Premium & Audio Extraction Quality

vbimport

Ok people I REALLY need your help.
At the beginning of EVERY extracted track there’s a “click” and this happens with every cd I tried.
PlexTools professional 2.05 installed.
Firmware 1.02 installed.
Encoder: Lame 3.92, 256 Kbps constant bitrate.
“Recover the best bytes (least errors) per sector”, “Audio error detection” and “Allow speed down” are selected.
Aspi 4.72 installed.
The strange thing is that Exact Audio Copy works fine! (but i want plextools to work cause it’s faster)
I tried with every speed setting. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP.

What happens if you do the extraction with EAC? (In case you don’t know it, go to http://www.exactaudiocopy.de.)

Originally posted by urvieh
What happens if you do the extraction with EAC? (In case you don’t know it, go to http://www.exactaudiocopy.de.)

As I said in my 1st post, if i do the same extraction with EAC, everything is perfect.

Originally posted by Tudos

As I said in my 1st post, if i do the same extraction with EAC, everything is perfect.

I’m sorry, I ought to have read more thoroughly … Well, are the versions of lame identical? I know there was a clipping issue with older versions. Do the clicks also occur at the beginning of wave files?

(FYI: I ripped a very bad original of “… all this time” with my UltraPlex scsi drive and did the same with the PP. The files are identical, i.e. both drives here must have the same error or they perfom equally well.)

[B]

I’m sorry, I ought to have read more thoroughly … Well, are the versions of lame identical? I know there was a clipping issue with older versions. Do the clicks also occur at the beginning of wave files?

(FYI: I ripped a very bad original of “… all this time” with my UltraPlex scsi drive and did the same with the PP. The files are identical, i.e. both drives here must have the same error or they perfom equally well.) [/B]

The Lame versions are identical (3.92) but there are no clicks at the beginning of wave files.

The Lame versions are identical (3.92) but there are no clicks at the beginning of wave files.

I think we have found the cause of your problems. I can imagine the interface between the PT and lame is the problem. I’d suggest to try lame v3.93.1 (the latest stable version) from http://www.jthz.com/~lame/ .

[B]

I think we have found the cause of your problems. I can imagine the interface between the PT and lame is the problem. I’d suggest to try lame v3.93.1 (the latest stable version) from http://www.jthz.com/~lame/ . [/B]

I think I’ve read somewhere that that version of lame isnt stable at all… and why would lame interfere with plextools?

Just tried with 3.93.1 and nothing changed.

I think I’ve read somewhere that that version of lame isnt stable at all… and why would lame interfere with plextools?

The data stream has to be handed over to lame once it has been ripped off the cd. This could be the point. Maybe the data arrive a little bit too late. I am not a programmer but I’ve seen weird mp3 files over the years :-). As for me, lame 3.93.1 has never crashed or given unwanted results.

If you have Nero Burning ROM, you might want to try some of the plug-ins found on http://neroplugins.cd-rw.org . They work equally fine.

Just tried with 3.93.1 and nothing changed.

It seems to be the PlexTools’ fault.

Let’s try to be clear: in order to use lame with plextools I just need to put lame_enc.dll in the system32 folder, right? Nothing else to do to?

Let’s try to be clear: in order to use lame with plextools I just need to put lame_enc.dll in the system32 folder, right? Nothing else to do to?

My help file says it has to be the windows folder or the plextools’ directory. I would delete the file in the windows a/o sub folders and put the dll into the plextools folder.

Anyway, if you use the plextools for ripping and encoding, speed cannot be the matter. That is why I suggest to try Nero Burning ROM along with the lame plugin (not the built-in one, it stops after a certain number of encoding processes). If you do not have Nero, go to
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=cddae.html
and give cd dae a try. It has been written by the Nero folks :-).

I would use EAC and RazorLame, a nice frontend for lame.

I would use EAC and RazorLame, a nice frontend for lame.

Or the plextools for the wave files. This works fine.

I just downloaded the evaluation version of Easy CD-DA Extractor 6.0. It’s VERY VERY fast (ever faster than plextools) and they put this new options in the program:

• Normal
  • Audio Resync
  • Advanced Audio Resync
  • Error Recovery
  • Error Recovery & Repair

This is the guide from Poikosoft website.

Read mode
Normal; This is the default mode; Reads audio as fast as possible. There will be no problems if the CD-reader that is used for reading the CD supports digital audio extraction correctly and the audio CD is clean and contains no scratches.
Audio Resync; Some older CD-readers may not be able to extract audio data perfectly (you will hear this as extra clicks or pops in the sound). If you don’t get clean copy with the default mode (Normal), try this mode instead.
Advanced Audio Resync; If you did not get clean copies with Audio Resync, you can try this mode instead.
Error Recovery; Don’t fail on errors, skip errors.
Error Recovery & Repair; Detect faults (scratches, invalid sectors) on an audio CD and try to repair them. (I use this)

Using Error Recovery & Repair the tracks are perfect. Do u think that this program could replace EAC (so damn slow)?

B Do u think that this program could replace EAC (so damn slow)? [/B]

As you said: It is not the problem of audio extraction because the wav files are clean. So, why pay for another piece of software if you have what you want?

Audio encoding is a different matter. There it is up to you which software you use. It can be a batch file for lame.exe, it can be a freeware encoder such as RazorLame (also for lame.exe), it can be AudioGrabber (the one I started with, it has a nice and simple interface for the dll compilation of lame), it can be Nero Burning ROM itself.

Using Error Recovery & Repair the tracks are perfect. Do u think that this program could replace EAC (so damn slow)?

I don’t know Easy CD-DA Extractor, but if you want the speed of PlexTools and secure ripping, you can try Feurio! (it supports lame_enc.dll)

Feurio will report C2 errors, although it won’t do anything to correct them unlike PlexTools or EAC (most C2 errors are corrected in hardware).
This way, if no C2 error is reported, you’ll be sure that DAE was perfect.

www.feurio.com

Edit: The Plextor Premium is supported as a burner in the latest beta version, and you need to be registered to use Beta versions.
The reading settings will also be generic in the previous unlimited versions (1.66.5), so you’d have to enable C2 errors in Feurio CD-Manager -> Program Parameters -> Special Parameters -> C2-error-message and enable the 1st box.

Originally posted by minix
you can try Feurio!

I do love Feurio, I even bought it, but (a) he has to pay for it to get PP support and (b) he just needs a working encoder. And there are so many freeware programmes “on the market” …

http://www.jthz.com/~lame has a lot of links to pages where he can get software …

(a) he has to pay for it to get PP support

well, there’s no need to pay if you only want to use the P.Premium to rip with regular demo version 1.66.
Feurio can rip with any drive (you only need the beta version to burn).

Apart from EAC, only PlexTools and Feurio have some kind of secure ripping and support LAME, AFAIK.
Maybe EasyCD-DA Extractor is also secure, but I don’t know.

And it’s nicer to rip directly to MP3 instead than WAV and then compress to MP3.

Originally posted by minix
[B]
Apart from EAC, only PlexTools and Feurio have some kind of secure ripping and support LAME, AFAIK.
Maybe EasyCD-DA Extractor is also secure, but I don’t know.

And it’s nicer to rip directly to MP3 instead than WAV and then compress to MP3. [/B]

Rumour has it easy cdda supports a new mode which can be compared to secure ripping. As far as being nice goes … Well, I like to rip first and play around with the different lame option afterwards. Lame.exe of course … :wink:

I THINK I realized what causes that error at the beginning of every track. When I hit start the Premium spins up and then spins down, then the extraction window comes up and the Premium finally re-spins up and the extraction begins. IS THIS NORMAL? Coz I think that the extraction begins the first time the Premium spins up, then the extraction stops when Premium spins down and get resumed when Premium re-spins up! Could this be the problem? Happens with both Lame 3.92 and 3.93.1.