Premium or Premium 2?

[qanda]This thread is about the Plextor Internal E-IDE CD-Rewriter. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello

I am looking to replace my aging PX-W124TS writer and can get both the Premium and Premium 2 here in the UK new for about £35 and £85.

My question is - is the Premium 2 better than the Premium and worth the extra money. Only to be used for burning audio CD’s.

Thanks

There is already a rather long discussion about this :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2442032]There is already a rather long discussion about this :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks I’ll give that thread a good read.

Before I begin, let me disclose that I actually own both drives, though currently I own a lot more original Premiums than Premium2s.

Reasons to get a Premium2:
You burn very few discs, but you expect those discs to experience plenty of abuse.
Silver bezels are available if money is no object.

Reasons not to get a Premium2:
You never buy any CD-Rs that are optimized for slow burnings.
You do a lot more ripping than burning.
They’re only available with a white bezel if you don’t throw a lot of extra money at them from the very beginning.

Reasons to get an original Premium:
Second-best burnings are acceptable if they are ten times faster.
Anyone who wants a black bezel can easily find one at little or no extra cost compared to a white bezel.

Thanks for the info.

[QUOTE=Glathannus;2442513]Before I begin, let me disclose that I actually own both drives, though currently I own a lot more original Premiums than Premium2s.

Reasons to get a Premium2:
You burn very few discs, but you expect those discs to experience plenty of abuse.
Silver bezels are available if money is no object.[/QUOTE]

I would only burn about 10 discs a week, silver is the only colour available from cheapest supplier - though I’m not too worried about colour

Reasons not to get a Premium2:
You never buy any CD-Rs that are optimized for slow burnings.
You do a lot more ripping than burning.
They’re only available with a white bezel if you don’t throw a lot of extra money at them from the very beginning.

I currently get excellent burns from my PX-W124 at 8X, I want a burner that can match or better it.

Reasons to get an original Premium:
Second-best burnings are acceptable if they are ten times faster.
Anyone who wants a black bezel can easily find one at little or no extra cost compared to a white bezel.

I would like to get the best quality burns I can, speed is not so important.

From reading the other thread I think I will probably give the Premium2 a try.

[QUOTE=Glathannus;2442513]
Anyone who wants a black bezel can easily find one at little or no extra cost compared to a white bezel.[/QUOTE]

Can you please tell me where I can find one CHEAP? (EU or Italy) :confused:

[QUOTE=mieto;2479084]Can you please tell me where I can find one CHEAP? (EU or Italy) :confused:[/QUOTE]

Ebay?

Just look for a defect drive or a working one. If you find a working one exchange the bezels and sell the drive you just bought with your old bezel.

[QUOTE=hwp;2479085]Ebay?

Just look for a defect drive or a working one. If you find a working one exchange the bezels and sell the drive you just bought with your old bezel.[/QUOTE]

The ones I usually see on Ebay are with the white bezel…
Now there’s one (functional) in black but from UK (only PayPal accepted)…

Besides I prefer not to have to buy a new drive and then sell mine just to have a black bezel… and maybe also losing money…:eek:

I’ looking for someone who sells only a black bezel… (or a black defective drive of course)

That’s why I wrote “exchange” the bezel. You keep your drive, of course. You sell the one you bought for the bezel.