Preferred 1:1 copying software?

Well I’m fairly new to all of this business, but at the recommendation of a friend I’ve been using BlindWrite. So far it’s done a pretty good job, but I’m just curious if there’s a particular program that’s considered the “best” overall – one that makes 1:1 copies more reliably (and preferably with less hassle) than the others.

I use Alcohol 120% for 1:1 copy. It can beat also StarForce and Securom New and is has also 128 buffer. Very good program

At this moment I would say: Alcohol 120% and CloneCD. However I would recommend Alcohol as its more advanced in some fields, as emulation.

personally, i don’t like to rely on just one program but a few in case one can’t do what the other can :slight_smile:

currently using CloneCD… never like Alcohol 120% because i think there is too much options that i dont really use such as virtual drive. if u are like me just burning 1:1 copies then try clonecd.

Originally posted by preducer
currently using CloneCD… never like Alcohol 120% because i think there is too much options that i dont really use such as virtual drive. if u are like me just burning 1:1 copies then try clonecd.
Thats all well and good. BUT what do you do when a 1:1 backup is immpossible?
SecuROM 4.8,
CD Cops,
StarForce,
Protect CD-VOB 5,
all cannot be backed up in Clone CD as 1:1 backups. Alcohol 120% will take care of all these protections without help from other utilities.
Alcohol 120% is the most complete burning software at the moment.

Originally posted by preducer

dont think that is a good reason not to use alcohol.
you can always turn off options that you dont use or need. better have the options included so you can turn it off if you want, then that there are no options at all.
i recommend alcohol 120% to make 1:1 copies. has a solution for almost every copy protection without the use off a second program. that is something you cant say from ccd.
i think that ccd is to limited for the newest copy protections. and alcohol has updates regulary.

Just another lance for A120%…

With a little help from the guys here and at the Alcohol forum, it’s never failed me yet!

I think you’ll also find the virtual drive option exceptionally useful:

1. It allows you to check your image file before burning.

2. If you have a reasonably large HD you can install & run apps directly from the VD.
    You might want to do this just for extra speed, but it also allows you to install & run a program you are having trouble burning due to cd protection or hardware problems (u can still back up your ISO on a cd as if it were any other file…).

Thats all well and good. BUT what do you do when a 1:1 backup is immpossible?
SecuROM 4.8,
CD Cops,
StarForce,
Protect CD-VOB 5,
all cannot be backed up in Clone CD as 1:1 backups. Alcohol 120% will take care of all these protections without help from other utilities. Alcohol 120% is the most complete burning software at the moment.

At this point in time there is no software that will make a 1:1 copy not even alcohol as eluded too. Alcohol will emulate certain protections like securom 4.8 but it will not make a 1:1 copy which will require you to have alcohol installed on every machine you want to use your copy in.

Blindwrite 4.2.5 and the BWA builder 4.2.8 combination will allow you to copy securom 4.8 it’s not 1:1 but if you search through the forums here you will find different levels of success with the copy alone working and some have had to install an autoplay feature to work in other machines.

The bad about both of these IMO is no premastering ability at this time, no mp3/music cd support unless it is just to copy a music cd from the original to back-up.

I don’t believe you will find one piece of cd-burning software that will do all you want it to, unless your just going to make data disks. Your best bet it to do alot of research and trials. Alcohol as described in this thread by the alcoholics, will “NOT” do it all and IMO nothing will at this point in time.

Originally posted by kamikazee
[B]

At this point in time there is no software that will make a 1:1 copy not even alcohol as eluded too.[/B]
Yep.
I never intended people to believe Alcohol produced 1:1 backups. I merly suggested that there is atleast some solution with Alcohol. All be it by emulation. There is currently no other “legal” way.

a very good summary there, kamikaze. we all look for the elusive burning program that is ‘all things to all men’ but i don’t think it will really ever appear.

we all look for the elusive burning program that is ‘all things to all men’

now if only I Dream Of Genie and BeWitched were real :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Bulk
All be it by emulation. There is currently no other “legal” way.

There’s nothing illegal about the twinpeak method which does not require emulation. The program is not modified in any way.

What is altered is the type of media on which it’s recorded and the manner in which it’s recorded.

Confusion can arise here because of the mistaken belief that the cd itself is copyrighted and that you don’t own it but only have a licence to use it. This is, of course, quite false.

It is the program, music or movie recorded on the cd that is subject to copyright, not the cd itself. You own the cd but not the program, music or movie recorded on it.

Now there is nothing that requires a back-up copy of a program to be recorded on the same media as the original. Indeed, it would be impossible to do so.

No-one sells cdrs with bad and weak sectors built in (safedisc), with a great ring cut into the outer part of the cd (ring protech) or with the physical characteristics of the cds on which securom protected games are recorded.

All any duplicating program can do is record the program to the burnt cd in such a way as to imitate the physical structure of the original sufficiently well to defeat/fool the guard module.

Twinpeak does no more than this and it must be borne in mind that what is being manipulated here is not the program (copyright) but the physical structure of the burnt cd (not copyright) as is the case with practically all other methods of producing working copies of copy-protected cds, irrespective of the protection used

does anyone knows why alcohol burn a little slower than clonecd ??

Originally posted by philamber
[B]
There’s nothing illegal about the twinpeak method which does not require emulation. The program is not modified in any way.

What is altered is the type of media on which it’s recorded and the manner in which it’s recorded.
[/B]
Sorry, I need to sort out our language barrier here. :smiley:
I was referring to CD Cops and Starforce. For SecuROM 4.8 I use TwinPeak. Its very effective. Since Blindwrite doesnt work for me anyway, its the only option without emulation.
However, what I should have wrote was for StarForce, CD Cops ect… emulation is the only legal way.