Practical Use of 100Mbps line at home

vbimport

If you had 100Mbps lines at home, what would you do? For nearly free, of course.

Connect it to the XBOX, run FTP, and transfer games/movies/music to the XBOX hard-drive, at a rate of 10 Mbytes/sec…

That’s one practical use of my 100Mbps line. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by DanDaMan1487
[B]Connect it to the XBOX, run FTP, and transfer games/movies/music to the XBOX hard-drive, at a rate of 10 Mbytes/sec…

That’s one practical use of my 100Mbps line. :slight_smile: [/B]

I thought only one hard drive can be stuffed into an XBox. If you download at a rate of 10MB/s, you will fill 36.6GB in an hour.

I’d run a videoserver that hosts all of my video-edits so everyone could see them at home. Some password-protected though :slight_smile:

Ofcourse, I’d connect a dedicated Linux server to it. For what use?

-personal website, perhaps some commercial ones as well
-vnc server on all my systems for remote working
-multiple webcams as “intrusion detection” on a website

etc etc :slight_smile:

my house would be a reality tv show. realtime streams.

//serious now

i’d learn lots about network security. use one of my computers as a proxy server / web server / ftp, hide the others from the internet. 100 mbps line to a hacker / spammer is like a tornado to a trailer park.

use part of the bandwidth to host games servers for profit.

ftp server

a Shoutcast server

Use it for my mp3 release group :slight_smile: or just use it as a release group dump.

Boobs, tits, hooters, … :slight_smile:

Make a free node :wink:

One or two dedicated game servers and the rest (still enough) of that lovely bandwidth just for me to browse around, then I wouldn’t actually need to wait for those huuge images you post sometimes Kenny to load :wink:

Of course the game server would have to step aside for the occasional excessive stream of pr0n :wink: :smiley:

Originally posted by Kenshin
I thought only one hard drive can be stuffed into an XBox. If you download at a rate of 10MB/s, you will fill 36.6GB in an hour.

Nah you don’t understand…

Do you really think I stuffed in 2 hard drives??? :confused:

I took out the original 8GB one and put in a 120GB one (of course it has to be precisely formatted and partitioned to XBOX specifications).

And by the way, I have filled up almost all of it (2 gig’s remaining :stuck_out_tongue: )

Makes me feel good in some way… :eek:

Game servers or server for my homepage ( with extremely big download files such as trial programs and the like )

Originally posted by DanDaMan1487
[B]Nah you don’t understand…

Do you really think I stuffed in 2 hard drives??? :confused:

I took out the original 8GB one and put in a 120GB one (of course it has to be precisely formatted and partitioned to XBOX specifications).

And by the way, I have filled up almost all of it (2 gig’s remaining :stuck_out_tongue: )

Makes me feel good in some way… :eek: [/B]

I actually meant an Xbox is too small.

In reality, if you use 100Mbps lines, you are going to add 300GB hard disk drives like every new day or every new week, depending on how much you earn and how much you want.

I didn’t know XBox is compatible with 120GB hard disk drive. Never had any game console. I don’t even know any other game besides Solitaire, Minesweeper, Tetris, and some other likewise simple games.

I have 4 10Mbps static IP lines and 3 100Mbps near-static IP lines now. The main server is in an IDC in Seoul though, just 2Mbps dedicated.

Originally posted by Wannez
I’d run a videoserver that hosts all of my video-edits so everyone could see them at home. Some password-protected though :slight_smile:

That sounds like fun. Maybe I should have a digital video camera as soon as possible. Never bought or had one before. My Sony DSC-F717 can take just a lousy 320x240 resolution MPEG-1 video with mono sound.

heh wait, I was mistaken of the subject…

I thought you were talking about CAT5 networking. :a What I have been talking about is what I do with my HOME network…

I’m sorry, you meant if I had a 100Mbps line to the net, etc…

I’d just set up huge distro’s, distribute applications…

And leech from IRC like crazy!

@Kenshin
If I remember correctly, didnt the South Korean goverment invest a lot of money in giving every citizen a 100Mbps line?

Originally posted by genjai
@Kenshin
If I remember correctly, didnt the South Korean goverment invest a lot of money in giving every citizen a 100Mbps line?

No. South Korean government never spent too much on anything technological or educational for that matter. Though the government overrides and interferes a lot, not every home has 100Mbps line yet. I don’t know the exact number but my guess is that every one out of five home now has at least 13-50Mbps VDSL and every one out of twenty has 100Mbps line. The rest still use either ADSL or coaxial cable, mostly either 2Mbps or 8-10Mbps. You know, ADSL and cable are asynchronous meaning the download speed may be up to 10Mbps but the upload is limited to something like 80KB/s. That is not true of VDSL and FTTH. 100Mbps means 100Mbps upload and 100Mbps download.

But, yes, the government will in the end give every citizen in this country at least 100Mbps internet and HDTV in the next few years, just like every major government in the world has given its citizens electricity and clean water in the past century. There will be (a negligible percentage of) execptions just as there are still homes in the US that are not equipped with proper electricity and water system.

The Ministery of Information and Telecommunication of South Korea has just almost won the fight over the next TV standard. It has been the Digital HDTV of the United States standard, and not European nor Japanese. Because the quality is better and South Korean companies like LG already have a lot of patents and commercial capability to produce and export in relation to HDTV. The major TV broadcasting companies such as MBC and SBS largely insisted South Korea change the standard to European. Sentiment of anti-Americanism that has been very popular in South Korea during the 1990s and early 2000s helped them nearly win but technological and commercial advantages helped persuade the best-informed people to choose the US standard. Cheaper, better, and more profitable.

Less dramatic though, a lot of companies and technologiests have also fought over telecommunication standards in this country. Competition and national drive contribute for South Korean industries to leap ahead.

What can one do with HDTV recorders and HDTV-ready PCs without the means to transfer the data and without the media to store the data and without the screens to display the data? So they all need to be synchronized. Thus, 100Mbps to GbE lines for all homes, HD-DVD recorders, and HDTV display monitors that are as cheap as currently most popular computer monitors. They are already announcing billion-dollar-cut in the investment cost for the next 7-th generation LCD panel production lines, that are going to produce cheaper 40-inch HD-ready LCD moniotors.

And all of that is going to be cheap :wink:
Btw. is it hard to get citizenship, it’s going to take ages before I can come anything close to what you have there