cases are made? Any validity to this? Has anyone had slim cases for awhile and not had problems thus far? Thank you for your help! :wink:

I don’t slim is any worse than jewel. Some jewels have those vice-grip spindes that can cause you to crack a disc trying to get it out of the case.

Just bought myself a nice shiny new Canon i865 printer and it also prints directly to discs (wasn’t that a stroke of luck, I thought :bigsmile: ).

Anyhow, Canon recommend burning the disc first as they suggest the printing “may” affect the burning ?!? More likely, I would think, is the possibility that any heat generated during burning could affect the ink if printed first.

I’ve only burnt a few DVD’s so far, using Princo grade a’s and Ritek G04’s, both white coated. The Princo coating is all the way to the centre hole, which looks better when printed, whereas the Ritek have quite a large clear area around the hole. However, the Ritek coating is smoother and I think the printing looks better on these discs.

The finished article doesn’t look quite the same as the original (tends to have a matt finish compared to the slightly glossy look of the originals), but, man, it’s impressive!:smiley: :smiley:

Much nicer than the scrawl that passes for my writing.

Thanks for your information dik. I really appreciate it, hope you have many successful prints and burns with your Canon! Take it easy brother. :cool:

Originally posted by dik
[B]The finished article doesn’t look quite the same as the original (tends to have a matt finish compared to the slightly glossy look of the originals), but, man, it’s impressive!:smiley: :smiley:

Much nicer than the scrawl that passes for my writing. [/B]

You can buy a spray on Satin or Gloss finish for printable CDs.

where can i get this spray finish, been looking for that type of thing for ages

If you go to www.bigpockets.co.uk you will find a silver hologram printable they dont look much but when they have been printed on …all I can say is WOW far better then anything I ever expected. These are DVD’s I am sure if you called them they may be able to help you with cdr also.

You can get the spray finish from: