Pressing or Burning DVD

vbimport

I want to buy equipment to backup DVD media.

Burning:
Pioneer have released the Pioneer DVD-r which costs roughly 5,000 dollars. The downside is that blank dvd media costs 14 dollars. Therefore its not worthwhile copying as it would cost almost as much to buy an original.

Conclusion: not worth buying burning equipment because cost of blank media is too expensive

Pressing DVD:
I imagine the cost of pressing equipment is much more expensive than burning hardware. But, the cost of blank DVD is much lower.

Conclusion: Cheap blank DVD disks, but harware probably too expensive

Anyone have any suggestions?

Regards
qwerty

Yes, i have a suggestion;

WAIT! Soon the price will get MUCH lower. Wait a copule of months until theres some competition on the market!

and also where the f**k did you find a DVD burner for 5000???
Here in sweden i costs about 900-1100 dollars.

I guess DVD Burners are much more expensive in England than Sweden.

The cost of the ‘Pioneer DVD-R 2r Ext SCSI’ here in England is 3,995 pounds or 5500 dollars.

This is only one of a few burners that has the capability of copying a DVD movie because it can burn 4.7gig disks (the size of movies), and the copies can be watched in almost any standalone DVD player.

DVD-RAM is much cheaper (500 pounds or 700 dollars), but its not the same thing. Maybe this is what you are thinking of. If not please let me know!

Don’t get any DVD burners yet. The standards are changing so fast that whatever you buy now might be worthless next year.

Originally posted by fallenang3l
Don’t get any DVD burners yet. The standards are changing so fast that whatever you buy now might be worthless next year.

You’re right!!
It’s better 2 wait a year or mayB even 2, untill there’s a good standard!! All drives are still in developement so many things can change! :wink: