Prediction: Sony PS3 will win long term console war

vbimport

Duh. Just like the PS2 & PS1 consoles.

Hate sony as much as you want, but the PS3 is a winning product, that has only been improving over time.

Blind Freddy, and myself, predicted this two years ago.

My PS3 will be celebrating it’s 2yrs birthday in about 1 month.

Prediction: Sony PS3 will win long term console war.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/03/cmdZjq.jpg[/newsimage]Strategy Analytics recently predicted the Sony PlayStation 3 game console will eventually become the No. 1 game platform, outlasting the Nintendo Wii.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/prediction-sony-ps3-will-win-console-war-26944/](http://www.myce.com/news/prediction-sony-ps3-will-win-console-war-26944/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

umm how long is this gen going to last for? 360’s been out almost 5 years hasn’t it? Its only a matter of time before some info gets leaked that development has start for one company, and everyone will be diving headfirst to the next console.

The question is, can the ps3 outsell the 360 before the next gen comes out?

that being said I own both. There’s been a few more games on the 360 that i’ve enjoyed than the ps3 (excluding games made for both consoles of course). I still give the advantage to the 360 in terms of quality and quanitity of quality games. However the ps3 is easily the better hardware and has great games (just not as many as the ps3).

and my wii is dusty. it doesn’t do high def, and only gets used when people visit. Seeing as most people didnt’ give a crap if it did HD this time around, I can see Nintendo having a tougher go around next time, as the same customer base might not see the need for an upgrade.

Okay, not sure if my opinion here means much since I’m a PC gamer. Consoles are dead to me now. The last console I used extensively was the NES. Yes, I’m that old, folks. No man-breasts yet, but I’m working on it.

Anyway, I have to admit that the look and tech of the PS3 is superior to the 360. In the long run, though, does anybody care? The PS3 came out late and expensive. It came with a Blu-ray drive that most people didn’t care about or use for the longest time. Also, I have every reason to believe the next console war will begin shortly. My guess is 2012, just in time for the Apocalypse.

I think Sony is ONLY NOW making a profit from their PS3 venture. In the long run, they won the war that almost killed the company. A big hand for Sony, boys and girls. Yay !!!

It’s the year 2013 and the Sony president ask to their different branches how they are doing…

Game Branch: Sir we have good new and bad news.
President: Good news please…
Game Branch: Sir the PS3 finally is selling at a profit in hardware.
President: That’s great, and what is the bad news?
Game Branch: Well Sir,…errmm… the market is already saturated, the economy stalled and Nintendo and MS are working on their NextGeneration Consoles… so we are barely selling any PS3s…
President: … Well, that’s lame, do something to fix it and let me know… I’ll be at my Office playing Mario Galaxy 3.

So it looks like all those people who mocked & criticized Sony for releasing such an “expensive” console should put their foot in their mouth. Sony wins the war in the long run.

they haven’t won yet? lol. Its speculation. The last few months the 360 outsold the ps3 again, and that was without a pricecut…

I think it’ll be harder then sony things… they they only have finite amount of time before the nextgen consoles comeout.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

[QUOTE=debro;2500201]Duh. Just like the PS2 & PS1 consoles.

Hate sony as much as you want, but the PS3 is a winning product, that has only been improving over time.

Blind Freddy, and myself, predicted this two years ago.

My PS3 will be celebrating it’s 2yrs birthday in about 1 month.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with Debro, but at the end of the day it is up to you which console you pick, i don’t want to get into a ‘fanboy’ war with anyone here :D.

If you want my opinion then here it is:

The Sony PlayStation 3 is more expensive than the Xbox 360 & Wii mainly because it is of higher quality, and has many more features. I have had my “fat” PS3 for almost 3 years and not once has it broken. Here are some features of the PS3 which i like:

1: Blu-Ray Compatability - for both games and DVD’s.
2: Free online access.
3: Built-in web browser - you can access Facebook, YouTube, Google, online games and much more.
4: Comes with BBC iPlayer.
5: Controllers are wireless, motion-sensed, recharges efficiently via USB lead, 4-player compatability, and recent models now include a ‘rumble’.
6: Large array of exclusive games, for example: Metal Gear Solid 4, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, and PlayStation Home which is free.
7: 2 USB Slots (4 in 60GB model)
8: Built-in Bluetooth and wireless internet connection.
9: Powerful, quiet cooling fan.
10: Store a range of multimedia.
11: Consoles range from 40GB to 250GB (even higher if you purchase an external hard drive)
12: 60GB model includes backward compatability with games from PlayStation and PlayStation 2.
13: Trophy system.
14: Low failure-rate.
15: Different skins available.
16: Does not scratch discs.
17: 60GB model includes extra memory card slots (for SD Pro, SD Mini and CF)
18: Xross Media Bar accessible during gameplay.
19: No disc tray.
20: 60GB model includes touch-pads.
21: Avatar system.
22: Chat rooms.
23: Millions of online users.
24: Frequent software updates for both the system and games.
25: Slim model available.
26: Download a range of multimedia from PlayStation store, much of which is free. Content includes wallpapers, themes, videos, game-soundtracks, applications, and game add-on packs (DLC).

I wrote this list off the top of my head so i have probably missed some! I have nothing against the other consoles, its just that i much prefer the PlayStation 3 because of the endless amount of great features it has, along with stability and quality.

im not much of gamer, my last console was the snes. i still dont play much, but my kids play the wii everyday.

using homebrew the nintendo wii can do almost all of that and more. just to bad nintendo didnt give it better hardware.

nintendo should have embraced the homebrew community a few years ago, [21st of March 2008 to be exact] instead of trying to stop it.

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2500273]Sony wins the war in the long run.[/QUOTE]
Just like PS1 & PS2.

The Long Run … The Bigger Picture … The Future … something the Japanese consider, and the Western World doesn’t. I call it … “seeing past the end of your nose”.

[QUOTE=Zod;2500289]they haven’t won yet? lol. Its speculation. The last few months the 360 outsold the ps3 again, and that was without a pricecut…[/QUOTE]
Is that because alot of penniless Americans bought the Xbox360 on credit, the console ahs broken down, outside of warranty, and they have a large games catalogue that they don’t want to see wasted?

[QUOTE=Zod;2500289]
I think it’ll be harder then sony thinks… they they only have finite amount of time before the nextgen consoles comeout.
[/QUOTE]Xbox720, or whatever is due out soon … the PS4 is due out in what … 5 or 6 years?

[QUOTE=troy512;2500380] It’s just too bad that nintendo didnt give it better hardware.[/QUOTE]
They wanted cheap & fun. They can’t compete with the big boys for raw processing power, so they just shrink the chip, overclock it, add some more memory (ie, adjust their base console specifications accordingly, almost solely thanks to improvements in technology manufacturing) and call it a new console, and keep their entire game catalogue (from the previous console) and programmer base.

It’s not really much of an improvement. Wii was all about the funky wireless controller, which was very innovative. The base system hardware was just an overclocked Nintendo Gamecube with more system memory - the controllers & whole gaming paradigm shifted. Something that everyone can play, even old grannies.

Yeah … PS3 games … about that … I think I own about 3 or 4 (two downloaded from PSN) … but I use my PS3 for damn near everything.
ABC TV - Iview (Streaming TV from the internet, because it’s unmetered).
PVR, if I want to record anything, which is pretty rare … but I love the whole timeshifting capability.
Media Centre :iagree:

It’s a pity that sony removed the SD/Flash card card slots in newer models, same with the extra USB ports - would have made it a great entertainment system all-rounder.

I hope sony now adds MKV playback, and samba networking (windows networking). That way, I can plug in my USB camera & upload piccies/movies directly to my file server, without the use of a PC :iagree:

Bookmarks for upnp servers/samba would also be nice. :iagree:

Despite my working life, I probably spend about 3-4hrs a day on my PS3 - rarely gaming.
I haven’t touched my normal (gaming) PC for about 3-4 months (since I finished “Tales of Monkey Island”) . And I use my lappy to surf the web, and do work … usually while I’m watching something on my PS3

Tragic but true.

And the PS3 is the only currently available bluray player on the market that is 3D Bluray compatible (with sony firmware upgrade).

I’ve had bad luck with Sony products my whole life, even the original PS was crap. But I recently got a PS3 Slim 250GB for my birthday and love it. Got it with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and EA NHL 10 (LOVE THAT!). I’ll admit, I’ve had some issues with gaming online with it (drops, etc), but I attribute that more to Time Warner/Road Runner services. They reduced upstream to the equivalent of a voice channel (64K - think dial-up).

I know I thought about a XBOX 360, but I have fixed so many of them for friends and family I decided the the wife and kids should get me a damn Sony product… and so far I am glad they did.

If Sony adds Matroska playback it will be damn near perfect.

Call me an idiot but i don’t think that any of the current consoles will live for another ten years. There will be no war whatsover. Someone else may rise up.

There will be either a lot of hardware upgrades or add-ons, that the fanbase will demand a new system where all that functionality that was built up over the years is already integrated.

The borders are fading away. There is a social part (twitter, facebook), an entertainment part (videogames, shows, series, television, movies), an information part (internet, news, feeds, rss) and a communication part (voip, skype, virtual meetings). The big 4. All these parts are gradually integrating into incredibly complex systems that you can’t call these things 100% consoles anymore. Any of the big 4 can seamleslly communicate with any other member of the big 4, in the end resulting in a all-in-one system with modules.

In addition to that virtualization is advancing at incredible speed.

So my guess is that within ten years there will be a huge base virtual system with incredible cpu and gpu cores that can transfer anything to some display (monitor, plasma, beamer, television) and recieve input (keyboard, joystick, mouse, wiimote) back. The big 4 will all be software modules.

Wether you need to skype, cad/cam or play videogames, all is done in the same big system. All necessary transfers and compatibility issues will be handled using virtual layers/tooling. You buy the base system and the virtual software modules.

A big center system for your home and you connect a couple of terminals to it.

When I see the level of graphics from the PS3 in FFXIII and God of War III, there is no doubt in my mind this console has at least 2-3 more years of strong sales coming.

PC is more powerful and can make even better graphics, but it costs much more than a console to get those graphics. You need to pay on average 300-400$ every 2 years or so to really stay at the top while you could buy a PS3 now and be good for probably 5 more years and you get one of the best Blu-Ray drives on the market at the same time.

The only consoles of this generation that are showing their age are the Wii and X360, they have no “future” value unlike the PS3. Remember even now, devs are still barely scratching the CELLL power and let’s not forget the PS3 will be 3D compatible which is sure to please a lot of consumers as well. The other two are pretty much already at their peak in terms of quality and service.

Many people have been saying for a long time the “10 years” vision from Sony for their product would pay off in the end and it’s happening.

Japanese companies are much more prone to taking risks over long periods of time.

h**p://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20100310235603_Imagination_Technologies_You_Will_Have_the_Power_of_PlayStation_3_in_Your_Pocket_in_Three_Years.html

You still think the PS3 will be relevant at 2013? I’d rather think the PS4 will dominate at that year.

This is like Saddam Hussein claiming a win in Iraq.

PS3 is just as big of a piece of garbage as the 360, Sony won’t be profiting once it looses the current lawsuit against them for their B.S. firmware updates crashing systems and they have to start paying/replacing all the consoles they have fried or for their crappy lasers dying after a couple of years. How ignorant of your own target audience do you have to be to think consumers for your product would only be playing games/watching movies 20 hours a week? (for those who don’t know Sony developed the original laser to last the life of the console based on the assumption the average gamer plays games or watches movies around 20 hours per week, in reality it’s more like 60)
Over the past year our shelves have stayed full of both systems in for repair
360’s would barely beat out PS3 if I put together an actual total… it would be a few hundred of each… Wii on the other hand… we had 9 come in for repair last year… 9
Sony is loosing its ASS with PSP Go, so I seriously doubt they can show a profit in their gaming division without screwing with the books, unless they are making it up on the $150 they are charging to fix consoles either their updates or piss poor laser designs have caused to crap out.
I wish they would just concentrate on creating a great console for gaming, and quit all this other multi-media bull shit… and trying to make a PC out of their consoles, everyone here has a PC, it’s nice… but not needed and it would bring the costs of the systems down to an affordable level at launch, and keep the focus on gaming.
A stripped down system, with good games and little problems will outsell them all in the end.

My2Cents

No-ones calling you an idiot Mr B :slight_smile:
I give the PS3 another 4-5yrs, before they release the PS4, which will once again provide mediocre experience at launch.
And the PS3 will last another 2-3 years after that, before the PS4 take off.

I think most people will get another 6-7 years out of their PS3’s, excluding breakdowns :iagree:

[QUOTE=BetrayerX;2500531]You still think the PS3 will be relevant at 2013? I’d rather think the PS4 will dominate at that year.[/QUOTE]
PS3 in your pocket in 2-3 years? I also don’t doubt it.
The new model PS3’s will also shrink, and the ram will shrink, and the power supplies will shrink … and the bluray drive & HDD will stay the same size, and all the extra ports will go, leaving just USB, HDMI & optical outputs.

[QUOTE=KingAlbert;2500641]This is like Saddam Hussein claiming a win in Iraq.[/QUOTE]
Please explain. I understand Hussein was caught hiding in a hole. Sony are now making profit from their console sales, along with a well established PSN, bluray & soon to be 3D TV’s & etc. They’ve turned around from the black hole that was the PS3 development costs, and the world is recovering from the GFC (for now) and sony will be raking in $$$ from their LONG TERM INVESTMENT. Something that western countries can’t get their head around.

[QUOTE=jhutchi63;2500656]PS3 is just as big of a piece of garbage as the 360, Sony won’t be profiting once it looses the current lawsuit against them for their B.S. firmware updates crashing systems and they have to start paying/replacing all the consoles they have fried or for their crappy lasers dying after a couple of years. How ignorant of your own target audience do you have to be to think consumers for your product would only be playing games/watching movies 20 hours a week? (for those who don’t know Sony developed the original laser to last the life of the console based on the assumption the average gamer plays games or watches movies around 20 hours per week, in reality it’s more like 60)
Over the past year our shelves have stayed full of both systems in for repair
[/QUOTE]
Which firmware update broke consoles? Burnt Lenses from 2.6? I understand these were from impatient people that cancel the update operation prematurely, despite all warnings.

Methinks anyone playing games for 60hrs a week needs a life away from their console, and joystick, otherwise they will spend their entire lives playing with their joystick … alone :stuck_out_tongue:

By making it less expensive?

Firmware updates 3.0 and 3.1 have been the main culprits, and to whoever posted the problems were only because of people shutting their systems off during the updates you need to look it up… the majority are people who completed the updates and the systems worked fine until they shut them off or re-booted them. There wouldn’t be a class action lawsuit against them if the consumer was the cause of the problem.
Sure there are plenty of issues with people getting impatient and killing the updates, power outages while updating… ISP craps out, any number of reasons why an update didn’t complete, but that’s with ANY update… these are specific updates on consoles that completed the update.
No one knows why or what caused the problems, it has been speculated that since the issues were only with earlier models that there must have been time during the early production run when they were banging these systems out as fast as they could that they must have “cut some corners” and used alternative parts when they were running short, or they changed something didn’t like it and changed it back… either one could be the cause of a firmware update, lets not forget, the system is little over 3 years old yet it’s been through 3 different revisions, had 8 different models released, and is on it’s 4th generation… with so many different changes to a console that constantly requires some type of update sooner or later a major issue is bound to happen. At least with the 360 we know it was a P.O.S. from launch with the heatsink design issues from the starting gate… and Microsoft did the right thing by agreeing to fix them for free… Sony has yet to take on any of the blame and charges people for the repairs.
I’m sorry people… but if you’ve spent $300 - $500 on a game system you should expect to get more than 2-3 years out of it (or less).

[QUOTE=debro;2500665]No-ones calling you an idiot Mr B :slight_smile:

Which firmware update broke consoles? Burnt Lenses from 2.6? I understand these were from impatient people that cancel the update operation prematurely, despite all warnings.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Gaming is the reason, the rest is useless nonsense and clutter.