Premium, Cactus (CDS) and 9 sec problem

Hi everybody,

saw this question buried deeply in another thread, didn’t want to “bury” the answer there as well, because many users might be interested.

As we remember with copy-protected audio-CDs: the “trade-mark” of CDS200 (Cactus DataShield) was a massive amount of errors on each track at about 9 seconds. If you did not reduce reading speed to 4x, you would get an audible distortion. When grabbing with cdda2wav, you would get “atom” errors.

The Premium does NOT have this “feature” anymore: you can read a CDS CD with 40x and have absolutely no distortions whatsoever.

Thought you might want to know :wink:

Kind regards Frederick

Nice!/gs.

As each day passes I’m more and more happy I picked up one of these Premium drives. :slight_smile:

This thing is just awesome to work with.

Limahl

I can confirm these results. Tested it with CDS200 (CDS200.0.4, 3.0 build 12b). No pops or cracks whatsoever when ripping at full speed.

Originally posted by Limahl
As each day passes I’m more and more happy I picked up one of these Premium drives. :slight_smile:

This thing is just awesome to work with.

My sentiments exactly. The Premium is IMHO not only the best Plextor, but the best writer ever. I am truly amazed on what it has to offer, just when I thought the PX-W4824A would be the end of the line (Plextor’s last cd-writer).

The more I use the writer, the more I’m impressed. Plextor has always raised the bar for the competition, but now they’ve outdone themselves. I mostly appreciate the quality-checks, let alone the awesome GigaRec feature. When quality-tesing some media, you’ll get really interesting results and know, why some media are cheap.

I do own a PX-W124TS, PX-W4012A, PX-W4824A but wouldn’t want to miss the Premium, I had to part from the 4012A (no more free slots in my computer). I’d even recommend PX-W4824A owners to upgrade.

Kind regards Frederick

Thank you Frederick and G@M3FR3@K for this important information.

I’ll be ordering my Premium today.

Cheers,
Halcyon