Preparing a media submission

I am new here, and I joined because I wanted to add to the media database because you had some media which is not listed in the media database, like TDK-branded Prodisc crap that creates coasters whenever I try burning it at any speed above 8x in my Lenovo T61 laptop, whose drive is a Panasonic UJ-852. This drive uses a Z-CLV recording scheme. Whenever my drive changes spin speeds due to the Z-CLV recording scheme, the burn fails, forcing me to force the drive into a CLV mode by setting the speed to 8x or lower. This prevents coasters from being burnt with this crud.

First, am I supposed to submit a media when the media code does not match the one in the database? The TDK crap I have has a different media code, 97m32s19f than what is in this database for TDK 52x CD-Rs, 97m26s66f.

Second, am I supposed to write a neutral description of this media, and then vote it down once the media goes up, or do I slam the media in the description when submitting the media?

Third, what am I supposed to put in the media revision blank if there is no media revision field displayed in Nero CD-DVD Speed?

Fourth, can someone explain the media submission approval process, and how the administrators decide how they decide whether to approve or reject a submission?

I submitted neutral descriptions for the TDK-branded Prodisc junk and for a Panasonic DVD-RAM that I am extremely satisfied with whose media code differs with what the database had, and hope to vote it up once it comes up. It seems that the submissions have not been cleared with the administrators yet.

Thank you very much.

Moved to the Blank Media forum.

I assume it is more a problem of your hardware. Usually Prodisc media is quite ok.

[QUOTE=jnv11;2027325]
First, am I supposed to submit a media when the media code does not match the one in the database? The TDK crap I have has a different media code, 97m32s19f than what is in this database for TDK 52x CD-Rs, 97m26s66f.

Second, am I supposed to write a neutral description of this media, and then vote it down once the media goes up, or do I slam the media in the description when submitting the media?

Third, what am I supposed to put in the media revision blank if there is no media revision field displayed in Nero CD-DVD Speed?

Fourth, can someone explain the media submission approval process, and how the administrators decide how they decide whether to approve or reject a submission?

I submitted neutral descriptions for the TDK-branded Prodisc junk and for a Panasonic DVD-RAM that I am extremely satisfied with whose media code differs with what the database had, and hope to vote it up once it comes up. It seems that the submissions have not been cleared with the administrators yet.

Thank you very much.[/QUOTE]

OK, what I’ve done, is change the existing short description to reflect that Prodisc can also make them, and added to the MID field that MID will vary depending on manufacturer. I’ve approved your Panasonic DVD-RAM entry though - but I had to make several changes - media speed, type, size…as you entered them as BD-R 52x 8.5GB :slight_smile:

There have been numerous changes to the database software itself and what info we can enter, whether we can have multiple entries the same etc, and it’s continually evolving. When some of those entries were made, other MIDs weren’t known about, of the database software wasn’t tweaked to allow certain stuff at the time. :slight_smile:

As for you opinion on the media - you can post a reaction to the existing entry, making it clear it’s the Prodisc ones that don’t perform well for you.

Media revision doesn’t matter so much, but if software shows it, feel free to add it.

The media submissions all enter a queue, and they’re usually appoved if all the necessary info is included: Brand, speed, MID, type (CDR, BD-R, DVD-R etc)…if key info is missing which means we can’t identiy the media, then the submission is rejected. So it’s important to fill out as much info as you can :wink:

Currently there is only myself approving submissions (as well as working on the forum), so it may take a little time - but as I said, if the info is there, it will be approved. :wink:

Thankyou for your submissions BTW, we need you guys to submit stuff you don’t see there :flower:

Edit: I’ve also put in a request with our Front Page developers to see if we can enter multiple MIDs/ATIPs for one entry with multiple manufacturers (a la Videohelp).

More news: Erpenator (CDF Front page developer) has advised me that multiple MIDs/ATIPs for one entry can be seperated by a comma - just added your Prodisc ATIP and it works nicely :clap:

Arachne, could you fix the DVD-RAM entry to have it listed as a 3x speed DVD-RAM, or merge it with the other 3x speed DVD-RAM entry? I wrote 2-3x because that was the range of speeds that this media is certified to burn at, and when you fixed my entry, you chose 2x. I apparently omitted the fields that you fixed by accident. These must be newbie mistakes on my part. I submitted the media because its mediacode was different than what you had.

[QUOTE=jnv11;2028040]Arachne, could you fix the DVD-RAM entry to have it listed as a 3x speed DVD-RAM, or merge it with the other 3x speed DVD-RAM entry? I wrote 2-3x because that was the range of speeds that this media is certified to burn at, and when you fixed my entry, you chose 2x. I apparently omitted the fields that you fixed by accident. These must be newbie mistakes on my part. I submitted the media because its mediacode was different than what you had.[/QUOTE]

Hi, I couldn’t pick 3x as there is already a 3x Panasonic DVD-RAM entry in the database, and it won’t let me double up ;)…however, I added yours as 2x as (as you yourself have noticed) the MID is different to our existing 3x DVD-RAM entry.

Let me compare the 2 MIDs and I’ll see how best to fix it :slight_smile:

Edit: I’ve added the MID to our current entry for Panasonic 3x DVD-RAM (we also have the same MID for Verbatim 3x DVD-RAM, so that’s all bases covered), and deleted your submission - it’s the only way the database software would let me do it. :slight_smile:

Thank you very much.