Primer on how to make movie clips?

vbimport

I want to cut clips from a DVD for a project I’m working on. How do I do this?

In reviewing (online) how to do this, I have managed to download several DVD rippers.

First, I tried HandBrake based on a recommendation. I selected chapters 1-3 and what resulted was video footage that looked like it had been shredded with audio that sounded like galvanized nails scraped across chalkboard.

I next tried DVDFab. The first result was a nice 2-chapter clip with no audio. Next I ended up with a 2-chapter rip/convert (?) into mpeg-4 that played reasonably well but had a nasty, large watermark throughout most of the sequence. I tried converting in other file types (avi) and that got me a file that wouldn’t play on anything.

I next tried AOA DVD Ripper. I really liked the interface - it allowed me to actually “clip” the scene I wanted. Sort of. When the compiling was done, I was notified that audio was not in a format compatible to the software. What?! And, once again - I had a file that had video footage not quite set to the parameters I set and no audio.

I searched the internet some more and found that Sony Vegas came highly recommended. So, I gave that a try. Can I just say that at this point I have way too many ripping/converting programs on my desktop and equally too many VOB files in ridiculous file trees from what amounts to less than 4min of film?! I’m about to throw in the towel. Sony Vegas looks to be an amazing editor…but how to manuever/navigate the interface is way beyond me. I managed to import a few VOB files - nothing of what I needed and in the end had a nice recording of my 3yr old’s voice via my laptop mic. I have no idea how to use Sony Vegas.

So…before I download yet another DVD-Ripping program, can someone please help me out? I just want to clip short segments from films I own for the purposes of private use & education that I can either show from my computer or embed into PowerPoint.

Please? Someone?

Since you have DVDFab use it to rip you DVD’s to your hard drive.
If they are homemade DVD’s you won’t need to even use DVDFab.
Then use DVDShrink . There are many tutorials on using DVDShrink.
The basics are :
“Open Files”
“Re-author”
“Set Start/End Frames”
"Backup"
You will need to make some settings in Preferences & Backup.
Not too many & kind of self-explanatory.

Having read a few threads on here, it seems that DVDFab is sub-par. Do you still recommend I use it for this project?

I have heard more favorable reviews about HandBrake but cannot seem to get a working rip. I am sure it is user-error. Any suggestions/tips on what I may be doing wrong? Am I missing an online tutorial somewhere? I read through an FAQ from the developers but it was not as helpful as I would like.

I have heard of ShrinkDVD. I have not tried it, yet. My understanding was that if I was using ShrinkDVD, there would be no need for DVDFab. Am I in error?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums MProcun.

Lets get a few terms defined before we go any further. When we say rip, we mean transferring the data from an optical disc to the hard drive. If you are starting with commercially made dvds, then you need a ripping program that will also decrypt the movie before it can begin to rip to the hard drive. DVDFab can be used for this purpose, and it is actually the only purpose for which I would use it. DVDShrink has the ability to decrypt dvds that only have the simple CSS encryption. Anything newer will defeat it as a ripping program.

So, the first task is to put the entire dvd on the hard drive and work with it from there. This is a fundamental step that eliminates many problems. If the clips you want are from the main movie, and you don’t want any from previews, commentary or extras, you can rip just the main movie with DVDFab. And once you are done with all your work, you can delete the movie, so its not like its going to be taking up permanent space.

Ok, the next step is cutting out clips. Lets assume you want some sections from the main movie. There are three programs I use, or have used for this purpose. Sony Vegas is way overkill for this by the way. DVDShrink, as explained by cholla, is able to cut sections out for you in Reauthor mode, using the Start/End Frames tool. Each section, when saved will be a small dvd-video, which has advantages and disadvantages, depending on what you want to do with the clips.

A second tool for this is AviDemux. I rarely recommend using this tool for the mpeg2 found in dvd-video, since it has in the past often been guilty of losing sync between the audio and video. But the new version, 2.6 is better, and if you cut on I frames, it should be fine.

Neither Shrink nor AviDemux are frame-accurate cutters. If you need more precision, I would advise getting the fully functional trial of VideoReDo TV Suite. This program can cut anywhere in the time line, and will only re-encode around the cuts if necessary (smart rendering). This program is very easy to use, and can be used in Scene mode, where you set your cut marks and it saves the area between them. VideoRedo TV Suite will save as mpeg2 files, but it can also author these files to dvd-video for you.

Thank you! for the clarification. I appreciate it greatly.

I will download DVDShrink later this week and give it a whirl.

You are correct - these will all be commercially prepared DVDs from which I merely want a 1min or 3min sequence cut to force a perspective during a presentation. I will try DVDShrink and if I am not pleased, I will try the more accurate frame-by-frame cutting tool you recommended: VideoReDo TV Suite.

Again, I appreciate all the help. I am quite a novice when it comes to this (or whatever level is below novice - pond scum, perhaps).

[QUOTE=MProcun;2671950] DVDFab Do you still recommend I use it for this project? [/QUOTE]
You need it if you are copying a newer commercial DVD . Once you have the decrypted version on your hard drive you no longer need DVDFab.

[QUOTE=MProcun;2671950]
My understanding was that if I was using DVDShrink, there would be no need for DVDFab. Am I in error?
[/QUOTE]

As Kerry explained DVDShrink is older software no longer updated . It only removes older & much simpler encryption.

For what you are wanting to do it should be fine .
You can continually drag a title from the right window to the left .
Then clip it the way you want too . This will put all the clips in the same dvd folder & they can be burned to one DVD or played on the computer with a player like VLC. That way you don’t create several small single DVDs. One for each clip.

Thank you.

I am still learning…and I know I have far to go, yet.

I am hoping DVDShrink will work for want I want to do.

Please, if you’ll indulge…a few more questions.

I noticed several file types when HandBrake first decrypted the disk: VOB, BUP, and more (IFO?). I looked them up to see what they were, I probably don’t have a good working knowledge of these media types, but I’m learning.

My consternation is this. I know what chapter (from the original movie) I want to cut my clip from. Since the software interface is less than intuitive (for me), I am at a loss when it comes to conversion. Prism (NCH) has converted several files but I don’t know what I’m converting: VOB? Which VOB? TDS? I’m wondering if I’m choosing the wrong file type & if this is why the HandBrake conversion step yielded such a shredded, screeching unusable clip and, thus, also why DVDFab gave me a nice video sans auido clip. ?? There were no audio files in the folder tree; thinking I would have to somehow merge or splice the two together (nightmare on my part, which is why I ended up downloading Sony Vegas).

So…am I choosing the wrong source file type to convert into avi or mp4? Like I said, I am brand spanking new…so all those 20 some files (from 2 chapters decrypted) look completely foreign to me. I’m just wondering if I’m picking the wrong source file.

Thank you so much for your patience.

I suggest you start over and forget what happened in your first attempts.

DVD-video consists of .bup, .ifo and .vob files contained within a Video_TS folder. There is also an Audio_TS folder but it is empty. Bup and ifo files are navigation files. The actual audio and video and subtitle streams are mixed together in the .vob files. Dvd video is split at 1gb partitions, mostly to be compatible with dvd players. So a typical dvd-video will have four or five .vob files.

When you cut out sections of the dvd video, depending on which tool you use, you will get either a small dvd-video in output (using Shrink) or mpeg-2 files using one of the other tools already mentioned. Mpeg2 is the video codec used within dvd video, so this is not converting the video at all, simply moving it out of the specialized .vob container format and giving you the real mpeg2 that existed within that vob file.

Once they are separate from the original movie, you can convert them to another format if you wish. But you should have a good reason for doing so.
Are you using the files separately, or are you combining them with something else?

Thank you for the advice to start over and scrub my recent attempts. Yesterday was a long, frustrating, confusing day.

Yes, for the most part, my plan is to use each clip separately (if that is what you mean by files).

I can, however, think of one or two instances where I may want to cut a few clips from separate DVDs and combine them into one seamless new “movie.” I was hoping I could use something simple like…Windows Movie Maker to do that. Yes/No?

I can’t say about WMM . I’ve only used it a little.

I think the “seamless” part is where you are going to have problems .
It depends on you definition of seamless.
Even if you used a high end program two “scenes” that were not filmed together will show the change.
I suggest you try DVDShrink with just a test video.
Like the one I did above .Very short clips. This takes little time to process.
Then play it with a computer player. See if it is seamless enough for you.
I work with video files already written(ripped) to the hard drive.
With DVDShrink all you have to do to use a different movie is browse to its’ folder.
Then drag the title you want to the left & clip it.
I don’t remember trying this strait from a DVD disc but I think it would work on an unencrypted DVD or an old one.

Windows Movie Maker can probably handle the mpeg files as input. Vob files in dvd-video, I don’t know.

But WMM will convert to .wmv format when it combines everything. Hope you can use that format.

VideoRedo will be able to merge the clips into one movie, and not convert anything. It will output as mpeg2, but VideoReDo TV Suite can also author these clips into dvd-video if that is what you need.

Since I don’t know what format you want as a final result, its a bit hard to advise you on which tool to use.

That raises 2 excellent points.

First, the definition of seamless…in my mind, is using transitions between clips - probably black fade outs. One option I have been considering is embedding the clips into PowerPoint. Whether this makes my task easier…I am not yet sure.

Second, I have seen a lot mentioned about the encryption of old vs new DVDs. My question is: what is the definition of old or new? Is anything circa 2000 and forward considered new? 2006? 2010? What?

Wondering if I am going to have to re-think the films I have chosen to cut my clips from…

I probably don’t know what format I want as the end result. I’m sorry. I really AM that green.

I just want clips to show to my audience to intro my presentation each month as a lead-in to the discussion we’re about to have.

Whether I show those clips via Windows Media Player, QuickTime, PowerPoint…I don’t have a preference.

I just. want. the clips. LOL

This is probably why I am “shooting in the dark” here. I really do not know what I’m doing…trying to figure it out on my own and hoping “something” works…and plays.

:eek:

I wish I had a mac…but I’m guessing that as over my head all this is right now, I really wouldn’t be much better off. Right? Please say yes.

DVDShrink was last updated in July 2004. It was not too long after that date that the movie studios started putting in what are called structural protection schemes. Those protections have gotten more complex over time. DVDShrink cannot handle any of the more advanced protections, but even now, there are many commercial dvds that have nothing more than simple CSS on them, so Shrink works as well as ever on those. You’d just have to try to decrypt them and see what works. DVDFab is still updated, and the free section should work for anything except perhaps the very latest releases. But you’ll get a fully functional trial to start, so no worries on decryption.

If you need transitions, then you will need an editor with that capability, and Windows Movie Maker will work for this. VideoRedo is mainly intended for tv captures, and doesn’t include any transitions. VideoRedo’s main claim to fame is its ability to cut and splice mpeg2 with no video/audio sync issues.

I’m afraid I can’t help with PowerPoint, as I’ve never had a need to work with it.

With DVDShrink there is just a quick jump from one title(.vob) to the next.
Not any fade out . I don’t have PowerPoint so I don’t know if it could do transitions.

On whats old verses new there is little rhyme or reason.
It just depends on the company that makes the DVD.
DVDFab will show you what is used.
Even the free after trial will .
Myself I usually use AnyDVD but it only has a short trial then you have to buy it.
DVDFab remains free (with limitations) & will work as a decrypting ripper for DVDs.
Then you work with the ripped files.
Just select the green checkmark Info.
One note when using DVDFab free or trial . If you convert to formats other than DVD it watermarks the conversion.
Like Kerry posted if you see anything but CSS removed & maybe RC or RCE .
Then the DVD has newer encryption of some kind. The DVDFab Info will show you a lot.
For a player VLC or MPC-HC are probably the most universal .
WMP can be picky if you have trouble with it try opening the first or second .ifo file.

I don’t have a MAC but I understand software variety for a MAC is a lot more limited.

I really do appreciate all the help you two are providing.

So, here is the update thus far, using the instructions you have provided:

I used DVDFab to “copy” an entire movie. I was rather stuck between their “Copy” function and “Rip” function - but went with copy. ?? It seemed to indicate that if I chose “Rip” I would get conversion automatically and you indicated that I did NOT want DVDFab to convert files; only to rip.

I next used DVDShrink to cut the desired clip from my copied movie. The output I got was a VOB file - which I was not expecting. For some reason, I was expecting it to produce an mpeg4 but that is probably due to me being “green” and still very fuzzy.

I can see now, why I will, perhaps, need DVDReDo. I can think of some clips I have in mind that are not perfect chapter cuts - more like scenes or chapter and a half cuts. It doesn’t look like DVDShrink will allow for that. I’ll have to give that some thought.

I managed to play the VOB file that DVDShrink produced twice: once in Windows Movie Maker and once in Windows Media Player. It was much better (actually, no comparison) in Windows MP. Movie Maker seemed to have lower resolution and stutter on a few frames. Media Player was much clearer w/ a better resolution and played fluidly from start to finish. :clap:

So…now what? Do I need to convert the clip from VOB into mpeg or avi? Or is that just overkill?

Also, I actually ran the clip through DVDShrink twice. The first time I used DVD-5 and the second time I changed the setting to DVD-9. Is DVD-9 better?

But…the day is only half through AND…I have a usable clip. Yay!
Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

DVDShrink will never produce mpeg4. It only works with dvd-video, and the only video codec found in dvd-video is mpeg2.

Vob files are simply specialized containers for mpeg2 video, audio streams and subtitle streams.

Take a look at this guide for cutting clips with DVDShrink: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/296328-How-to-cut-out-clips-from-DVDs-and-convert-to-AVI-MP4-using-free-software
That also includes conversion to other formats, which you probably don’t need, but the first section shows step for step how to use the Start/End frames tool.

The output from DVDShrink should have been a complete dvd-video, with the vob, bup and ifo files in a Video_TS folder.

If you need an mpeg file instead of the vob file, it is possible to simply rename it. In other words, if it is VTS_01_1.VOB right now, you could name it something else with an .mpg extension and have it work ok. For example, copy the vob file and put it into another folder, then rename it to something like My Movie Clip 1.mpg.

[QUOTE=MProcun;2672063]I really do appreciate all the help you two are providing.

So, here is the update thus far, using the instructions you have provided:

I used DVDFab to “copy” an entire movie. I was rather stuck between their “Copy” function and “Rip” function - but went with copy. ?? It seemed to indicate that if I chose “Rip” I would get conversion automatically and you indicated that I did NOT want DVDFab to convert files; only to rip.

I next used DVDShrink to cut the desired clip from my copied movie. The output I got was a VOB file - which I was not expecting. For some reason, I was expecting it to produce an mpeg4 but that is probably due to me being “green” and still very fuzzy.

I can see now, why I will, perhaps, need DVDReDo. I can think of some clips I have in mind that are not perfect chapter cuts - more like scenes or chapter and a half cuts. It doesn’t look like DVDShrink will allow for that. I’ll have to give that some thought.

I managed to play the VOB file that DVDShrink produced twice: once in Windows Movie Maker and once in Windows Media Player. It was much better (actually, no comparison) in Windows MP. Movie Maker seemed to have lower resolution and stutter on a few frames. Media Player was much clearer w/ a better resolution and played fluidly from start to finish. :clap:

So…now what? Do I need to convert the clip from VOB into mpeg or avi? Or is that just overkill?

Also, I actually ran the clip through DVDShrink twice. The first time I used DVD-5 and the second time I changed the setting to DVD-9. Is DVD-9 better?

But…the day is only half through AND…I have a usable clip. Yay!
Thank you so much! :)[/QUOTE]

A VOB file is a Video Object file. It can contain several formats but as far as DVD-Video is concerned it’s nearly always MPEG2 Video.

So if you want to convert to MPEG just change the file extension to .mpg or .mpeg and try playing it as before.

The DVD-5s are single layer discs and DVD-9s are dual layer disc and therefore have a higher capacity.

If you’re copying a DVD-9 (dual layer disc) selecting the DVD-5 option will compress the video to fit a DVD-5 (single layer disc).

If you’re only producing clips then you’ll not be exceeding the DVD-5 size anyway so you won’t notice any difference.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=MProcun;2672063]
I used DVDFab to “copy” an entire movie. I was rather stuck between their “Copy” function and “Rip” function - but went with copy. ?? It seemed to indicate that if I chose “Rip” I would get conversion automatically and you indicated that I did NOT want DVDFab to convert files; only to rip. [/QUOTE]

The Copy function is correct for DVDFab.

[QUOTE=MProcun;2672063]
I can think of some clips I have in mind that are not perfect chapter cuts - more like scenes or chapter and a half cuts. It doesn’t look like DVDShrink will allow for that.
[/QUOTE]
With DVDShrink’s Start/End frames tool you should be able to cut any legnth clip from a movie . Chapters shouldn’t make any difference.

Awesome! And I’m learning so much.

I am very relieved to understand I can simply rename the file to get the mpeg format. I will need that if I’m going to embed it into PowerPoint. So, I’ll tuck that tidbit away for later.

I’ll have to play around more with DVD Shrink & get more comfortable with it, especially since (as you’re saying) it can cut any size clip from the movie. That, too, is good news. I will check out the link provided, thanks!

And…I’m glad to hear that DVD-5 vs DVD-9 is not relevant for what I’m doing.

So, my world is looking a lot brighter tonight than it was at this time last night. And that’s sayin’ something.

Thank you!

And, I apologize for all the elementary-level questions and resulting headaches.