Princo Budget 2X-48X Smartburn=16X?

Picked up 2 50pc spindles of these. Wondering if I should return one though. My liteon 40125S ZSON reports it can only do a max of 16X with smartburn on.

Manufacturer : Taiyo Yuden
Code : 97m24s01f
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 1: Long Strategy (Cyanine, AZO)
Recording Speed : n/a
Capacity : 79:59.74
703 MB
Additional Capacity : n/a
Overburn Capacity : 82:10.48 (722 MB)

Everyone else seems to report that they can do 40X even with smartburn turned on. What is really strange is that these are TY and limited at 16X when they are certified for 48X?

Someone mentioned that there could possibly be counterfits circulating. When I tried burning with SB off at 40X I got a few errors and damaged sectors. At 16X its seems to be fine so far. Anyone think this is strange? Should I refund them?

I thought Princo manufactured there own CD-Rs.

I have some Princo 2x-48x

The ATIP is as follows:

Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
        ATIP Lead-in = 97m 27s 28f
   Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)

Disc Manufacturer maybe = Princo
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 40X

They make their own discs, but you prefer Taiyo Yuden, believe me…BTW Princo 2x DVD-R media is made by TDK.

Taiyo Yuden is a good manufacturer. Then how come the SmartBurn limit is 16x & my Princo manufactured have a Smart Burn limit of 40x.

Maybe Princo bought some old Taiyo Yuden 16x and wrote “48x” on them.

alexnoe must be right.

Have some old Mitsui CD-Rs which are of good quality but they have a SmartBurn limit of 16x only.

I have a very old Mitsui 2x disc from 1997, which was bundled with a HP 2x/2x/6x writer.
SmartBurn says 16x for that one, but the C1 error rate WSES shows is so low that even Taiyo Yuden is crap, compared to this disc.

So, OLD is GOLD !!! :bigsmile: :slight_smile: :smiley: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :cool: