Princeton University Researchers Produce Powerful Ad-Blocker

A new type of ad-blocker has surfaced, designed by a team of researchers from Princeton and Stanford universities. This is a unique solution that is very effective and passed tests on fifty sites that attempt to stop ad blockers, and managed to defeat Facebook ads that were previously immune to ad blocking techniques.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.myce.com/news/princeton-university-researchers-produce-powerful-ad-blocker-81863/

A simple hosts edit - I modified one that does more then detect it, it stops it.

[quote]which will work on Chrome to detect ads[/quote]This makes it useless when mine works on FF, IE, Edge, Chrome already. There needs to be no proof of concept when one works already.

[quote]Arvind Narayanan, said “To avoid taking sides on the ethics of ad-blocking, we have deliberately stopped short of making our proof-of-concept tool fully functional[/quote]A whole lot of BS. With the hosts edit I modified that works already. I think this is more of a ploy from advertisers to avoid the Read problem. They give out cr*p and cause problems with their ads.

Sorry dude, but if you think a HOSTS file edit is comparable, you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Unless you’d also like you share this “magic” you’ve done to your HOSTS file that no one has already tried?

Looks like another newbie that spouts before they talk. If by this time you haven’t seen it then nothing I say from here out will help you.

IMHO, Just identifying ads *after* they are loaded isn’t enough. A good ad blocker should be able to prevent ads from loading in the first place. Doing so saves bandwidth, lowers CPU consumption, lowers RAM consumption, and protects the privacy of the user.