PREMIUM Drive Users Unite

I’m not too happy with my Premium drive. It seems be be just o.k., instead of mind-blowing, low error, super-quality burns that everyone claims it to have.

Here are a few questions. ONLY people who own a Premium drive post here. Forget about what Plextor tells you to do on their website. I just want user feedback.

1.) What cd-r (NOT cd-rw because I don’t use it) media do you use?

2.) What burning program do you use that results in the best-quality burns? I seem to get lower error rates when I use Roxio 7, in comparison to PlexTools Pro…which confuses me because PlexTools is designed specifically for these drives! :frowning:

2.) Is there a general burn speed you use, that results in very low errors…even if it disregards the media’s reccommended burning speed?

Any other random tips would be of great help. Thanks guys.

I always use Nero for data and Feurio for audio. I never use Plextools anymore (banned it from startup folder) because I had crackling audio CD’s using it.
I use Verbatim (MCC only), and Taiyo Yuden 52x. Data I am burning at rated speed, audio at 4x (call me a nut, I CAN hear the difference).

Like surg, I use Nero and Feurio as well as Plextools v2.14 for burning. I get great results using all 3 of those burning apps, as well as most others. Burning software doesn’t seem to make as much of a difference as does media. I have done extensive media testing with the Premium and have found it to give the best results with Verbatim and TY. I no longe use any other CD media other than Verbatim (Metal Azo at 4x for audio) and TY for audio and everything else.

The TY media seems to burn best (lowest C1) at 32x but burns very well at just about any speed. Plextools scan <1 avg C1 @ 32x burn.

The MCC Metal Azos are specifically for 16x or lower. (I don’t use the Super Azo dye.) I burn them at 4x for audio. Plextools scan <1 avg C1 @ 4x burn. I personally consider a C1 avg of <1 acceptable (KProbe scan will be even lower). The TYs work well for audio as well but my car CD player “handles” the Metal Azo dye better.

Besides the Premium, I have a PX48/24/48, LiteOn 52327S, and Yamaha CRW-F1. The Premium is a great drive with many great “marketing” features but my $30 LiteOn burns just as well as all the others.

My advice would be to stick with TY media and do some testing to see what speeds, features work best for you. Good luck.

TY and Verbatim SuperAZO. Sometimes it burns some cheap Ritek CD-R’s(sold as Platinium here) too, because they cheap.
Actually he wait’s for RMA :frowning: and I cant figure out why he is not reading any CD anymore!
Software what I use with Premium and my other drives is CopyToDVD 3, Blindwrite 5, PlexTools Pro and sometimes Nero 6.3.1.15
For Audio it stays here 8x and for data 24-52x

My PS One plays all Premium burned discs well but I’m writing them to my son at 52x speed :slight_smile: He is just so young and don’t care about media…

I have used various CD-R media such as Mitsui inkjet 8X, Kodak 8X, TDK 16X (Ritek), TDK 40X (Ritek) and Verbatim DataLifePlus 52X with good results on my Plextor Premium (I have three of these drives). I use Nero 6 for data, Goldenhawk CDRWIN for audio, and occasionally PlexTools just for experimentation.

Recently I tried some HP 48X CD-R (made by CMC) and had to lower the burn speed to 32X or less to avoid getting high C1 error rates and some C2 errors. I’m convinced the quality problem lies with this media, not the Premium.

For audio I usually limit the burn speed to 4X or 8X. I have experimented a little with GigaRec at the 0.8X setting for audio discs with good results. I also have a Yamaha CRW-F1UX that I use with in AudioMaster mode for audio.

I am generally satisfied with the Premium’s overall burn quality with CD-R, even on marginal quality media, but burn quality on CD-RW apparently has some room for improvement. With the latest 1.05 firmware I noticed the Premium has much higher C1 rates with Verbatim 32X Ultraspeed+ CD-RW compared with the slightly older Verbatim 24X Ultraspeed CD-RW, which delivered excellent results.

I hope Plextor can continue to provide firmware updates for the Premium, as this drive is their flagship CD-RW, but with the latest firmware dated in November 2003, I have to wonder if there will ever be another Premium firmware release…

Thanks for the info guys. I’ll continue to experiment.

Here’s a thread I started that explains how many C1 errors I usually get when burning: My C1 Errors

Are those anywhere near the amount of C1’s you get?

Sorry about the double-post, so forget about the last one.

I wanted to post my C1/C2 error results in here, instead of in the CD-R(W) Media Tests forum. It’s just easier to not jump back-and-forth.

All cd-r discs were burned with PlexTools Professional.

All cd-r discs were read by PlexTools Professional, at 10-24 CAV speed.

PowerRec enabled:

32x - Axia 74 min. cd-r audio disc (TY made disc imported from Japan in retail jewel case): C1 errors/2,279 .

52x - Mitsui 80 min. cd-r disc (in retail jewel case): C1 errors/5,003.

52x - Taiyo Yuden 80 min. cd-r disc (in retail jewel case): C1 errors/5,178. C2 errors/2.

52x - Taiyo Yuden 80 min. cd-r disc (from a bulk pack): C1 errors/3,952. C2 errors/365.

PowerRec DISabled:

4x - Taiyo Yuden 80 min. cd-r disc (in retail jewel case): C1 errors/6,930.

8x - Taiyo Yuden 80 min. cd-r disc (in retail jewel case): C1 errors/5,142. C2 errors/511.

32x - Axia 74 min. cd-r audio disc (TY made disc imported from Japan in retail jewel case): C1 errors/1,574.

40x - Taiyo Yuden 80 min. cd-r disc (in retail jewel case): C1 errors/4,960.

40x - Taiyo Yuden 80 min. cd-r disc (from a bulk pack): C1 errors/3,523.

52x - Taiyo Yuden 80 min. cd-r disc (in retail jewel case): C1 errors/5,571.

52x - Mitsui 80 min. cd-r disc (in retail jewel case): C1 errors/4,079. C2 errors/2.

52x - Taiyo Yuden 80 min. cd-r disc (from a bulk pack): C1 errors/4,774.

Interesting results. Seems like the drive handles 74 min. media better than 80 min. Also, writing from 32x-40x results in “better burns”.

I guess the $30 I spent on those 10 Axia discs payed off:confused: :stuck_out_tongue: :bigsmile:

Out of curiosity I have a few questions:

• Are you burning audio or data discs?

• When comparing the C1/C2 results, did you burn the various brands of media with exactly the same content? Also, were the discs burned to full capacity (74 or 80 minutes)?

• What is the TLA# and manufacturing date printed on the label of your Premium?

• What firmware revision is installed in your Premium?

• Is your Premium working properly in UDMA mode 2 transfer mode in your computer? This mode (or at least a multi-word DMA mode) is needed to keep the drive buffer filled during high-speed burns at up to 52X. If the drive is only operating in PIO mode, the anti-coaster BPREC feature will be activated repeatedly during the burn, which can induce increased C1 errors.

Overall, I would say your C1 counts are pretty good. I have observed that PlexTools Q-Check C1/C2 test can report vastly higher error counts than the Kprobe tool with a LiteOn burner, with the same disc. I just scanned a TDK 40X (Ritek) 700MB CD-R burned with about 68 minutes of audio, and PlexTools 2.14 Q-Check with Premium reported C1=5674, C2=0, while Kprobe2 2.2.2 with a LiteOn SOHW-832S burner reported C1=93, C2=0. Both utilities were set to 10-24X CAV read speed for the error scans.

In my experience, getting a total C1 error count of less than 1,000 while scanning with PlexTools Q-Check can be VERY difficult, so total C1 error counts of a few thousand should still mean good quality burns, and should cause no trouble with reading/playback. Such counts are similar to what I get with my Premium with various CD-R brands.

The huge disparity (10X to over 100X) in C1 error count between PlexTools and Kprobe (PlexTools has the higher figures) is what I am struggling with a bit lately. I know the Premium and LiteOn drives can be vastly different in CD reading capability, but I still have a hard time acknowledging the disparity being solely due to this reason. Also, the PlexTools Q-Check reports seem to be more correlated with actual readibility of the discs, for example with discs reporting high C2 counts on the Premium also triggering RPM reductions during reading with various brands of CD/DVD burners and DVD-ROM drives, whereas LiteOn running Kprobe can breeze through discs that yield “Data error” or “CRC error” when reading with the burners and DVD-ROM drives, and return relatively low C1 counts.

Non-zero C2 counts, however, should be a cause of some concern. A burn with several hundred C2 errors is arguably not a good burn. If you see a burst of C2 errors concentrated in a particular section of a disc in the Q-Check graph it usually means there is a localized defect on that disc, but if discs of different brands and batches all return non-zero C2 errors in similar fashion, then your Premium is the likely suspect. High bursts of C2 errors on an audio disc can be very audible.

Perhaps your Premium drive is sub-par in burn quality for some reason, especially at the burn speeds you used. Since TY and Mitsui are on the Plextor recommended media list, you can try burning them at medium speeds (16X, 24X) to see if you can get lower error counts.

Another remote possibility is that the lens on the optical pickup unit of your Plextor may have become slightly dirty with dust, etc. not enough to mess up the drive big time, but contributes to increased focusing/tracking errors during burning and thus higher error counts. You can try a lens cleaning disc on the Premium, though I have no idea what might be the best (safe & effective) lens cleaner available.

Excellent reply scan80269, good work :wink:

I can answer all questions, except for the TLA# now. That will have to wait until I get home to look at the drive (I’m at work right now).

- Are you burning audio or data discs?

Audio.

- When comparing the C1/C2 results, did you burn the various brands of media with exactly the same content? Also, were the discs burned to full capacity (74 or 80 minutes)?

Yes, all discs were burned with the same exact content. No, the discs were not filled to capacity. The length totaled 64 minutes.

- What firmware revision is installed in your Premium?

- Is your Premium working properly in UDMA mode 2 transfer mode in your computer? This mode (or at least a multi-word DMA mode) is needed to keep the drive buffer filled during high-speed burns at up to 52X. If the drive is only operating in PIO mode, the anti-coaster BPREC feature will be activated repeatedly during the burn, which can induce increased C1 errors.

Yes, it’s working properly in UDMA Mode 2.

I bought the drive directly from Plextor. Sure I paid a little more, but I didn’t want to purchase it from some random site when I’m spending this much $ on a drive. Maybe it is a bunk drive?

I’ll try burning at 16x & 24x to see what happens. I only have a few of those Axia 74min. discs left, so I’ll use the other TY 80min. and Mitsui 80min. discs.

I do have an old lens cleaner, so I’ll go pick another one up. Might as well.

Sorry about the delay guys. I know the suspense has been killing you. :bigsmile: Scan80269, look below. :wink:

“What is the TLA# and manufacturing date printed on the label of your Premium?”

The TLA # is TLA0002. It was manufactured in August of 2003. Was there a ‘bad batch’ of these drives at a certain manufacturing date that you know of?

In place of the Axia (TY made-discs) I bought some Taiyo Yuden 74 min. in a bulk pack. Here are more test results. Again, the 74 min. media resulted in less C1 errors. The difference is ridiculous…

PowerRec DISabled:

8x - Taiyo Yuden 74 min. cd-r disc (from bulk pack): C1 errors/1,307.

16x - Taiyo Yuden 74 min. cd-r disc (from bulk pack): C1 errors/1,613. C2 errors/27.

16x - Taiyo Yuden 80 min. cd-r disc (from bulk pack): C1 errors/3,755. C2 errors/160.

16x - Mitsui 80 min. cd-r disc (in retail jewel case): C1 errors/4,350.

24x - Taiyo Yuden 74 min. cd-r disc (from bulk pack): C1 errors/1,500.

24x - Taiyo Yuden 80 min. cd-r disc (from bulk pack): C1 errors/3,914. C2 errors/48.

24x - Mitsui 80 min. cd-r disc (in retail jewel case): C1 errors/3,569.

32x - Taiyo Yuden 74 min. cd-r disc (from bulk pack): C1 errors/1,818.

Which the max writing speed can you write the plextor cd-rw by retail package???

With firm 1.05 I have 24x, and not 32x.:frowning:

This depends on your CD-RW media. The Premium supports 32x CD-RW recording speeds, this has nothing to do with the installed firmware version. Note that 24x CD-RW media cannot be burned at 32x.

Have you tried the plextor cdrw media present in package??? If yes, what is the maximum recording speed of this media???

The maximum recording speed of the CD-RW in my retail package was 24x.

As me.

Thank you.:slight_smile:

As was mine. When my Premium drive was shipped, 32x CD-RW media was not available. I now have three pieces of them and the drive can record them at 32x using the latest firmware.

“Which the max writing speed can you write the plextor cd-rw by retail package???” -TheMaster1

I have never used a cd-rw disc in my 5 years of burning cd’s, so I wouldn’t be of any help. Sorry man.

Hi!

I got a Premium-drive today and it seems to work perfecty, but I noticed something that seems to be very strange to me. Maybe it is a misunderstanding on my side, perhaps someone here can enlighten me :wink:

If I do a C1/C2-check on a CD-R with the Premium (FW 1.05, PlexTools 2.15), I get lots of C1-errors (that is ok), no C2-errors (that seems to be strange), and lots of CU-errors (unbelievable!).
As I understand it, CU means, that there are errors that can not be corrected.
But how can there be uncorrectable errors on a CD that does not have a single C2-error and that can be read without any error at full speed at any drive (including the Premium, of course)? I tried different CD-R (including TY, CMC, Prodisc), and all of them show results like that!
Am I misunderstanding something, or is this realy strange?
It seems to me as if C2 and CU are mixed up! Has anyone here tested the Premium with PlexTools 2.15?

Greetings,
Hirngranatn

Lots of CUs and no C2s is nearly impossible (but sh… happens)!

Just tried Premium and Plextools 2.15. Works fine the way it should.