Primary partition, extended partition, or logical drive?

vbimport

Hello,
I have just installed a new 320GB hard drive as an additional hard drive. I tried to partition it from Windows’ Disk Management.Then I got a bit confused because I was offered several formatting options
like Primary partition, extended partition,and logical drive. I divided the disk into three. The first and the second were formatted as Primary partitions, and the third was formatted as an extended partition.
In My Computer, all these drives are shown as ‘New Volumes’. I would like to know if this was the right thing I did, or if I made any mistakes. Should I do anything else? Do I need to reformat any of them? Please advise. Thanks.

Is there a reason you need three partitions? You can just use one (primary would be my choice) for the entire disk. You will need to format the partition/s.

I have to wonder as well I keep my drives big as they are single HDD drive so my 1TB is 931GB formatted. This to me is more useful as a single drive then multiple partitions. My main boot HDD is a single 160G HDD that only contains the O/S and programs not any of my data as that is kept on separate HDD that are themselves single large drives. Also what O/S are you using as well?

Well, there’s no special reason for wanting to have two or three drives other than the desire to be a little ‘organised’. When there are so many files on a single drive I thought it could be a little difficult - especially for children - to find what they want. That’s all.
By the way, my OS is WinXP SP3.
But to answer my other question - Is there anything WRONG with what I did? Do I need to change anything?

[QUOTE=Ayiramala;2505036]Well, there’s no special reason for wanting to have two or three drives other than the desire to be a little ‘organised’. When there are so many files on a single drive I thought it could be a little difficult - especially for children - to find what they want. That’s all.
By the way, my OS is WinXP SP3.
But to answer my other question - Is there anything WRONG with what I did? Do I need to change anything?[/QUOTE]

You just create folder or get smaller HDD to hold those files you don’t have to get a 500G or 1TB HDD. A simple 320G or 250G will suffice. Partition is good but you have to remember you loose storage space because of partition as well as you will need to know which partition drive the file is stored at. For my drives I create folders even though there many on there as long as the program your kids are using points to the right folder you shouldn’t have to set it again. But if you need to partition go ahead and partition it but make sure you set how big each partition is as well.

Thanks, everyone, for all your comments.

Hi Ayiramal,

I would like to answer your actual questions but I’m afraid I too get a little confused with the choice of primary vs extended partitions. I also prefer to partition my hard drive if it is large. I feel it helps me find things easier.

I usually just select primary partition for each and I’ve not had any trouble. If you create extended partition then I think you must also create logical partitions inside of it.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will come along and try to answer your questions.

RM

Doesn’t win xp have a limit of 120GB for a partition on a hard drive