Preliminary "2005" Inquiries

vbimport

(#1) With this unit, do you set the writing speed?

In the manual I downloaded from the site I have yet to find what maximum speed the 5005 is capable of writing at. Is this information shown anywhere?

(#2) In looking at Lite-On’s list of recommended brands, most of them have a smaller number than the ones found in stores. Imation, one of the manufacturers that appears on the list I found with an “8x” label in a retail outlet.

Will the “8x” work, even though the highest level shown on the compatibility list is “4x” for DVD-R?

Maxell brand of DVD-R uses the phrase “up to 4x”, does that mean that the disc is compatible with lower levels of writing speed, but this is the maimxum that it can handle? If this is true then a package of media labeled simply “8x” means writing speed can be lower with this disc format?

(#3) Is DVD-R format more desirable to use because it is more universal than DVD+R? Aside from the basic compatibility with certain DVD players, are there any specifics about their differences that would make either one more favored than the other?

(#4) In checking the media in stores, I did not note any “RW” product. Is it only at specialty stores and online?

(#5) To directly connect a mini DV camcorder to this recorder thru the iLink, what product do I select?

If it says “IEEE 1394 Firewire DV Cable 4 to 4 pin” is that descriptive enough in order to research it online & retrieve the needed product?

Are there any recommended bargain manufacturers for this cable? :eek:

Did you mean to write “5005” in your title?

(#1) With this unit, do you set the writing speed?
No. Not sure why this matters other than the speed of finalizing, which is fairly fast vs. other brands.

(#2) In looking at Lite-On’s list of recommended brands, most of them have a smaller number than the ones found in stores. Imation, one of the manufacturers that appears on the list I found with an “8x” label in a retail outlet.

Most brands work well, although I prefer Ritek (Ridata) and stay away from Optodisc.

(#3) Is DVD-R format more desirable to use because it is more universal than DVD+R?

Most newer DVD players are compatible with both and +/-RW as well. +RW is preferrable because that is the only format which does not required finalizing (a step required for most player compatibility)

(#4) In checking the media in stores, I did not note any “RW” product. Is it only at specialty stores and online?
They should be around in most local stores, although online deals seem more abundant.

(#5) To directly connect a mini DV camcorder to this recorder thru the iLink, what product do I select?
Newer JVC miniDVs work well. There are some reports of problems with Sony (audio dropouts while monitoring, but not in the final recorded DVD). The LiteON 5005 1394 port is input ONLY and works as DV IN from camcorders only (eg won’t output to camcorder or input/output to PC).

If it says “IEEE 1394 Firewire DV Cable 4 to 4 pin” is that descriptive enough in order to research it online & retrieve the needed product?

This should cost around $10 and is widely available. There are some deals on Ebay as well.
http://www.computergate.com/products/item.cfm?prodcd=CEE44P6
http://www.dcables.com/catalog/1_0_meter_firewire__4_pin_to_4_pin_2737136.htm

Regarding #2, then you are saying that it doesn’t matter what the speed number is on the label of the media? It’s the specific brand that counts?

It is generally the brand rather than the speed. Although within certain brands dye formulations are changed at different speeds. Many brands are also not manufactured by the “label” brand. The true manufacturer can only be determined with a PC based utility such as DVD Identifier.

I have succesfully used 4x, 8x and 12x media on my 5005. I have the older drive that has a maximum speed of 4x. The newer models are equipped with an 8x capable drive, but as Thrunner said, drive speed is really irrelevant in this particular application.